The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

32 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Maybe they turn the crowd noise right down because of that really sweary guy 😂

It sounded like the microphones just weren't set up to catch crowd noise tbh, as it did sound flat.

But genuinely who gives a f**k, 90% of the comments mocking the crowd will be jealousy.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It sounded like the microphones just weren't set up to catch crowd noise tbh, as it did sound flat.

But genuinely who gives a f**k, 90% of the comments mocking the crowd will be jealousy.

I think the first half in particular it did go quiet at times to be honest. There was an awful lot of nervous tension in the air and although W7 carried on their singing and drumming as usual, the rest of the ground was very quiet by our standards, even the W4 section where I sit that usually gets apologised on behalf of was particularly subdued.

Call it the occasion, the fact the opposition weren't doing anything really antagonistic, the officiating being of a decent standard or a combination of all of these. But there was little to get the crowd genuinely wound up and everyone loves the spectacle of a wound up St. Mirren support.

Think once that second goal went in though and supporters realised that we weren't going to go full St. Mirren, it got a lot noisier, the last 20 minutes was as loud as I've heard in a long time, even though I stole a march and had mtly head down as I was booking 8 flights to Bergen right there in the ground 😅

Edited by djchapsticks

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I was in the family stand last night and I was surprised how noisy and boisterous it was. Young and old celebrating and singing before, during and all through the game.

My watch captured the sound decibels way above 100Db many times throughout the match. 

Atmosphere did drop around 30 minutes in first half likely due to nerves.

It is a bit of a weird stadium with acoustics. It’s certainly different to the old NorthBank at Love St. 

Thoroughly enjoyed that last night. 

Just now, djchapsticks said:

I think the first half in particular it did go quiet at times to be honest. There was an awful lot of nervous tension in the air and although W7 carried on their singing and drumming as usual, the rest of the ground was very quiet by our standards, even the W4 section where I sit that usually gets apologised on behalf of.

Think once that second goal went in though and supporters realised that we weren't going to go full St. Mirren, it got a lot noisier, the last 20 minutes was as loud as I've heard in a long time, even though I stole a march and had mtly head down as I was booking 8 flights to Bergen right there in the ground 😅

I was in W5 and thought the atmosphere was the best I’ve seen at the new ground, second half especially as you say. Even had the middle of the West Bank starting chants with W7 joining in which doesn’t usually happen. Was surprised to see a few people on here say it sounded flat but as RandomGuy says it doesn’t really matter to anyone that wasn’t there. 

28 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It looks like we will be facing stronger Norwegian opposition than Killie, SK Brann currently sitting 3rd (of 16) in their league and Tromso in 10th.

Finished level on points with Tromso last season.

Huge step up for us though: missed out on the group stage last season because they lost a penalty shootout to AZ Alkmaar. Like Valur, they're also halfway through their league season.

Just now, Molotov said:

It is a bit of a weird stadium with acoustics. It’s certainly different to the old NorthBank at Love St. 

Thoroughly enjoyed that last night. 

The North Bank generated some cracking noise. The Caley stand was on another level altogether though, always found it a typical St. Mirren thing to give the away support a stand that had to be one of the biggest noise generators in Scottish football.

I still remember being at the court, the day we lost 5-1 to Morton in 1999 and the 5th goal going in and the noise sounding like it was coming from about 50 yards away rather than half a mile.

7 hours ago, Marinello said:

Motherwell fan here. Went to game last preceded by a fine time spent in ( I think it's called) the Court Bar.

St Mirren look as strong as any Saints team for a long time. Thoroughly deserved win. Scoreline flattered an unimpressive Valur. O'Hara ( can we have him back?) and Rooney stood out + you've won a watch with your goalie.

Only disappointment was being unable to pick up a programme. Any ide if another run of progs will be done? If not I'd be happy to pay for one if any Buddie has one available.

Best of luck in next round.

I dropped in to the club shop yesterday morning when I was collecting my car park pass. I bought a couple of t shirts and picked up a couple of programmes, but was advised that you have to pay cash for these as that’s the arrangement in place. The guy mentioned that the Curtis group are usually good for printing more if they run out. I hope they do, as we arrived at the ground before 7pm and they were already sold out. Otherwise, top marks on and off the pitch. Players and fans were top class. Valur were like a division 1 or 2 team though, so we’ll need to be on it again next Thursday. Bring on the Hibees…

Edited by Kempes

8 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Direct from Gatwick looks the cheapest option, even taking into account travel to London. 

