The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

It's really easy to get ahead of yourselves lads, talk of any other opponents apart from Valur is folly. I bet the Albanians thought they were in the driving seat after their first leg..... You boys are like that before a balls kicked.

6 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

Go Ahead Eagles sounds like a great trip, if it's them.

One word of caution, the Dutch police place all European games as high risk - it's the reason we only got 1,300 tickets for the AZ game a couple of years back despite asking for significantly more (the stadium was 1/3 empty) - and AZ willing to give more. So you may only receive around 500 for Deventer.

There's one added bonus and I know this is waay getting ahead of ourselves here, but if it is Go Ahead Eagles and you're able to get past them, St Mirren will be seeded in the Playoff Round and avoid the likes of Chelsea, Fiorentina, Real Betis and Copenhagen.

I'll settle for getting past Valur first!

Anyway, I can't go to the away leg of the next round.:bairn

Just now, tree house tam said:

It's really easy to get ahead of yourselves lads, talk of any other opponents apart from Valur is folly. I bet the Albanians thought they were in the driving seat after their first leg..... You boys are like that before a balls kicked.

We're well aware of that thank you. It is St.Mirren we're talking about here.

I'm already mentally preparing myself for the absolute piss taking from the rest of P&B if we do f**k it up against Valur.

12 hours ago, Ric said:

And continuing a theme absolutely no c**t is interested in, translating Valur from Icelandic to English google tells me it's gyrfalcon.

I presume the bird on their badge is just that.

Valur Reykjavík Logo PNG Vector (AI) Free Download

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

We're well aware of that thank you. It is St.Mirren we're talking about here.

I'm already mentally preparing myself for the absolute piss taking from the rest of P&B if we do f**k it up against Valur.

Par for us would be getting past Valur and going out in the next round, when you look at the players Go Ahead or Brann have they would be clear favourites against us.

I think Valur will be tricky. Despite their win in Albania, their home form is much better than away so I'd be happy with a draw on Thursday, even a narrow defeat would give us a good chance.

9 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I think it's difficult not to get carried away after such a long wait to qualify for anything like this. I have FULLY got the fear now about Valur and I think we'll lose the first leg and leave ourselves with a mountain to climb at home. BUT I've still found myself planning ferry crossings in case we get to play in the Netherlands. I'm aware of the mentalness but can't quite stop. 

17 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Par for us would be getting past Valur and going out in the next round, when you look at the players Go Ahead or Brann have they would be clear favourites against us.

I think Valur will be tricky. Despite their win in Albania, their home form is much better than away so I'd be happy with a draw on Thursday, even a narrow defeat would give us a good chance.

I think the biggest factor is that Valur have played 14 games and have a settled team, which is well up to speed.

Due to injuries and an unscheduled departure, we're still trying to sort out a system and the players are way behind Valur in terms of match fitness.

We arguably have better players, but as supporters of other teams have mentioned, you can't underestimate the advantage of a team currently mid-season playing against a team who hasn't kicked a ball in a competitive match yet.

55 minutes ago, Hendo said:

From their showing in the first leg at home, it gave me hope that we can certainly compete against them over there. 

Vllaznia done well in the first leg and just went in full steam at 50\50s etc, though their weakness was playing out from the back when they weren't good enough to do that. Valur pounced on this weakness in the second leg early doors and scored with every shot on goal. On paper, a very impressive scoreline though Vllaznia at best looked like an amateur team on the night.

I am always the optimistic of the group and look for things that could go in our favour. The squad arrived back late over the weekend from Albania in multiple flights. It looks like their game last night was postponed though, possibly due to that inconvenience.

We have injuries, some players not fit yet, new players in and no-one match fit against a team doing well and half way through their season. Valur will be difficult opponents and getting past them won't be easy. We'll improve as we get games under our belt but will we get the chance?  I'd be happy for any kind of win over them and certainly not looking beyond that.

18 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Seen this on Twitter or X or whatever it’s called.

