The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

It is very early on, but wouldn't be surprised if we've regressed slightly from last season and other teams have improved.

Injuries to Kiltie, McMenamin and O'Hara have been costly and they make the middle of the park weak. I think Baccus has been a bit of a miss in the middle, especially as CBM isn't playing at top form.

Brann will be beyond us I think - but hopefully still be competitive in the Prem when we get some bodies back. 

21 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Totally agree. Our midfield 3 sits off teams. We miss O'Hara and Kiltie who press players. 

Still think we need a more dominant player to sit in the middle. I thought Smyth might do that job. 

CbM has not started well. Could the transfer talk affected him? His performances have been poor

I agree with you here. I do wonder if CBM is playing with an niggle though. Im sure he was out injured then seemed to return quick.

22 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

It is very early on, but wouldn't be surprised if we've regressed slightly from last season and other teams have improved.

Injuries to Kiltie, McMenamin and O'Hara have been costly and they make the middle of the park weak. I think Baccus has been a bit of a miss in the middle, especially as CBM isn't playing at top form.

Brann will be beyond us I think - but hopefully still be competitive in the Prem when we get some bodies back. 

Killie and Hibs certainly haven't improved on showings so far!

1 hour ago, billyg said:

I really hope that Thursday nights game is not an occasion I'll be watching through my fingers , I'm really fearing the worst. We are desperate for a mobile sitting midfielder , and leaving our backline exposed to the ability that Brann have will only have one outcome. Aberdeen had their two old plodders in the midfield yesterday but we had nothing closing them down . 

Yep I think Thursday is going to be a sore one Brann and their fans are very confident. Norwegian FA letting Brann rest will severely lean on their favour. Saints fans traveling over will have a great time and made very welcome so enjoy. 

3 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Killie and Hibs certainly haven't improved on showings so far!

No, Hibs have been poor. Difficult to judge Killie on the basis of Parkhead and 70 odd mins with 10 men.  

Even so, I think it will be a great result to get top 6 this year.

Thursday obviously took a lot out of us, that was pretty evident second half yesterday and that was even after making 5 changes to the starting XI.

Looking at Kilmarnock's performance yesterday probably points to a similar story for them and if you remember last season saw both Hearts and Aberdeen struggle badly in the opening weeks of the season as they tried to cope with the Thursday/Sunday shifts.

Easier to cope with those once the season is in full swing, but it's very difficult to do it when the players have only just returned to competitive action.

There's being fit and then there's being match fit, it's a really difficult situation.

Kilitie has been a big loss in the final third but the loss of O'Hara has really been key for me. We're really missing his energy in the middle of the pitch particualrly with likes of Dennis, Smyth and Idowu still getting up to speed.

I thought CBM was the big disappointment the last couple of games though, his set pieces were shocking yesterday. Dunno if it's the speculation about him moving on, but he's been nowhere close to being at his best.

Anyone who watched that game last Thursday would know why Brann are massive favourites to beat us this week. They played us off the park and if we turn in the same sort of display in Bergen then there's no doubt they will beat us comfortably.

I'm really looking forward to the trip, but the game terrifies me a wee bit to be honest!

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Yep I think Thursday is going to be a sore one Brann and their fans are very confident. Norwegian FA letting Brann rest will severely lean on their favour. Saints fans traveling over will have a great time and made very welcome so enjoy. 

Let's prove them wrong. Stranger things have happened and I'd always back our team to compete if we are completely on it.

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Would agree with those saying that calm heads are needed. We've had one game where we were heavily outplayed at, frankly, a higher level of football which isn't going to be something we spend all season facing, and another disappointing result. However, losing at Pittodrie is not a disaster in isolation imho, albeit I accept these are games we do need to get the odd result from if aiming at top half again. 

I also think people are being a bit harsh on the forwards, as I think they are all useful in certain situations (I don't really think Ayunga and Mandron complement each other at all well, though).

This said, looking at what could happen if certain players get hurt does give me some pause.

If Gogic gets hurt, do we have someone who can be that lynchpin in the centre? I am not talking about someone who can be "shoved there and do a job" but an actual replacement. I think some fans are too ready to say "just shove Rooney there" or whatever, without considering that means a lack of cover in that guy's position.

If Toyosi were to get hurt, we would lack pace up front imho. I think Scott shows signs of reading the game very well but isn't as quick and post-injury Ayunga has (unfortunately) seemed to lost a yard. Mandron is there as a foil to lay the quick guys on. I believe Robbo himself has suggested he wants a pacy forward and I don't think it's hard to see why. You have to look forwards but this is one reason why I was not thrilled to see Greive go - he was also quite quick and could make a nuisance of himself. Can't go backwards, as I say, but we want someone like that with maybe the ability to be more than a super sub.

The injury we least want to happen is goalkeeper IMO. Balcombe has, apart from the first goal yesterday, been excellent and big Peter gives me the fear every time I see him play. I don't like to criticise a player but I'm not sure he's of the required standard if he had to fill in for any length of time. I think another back up keeper would be essential, the difficulty is getting someone in who would be prepared to sit on the bench most of the season.

I think what Brann will fear the most on Thursday will be set pieces and crosses into the box. It is definitely one of our big weaknesses in defence, as you can see on the corner before your goal. If you can manage to get a few more corners and throw ins near the box I don’t see why you can’t get a goal against us. Except you will of course then leave lots of room for us to counter on, which we definitely will take advantage of. And if we get to pass around like last week we will feel in control and build confidence. So you really have to pick your poison so to speak. 

Is the match on Norwegian TV? heading over there without a ticket, had restaurant tickets but they got cancelled, (was woth a shot) . Now wondering where to watch it, if my 17yo will be allowed in a pub in the evening to watch it or if it will be a case of watching it on the TV. 

29 minutes ago, dylan_leggatt said:

Is the match on Norwegian TV? heading over there without a ticket, had restaurant tickets but they got cancelled, (was woth a shot) . Now wondering where to watch it, if my 17yo will be allowed in a pub in the evening to watch it or if it will be a case of watching it on the TV. 

Its on streaming in Norway, VGTV, but I guess most pubs will show it. I also think it should be np to find a place for a 17yo, but I guess it has to be a place where the staff got some overview and not in a packed place. They will lose the rights to serve beer for at least 2 weeks if there are controllers (or what you call it) and they catch your son drinking beer. Let me think.

Edited by RagaRocker

29 minutes ago, dylan_leggatt said:

A responsible father would surely have sorted his son out with some fake ID. 🤣

56 minutes ago, dylan_leggatt said:

The game is being shown in the FootballPuben where all the Saints fans. tickets or no tickets, are gathering.

All ages welcome.

https://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/opinions/2303-norway-were-on-our-way

Bring your raincoat. Its going to rain from 06:00 till midnight. Not that much though, up to 4-5 mm pr hour around kickoff, but bit less earlier.

I btw recommend Namastey Indian Restaurant, which is close to Fotballpuben.

If you want something half priced you got the mediocre Brød&Vin, but portions are nice.

Favorite pizza place: Bien Centro.

Edited by RagaRocker