Yep,

Me and the other Jersey poster on here were straight onto that after the game last night.

Norwegian Airways Gatwick to Bergen Wed-Fri only £210 each return.

edited to say just checked and both direct flights to Bergen from Gatwick on the Wednesday are now sold out. 

Edited by Jersey Bud

Brann: 3rd in the league, but out of form, no wins in 5 league rounds. 

They sold their key DM Heltne Nilsen to Aberdeen for £300k, which is nothing compared to his importance. They had to let him go though because he complains every July. He desperately wanted to go abroad again and Aberdeen doubled his wage'ish. He has not been replaced and they now play without a warrior type of DM.

Struggling a bit with injuries, key CB Sery Larsen got a knee problem after colliding with the post a couple of weeks ago. Their regular RB is also injured thanks to Gilmores. A youngster made his first appearance at home vs Go Ahead. LB Soltvedt is also struggling together with CB/LB Kristiansen, but they are both fit enough right now.

Brann is a 4-3-3 team and are known for their aggressive and high speed football, but it's not been working that well this season, especially the last weeks. They dont have the key to unlock it when teams park the bus.

They got a goalie who is very comfortable with ball in feet and they prefer to start the attack from there, but they do switch to more direct style if needed.

Hard to say how they start up front because they got lots of options, but the rest of the team is probably 

Dyngeland

Hellan, Pallesen Knudsen, Kristiansen, Soltvedt

Pedersen, Kornvig, Myhre 

Brann stadium got a capacity of 14 500 in Europe. 16 700 in the league. Hybrid grass which is fast. Been sold out vs Arouca, AZ and Go Ahead, but lots of people checks the 1st leg result first.

They sold out the away section in Deventer, but wont happen in Paisley. Too expensive flights on short notice, but some probably dont understand that the distances are quite different from Norway. Branns "local derby" in Norway is vs Viking, a 5 hour drive.

Id guess 200 fans will show up.

Edited by RagaRocker

26 minutes ago, Jersey Bud said:

Yep,

Me and the other Jersey poster on here were straight onto that after the game last night.

Norwegian Airways Gatwick to Bergen Wed-Fri only £210 each return.

The flight times from Gatwick to Bergen are perfect but trying to marry that up with Glasgow to Gatwick flights is not so easy. Might need to be a train job into Euston then on to Gatwick. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

I wonder how much the club made after expenses over the two ties.

Factor in the prize money for getting to next round, the BBC coverage and the home attendance revenue minus the cost of travel, hotel, etc.

So what impact will this have on our playing budget? Will Robbo be able to add more depth to the squad as a result?

Tom English said on the radio last night that Saints are already guaranteed €900,000 so far.

Tremendous game, tremendous result.  However, that display before the game was awful. It's time we sack these things off and just let the fans make their own noise and colour as the teams walk out.  £3k for that apparently.. 🤣

10 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

The flight times from Gatwick to Bergen are perfect but trying to marry that up with Glasgow to Gatwick flights is not so easy. Might need to be a train job into Euston then on to Gatwick. 

Have a look at Tuesday night Glasgow flight and a wee overnight in travellodge

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Friskysteed said:

Shhhh🤫 

Elvis was mericfully binned long ago for some Tommy Robinson level shite on here that basically amounted to him saying 'around minorites, never relax' in more words than that.

Edited by djchapsticks

40 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

It was easy (pun intended) for us, 4 Jersey to Gatwick flights daily with EasyJet.

37 minutes ago, Billy_Gunn said:

Tremendous game, tremendous result.  However, that display before the game was awful. It's time we sack these things off and just let the fans make their own noise and colour as the teams walk out.  £3k for that apparently.. 🤣

yeah they just simply don’t work in small stadia. 

2 hours ago, Insaintee said:

Bran took themselves further to the third qualification round in the conference league with a win over Go Ahead Eagles Thursday night.  Later Same night it be came clear that Brann mets Scottish St Mirrin from outside Glasgow in the next round. There is big interest for tickets both home and away. That is that for Brann now. 

Well done the Brann. They know the score. 😎