The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Happening guys, now that the dust and my hangover has settled after the 1st leg in Valur. I’ve now uploaded a video documenting it. 

Don’t worry, not just a vlog of me talking cause nobody wants to see that 🤣. Footage from the match starts just after 5 minutes if u want to get straight to that. 

Any views and new subscribers appreciated 🫡

3 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Actually another reason I want St Mirren to win is Gylfi Sigurdsson... however, the full story, as far as I know, hasn't be revealed other than he handed himself in once the age of the girl was known.

I didn't see anything of the first leg, did he look like a higher standard of football player (certainly not of character) than the rest on the pitch?

No, he was poor. Worse than that, he was (understandably) avoiding the Saints fans. Played much of the game as far away from our fans as possible. No hiding for him on Thursday though. Booooooooo

13 minutes ago, Torfason said:

That miss from Mandron in the second half two yards from goal. 

Still can’t believe we never managed to score in that first leg.

We can’t afford to pass up those kind of chances on Thursday night. 
Full house behind us and hopefully everyone that bit sharper to see us get a result. 
I’m feeling pretty nervous already.

10 hours ago, Kempes said:

No, he was poor. Worse than that, he was (understandably) avoiding the Saints fans. Played much of the game as far away from our fans as possible. No hiding for him on Thursday though. Booooooooo

I'd much rather the fans concentrated on supporting the team.

But whatever floats your boat.

St Mirren finished 5th last season, meaning we qualified for Europe.

If only we still had the strikers that helped us to finish in that position. 

Edited by saintmurn

17 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Actually another reason I want St Mirren to win is Gylfi Sigurdsson... however, the full story, as far as I know, hasn't be revealed other than he handed himself in once the age of the girl was known.

https://www.icelandreview.com/news/charges-dropped-against-footballer-gylfi-thor-sigurdsson/

All charges dropped apparently...

“The investigation team and Crown Prosecution Service have been working together and reached the decision that the evidence available at this time does not reach the threshold set out on the Code for Crown Prosecutors.”

What is interesting is that he was facing a travel ban at the time, and technically with the UK now being outside of the EU, it could choose to block his entry purely based on the fact he was initially charged. It's not happening, I don't see the Home Office giving a shit.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Sigurdsson is not travelling with the Valur squad according to reports on Twitter.

My post would probably explain why. He had a travel ban imposed, although it will have be removed when the charges are dropped, you stay on the government's radar, and if you try to enter the country, you can be refused entry. This all comes under a bit of a nebulous category not a "fit and proper person" thing. The same sort of rules that blocked (rightly) Gert Wilders from coming to the UK.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

On a side note, I wasn't sure if he travelled to Albania, he did..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/cw0y1d1yxgxt#Line-ups

..so perhaps *if* he is not travelling now, then it could be just down to injury.

Or he heard the abuse he'd taken last Thursday which flew largely under the radar and knows that nearly 8000 supporters giving him it both barrels on Thursday will throw a lot of national exposure and headlines to the fore that he almost certainly wants to leave lying in the past.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Or he heard the abuse he'd taken last Thursday which flew largely under the radar and knows that nearly 8000 supporters giving him it both barrels on Thursday will throw a lot of national exposure and headlines to the fore that he almost certainly wants to leave lying in the past.

I never noticed anything like that on the TV coverage?

Either way, surely a boost to Saints if he doesn’t travel.

1 minute ago, Bobby_F said:

He was being roundly and loudly booed every time he was on the ball, could even hear it coming from the coverage in the pub.

He was also getting it stinking from a few when walking up the tunnel at FT.

Sigurdsson was visibly upset trudging off the pitch in Iceland after the game. One of the Valur coaches went to console him as he walked towards the stand and said coach then stuck the middle finger up at the Saints fans 🤣

Either way it's a boost to us if he's not playing.

15 hours ago, Torfason said:

How have they managed to pull together highlights of a 0-0 game and leave out the incident that saw one of the teams get a red card? 🤣

9 minutes ago, Div said:

Sigurdsson was visibly upset trudging off the pitch in Iceland after the game. One of the Valur coaches went to console him as he walked towards the stand and said coach then stuck the middle finger up at the Saints fans 🤣

Either way it's a boost to us if he's not playing.

In Sigurdsson and the suspension of Aaron Johannson, they've lost 100 international caps of experience between them which is a definite boost to us.

33 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Ha ha. You obviously weren’t listening closely enough. 🤣

There were clear chants of Paedo! Paedo!

I posted at the time that I wished the fans would shut up as it took me right back to the league cup semi against Killie. Andy McLaren was about to take a free kick outside the box and the Saints fans were singing Junkie! Junkie! He promptly sent over a brilliant free kick which someone stuck away. He turned round to the fans and gave it the big fingers. 

I was convinced the Paedo chants would encourage a similar thing. 🤦‍♂️