The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Well, that was pleasantly straightforward.

Still can’t get over the turnaround in Toyosi over the past couple of years. What a difference maker he is for us.

What a night.

Have to be honest and say I felt really emotional before the game. Was taken to games with my grandpa who passed away a few years ago. Luckily got to share the cup win with him but always remember growing up listening to stories of Europe and have to be honest never thought I would experience nights like this. Getting to share this with my son was just incredible. 

Every player played his part tonight. Bring on Brann next week. 

20 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Well, that was pleasantly straightforward.

Still can’t get over the turnaround in Toyosi over the past couple of years. What a difference maker he is for us.

What a nuisance he must be to play against. His hold up play for a smaller guy is excellent as well, always manages to get his body in between the ball and the defender and looks strong even against big centre halves that tower over him. 

What a great day that was today, walking from the town centre and soaking in the atmosphere outside the stadium for an hour or so before the game. Stood at the grass just behind the newsagents on Greenhill Road and it was such a good vibe; families standing getting pictures taken, watching guys bump into old friends they hadn’t seen in yonks, and the police laughing and joking with fans that, although openly drinking, were evidently there for a good time with no hint of misbehaviour. Loved it. 

Hope the club confirms the home leg is the 8th soon. Doesn't make sense that we'd need to move it based on the fact we'll have played at home on the same day as Killie before many times. 

I spoke to SSM (Sir Stephen McGinn) after the game tonight and reminded him of the goal he scored against the Welsh side The New Saints in the Challenge cup in 2017. We won 4-1 that night too!

That goal and his desire to win was as important as Shuggie Murray’s away at Forthbank. 

IMG_1578.thumb.jpeg.a89e00facac9ffb31e716f1803ca4646.jpeg

That game changed the course of our season and we stayed up in the Championship on the last day away to Hibs to avoid a drop into the seaside leagues.

Fast forward 7 years and we are playing in Europe. Incredible.

IMG_1579.thumb.jpeg.9e831509e36d61d631793accec1ab6e4.jpeg

Enjoy tonight Buddies! We get to do it again next week.

Edited by Molotov

How good was that?

Rooney and Lacovitti scoring debute goals.

And O'Hara's and the front 3 play for Toyosi's too.

This team/squad has stepped up a gear this season.

Let's get it going on Sunday too. Momentum and the battle for being in that no. On the park.

Crowd were magnificent too.

Just now, Doonhame Buddie said:

I’ll never criticise Scottish linesmen again*. The performance of the North Stand lino was worse than anything I’ve seen**. 

* Yes I will. 
**Apart from the fat unemployed Tory 

Why was a linesman at the away end?

I thought the Danish officials were decent. They weren’t perfect (who is), but they were far less officious and fussy than Scottish refs. Late on, when a Valur player went a bit kamikaze on Gogic, the ref went full Willie Collum for a monent, running at speed before brandishing a yellow. Other than that, thought the last thing on their mind was to make it all about them, and in doing so, pissing off the entire stadium, home and away fans.

Oh, and fcuk VAR. Fire that fcuking abomination into the sun. Did we benefit? Yeah. Did Valur get a penalty, which was taken without fuss and without a five minute VAR delay? Yeah. Did anyone think that any of the goals might be chalked off because someone brushed against someone’s shoulder in a previous ‘phase’? Naw.

Get. It. To. Fcuk.

Edited by pozbaird

Pretty clinical display despite the obvious lack of quality from the Icelanders. I thought they had looked a reasonable outfit last week but they were really poor tonight. That said we swept them aside and that is bound to build confidence ahead of Sunday and then next midweek.  Brann should be a step up but we will be going into that match on the up, who knows we might just keep this run going. Big Rooney is a weapon at set pieces and Taylor had the cigar out tonight, front two did well and a great strike from O'hara. Onwards and upwards, sure beats god awful league Cup group games.

I think tonight probably reminded everyone that o’hara is the business. Top performance from him.

In the post match robbo said they’d been working on corners and it showed. Imo Ohara should be taking them now. Consistent and could see him and gogic communicating what play they would be doing for it. 

Massive save from the new goalie not long after our first goal. He’s looking a quality signing. 

bbc sport singling out Idowu as their top be to watch for this season. 

Great performance but need to brush off some off the daft balls/challenges or a better team might be more clinical. Can see the improvement from pre season so I’m sure those will be ironed out. 

It was good to see the high spirits before the match. People having a Bev on the grass at the spar with Valur fans. Plenty of police but not spoiling the party either. 

On to the next one!!!

1 hour ago, AberdeenBud said:

Paisley next Thursday vs SK Brann, as the seeded team they'll be at home for the 2nd leg.  

You are indeed at home first, but only because of the draw, nothing to do with seeding.

Valur manager Arnar Gretarsson: "Today we didn't match them in physically. They were one or two leagues ahead of us. We couldn't play our game.

"A lot of these guys haven't played in this atmosphere, they were a little bit afraid to play. St Mirren today were better than us."

O'Hara was absolute class.  Strong, committed, drove us forward, and what a goal.  

Delighted he's still with us but always imagined it would be a short stay,  easily good enough to play at a higher level.  

Bergen is looking pricey,  even with direct flights from ABZ. 😑

Edited by AberdeenBud