120 Swedish Karona = £8.60 that's good value to watch your team in a European tie.  Nice one thanks for the link. 

15 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

We have injuries, some players not fit yet, new players in and no-one match fit against a team doing well and half way through their season. Valur will be difficult opponents and getting past them won't be easy. We'll improve as we get games under our belt but will we get the chance?  I'd be happy for any kind of win over them and certainly not looking beyond that.

Most of us have our feet firmly on the ground. No nothing about this team though I expect they have  big physical  players well ahead of us in game time. The only thing that worries me is a sell out crowd at our stadium. No idea why but large home gates are usually followed with a poor result. That's just my nerves kicking in.  PS getting a beer in for the game ?  Nearly every so called foreign beer is brewed in the UK. Lidl in stock just now has Staropramen brewed in in the Chech Republic what a difference compared to the UK brewed version. 5ltr Budvar barrow for £18 again brewed in the Chech unlike supermarket Budvar bottles brewed in the UK. The difference is night and day. 

7 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

The only thing that worries me is a sell out crowd at our stadium. No idea why but large home gates are usually followed with a poor result. 

i don’t get this thinking 🤔 the home end was not far from full most games last season and we did it ok 👍🏼 maybe the extra 800 home fans in the away end will spook us?

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

I think the biggest factor is that Valur have played 14 games and have a settled team, which is well up to speed.

Due to injuries and an unscheduled departure, we're still trying to sort out a system and the players are way behind Valur in terms of match fitness.

We arguably have better players, but as supporters of other teams have mentioned, you can't underestimate the advantage of a team currently mid-season playing against a team who hasn't kicked a ball in a competitive match yet.

Saw a wee bit of the Robinson press conference on the news yesterday. Seemed along the lines of "tough game but no excuses for not playing well. Only a 1 hour 55 minute flight; same temperature as here." Liked the attitude.

4 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Saw a wee bit of the Robinson press conference on the news yesterday. Seemed along the lines of "tough game but no excuses for not playing well. Only a 1 hour 55 minute flight; same temperature as here." Liked the attitude.

Iceland: closer to Paisley than Dingwall confirmed.

Hearing The Cave and De Beers are planning on showing the game on Thursday for folk that aren't making it over, hoping to see some good pics and videos from back home as well as from Iceland, buzzing for it 🍻 🇮🇸

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Understandable but I think it's folly not to have one eye on planning ahead in terms of travel and accessibilty in a best case scenario as well, particularly as the draw for the next round was made before this round has even started, so it's sort of designed to make sure supporters get ahead of themselves a wee bit.

We've not kicked a ball in anger on the European stage in nigh on four decades, so I don't think you'll find many St. Mirren supporters feeling this tie here is a done deal by any stretch.

Valur is definitely not going to be an easy tie by any means but all things being equal, I do reckon we're a better side but that means little. The great unbalance is that they are well into their domestic season.

Edited by djchapsticks

2 hours ago, medals said:

Valur came from gyrfalcon... so its a falcon. Bird of prey 

As I said it's a gyrfalcon, which is a species of falcon found in Arctic regions

Edited by FTOF

We haven’t played one proper competitive game and yet, some folk think we will ease past a team who are second in their league. They are also midway through their own domestic season, they already have a European game under their belts.

This is going to be a hard two games given those reasons stated and the number of new players we have.

I would imagine we will have enough about us to step it up a level from the previous pre season kickabouts, but I’m taking nothing for granted.

Edited by glenburn bud

Just now, glenburn bud said:

We haven’t played one proper competitive game and yet, some folk think we will ease past a team who are second in their league. The are also midway through their own domestic season, they already have a European game under their belts.

This is going to be a hard two games given those reasons stated and the number of new players we have.

I would imagine we will have enough about us to step it up a level from the previous pre season kickabouts, but I’m taking nothing for granted.

Spot on. Having seen us pre season we are not firing on all cylinders. 

The usual partnerships across thd park are not there yet and we are still getting used to a new keeper. 

We look a bit short of sharpness too. 

This is not going to be easy and we need to be on it from the first whistle