The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Rooney quickly becoming a favourite of mine this season. Shithousery got us that goal. 

I think Robbos interview was fair (all be it trying to be positive) on radio. I think he basically said could play better and fair few players not at the races. 

Not sure on the Ayunga and Mandron combo against that team. Stephen Thomson had it right on the radio , I think we only got on successful run behind the defenders when they were on park. But I do get we are trying to manage team around fixture congestion. 

A love gogic and balcome but it was a bit cringe the over the top celebrating of the save when there was a guy on goal, to then lose a goal  20 seconds later with their short corner.

Not normally someone to moan about refs (just used to it now). But did think the ref wasn’t consistent imo. 

Edited by zildjian

13 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Nogies first to the ball, physical , play the ref expected nothing else. However we never gave up and we have another excellent goalkeeper. 1-1 Not mission impossible but you would be silly to put money on Saints to win in Norway. 

You thought they were physical  ??? I thought they were simply better footballers but we kept at it. Tough task next week but all I hoped for after tonight was still to be in the tie and it gives us something to roar on next week. Canny wait.

2 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Ryan Jack getting the VIP treatment tonight and sitting two seats away from Keith Leslie. Just saying.

Some bluenose in Last Post accosted me asking if we'd take Ryan Jack as captain. Td him we have perfectly fine captain thanks. What/who is Nogies?

2 hours ago, AW saint said:

Robbo has got it wrong tonight. The two upfront are not doing anything.

We are too narrow the same as the first half against hibs. 

Goalie keeping us in it. 

Has to be changes at half time. 

The ball through the middle is catching us out time after time. 

Teams too narrow but getting caught out all the time with the ball  through the middle? 
Hmmm. 

4 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Ryan Jack getting the VIP treatment tonight and sitting two seats away from Keith Leslie. Just saying.

Fully fit and injury free… I think he’d be a good signing tbh. Track record suggests that he struggles to keep either of those two. So would be a gamble that could really pay off though to be fair. 

1 minute ago, jimmy boo said:

Some bluenose in Last Post accosted me asking if we'd take Ryan Jack as captain. Td him we have perfectly fine captain thanks. What/who is Nogies?

Was employed from Norway for over 20 years. I always called them Nogies rather than Norwegian. 

Brann are excellent technical team, probably better than anything outside Celtic. They were far better than us, played the ref, and should have won comfortably but didn't as we kept going. 

Thought the line up and formation didn't work. Against Brann 2 boys up top were passengers, their midfield dragged ours about and we badly needed a Kiltie / O'Hara in there. One of the poorest Saints performances I've seen in recent times. 

Fair play cuts both ways so delightful we scored from not giving it back. Probably fire them up for the return mind you.

Balcombe is a star. 

3 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

It’s how oil rig workers describe Norwegian fellow workers, its not meant to be derogatory as far as I’m aware.

I could be wrong but Meadowroad saint worked with Norwegian lads on the rigs, he will confirm.

12 hours ago, weebud said:

As devil's advocate........what if someone goes to more away games than home games because of where they live, doesn't have a season ticket for obvious reasons and therefore doesn't financially support St Mirren as much as someone who attends games at The SMiSA, who should get priority there.

Well, if you’re not going to home games and putting money into the club, hard luck imo. 

Last week, sun splitting the sky, t-shirt weather, a stroll to a 4-1 win. Brilliant.

Tonight though.... that was my image of a European night. What  I thought Slavia Prague and Mechelen must have been like. Wet, floodlights on from kick-off. Up against a "crack European side". Probably the one I'll remember.

Anyway, lucky to get a draw and could easily be 0-4 over there. We'll have to be be brilliant and get a bit of luck. Football though.... anything can happen. 

Olusanya a massive loss for the second leg.

I had serious doubts when I saw Ayunga/Mandron up front. I think my doubts were justified. That combo does not work. 

Problem is I don’t think we have a replacement for Olusanya.

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

9 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Last week, sun splitting the sky, t-shirt weather, a stroll to a 4-1 win. Brilliant.

Tonight though.... that was my image of a European night. What  I thought Slavia Prague and Mechelen must have been like. Wet, floodlights on from kick-off. Up against a "crack European side". Probably the one I'll remember.

Anyway, lucky to get a draw and could easily be 0-4 over there. We'll have to be be brilliant and get a bit of luck. Football though.... anything can happen. 

Said the same thing to my pal tonight, I was a kid when we played Feyenoord and St etienne and tonight was exactly the type of night that I remember it being. 

26 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

Teams too narrow but getting caught out all the time with the ball  through the middle? 
Hmmm. 

You can still play narrow and get caught with a ball through the centre. Robbo said it himself about the ball through the centre