The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

9 minutes ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

If Urminsky was good enough then he would be playing.

Devil's advocate, for all that people go on about Langfield, what goalies has he progressively made better?

Alnwick was already established, Carson a proven professional, Samson experienced, Hladky was class from day one. I'm not saying he is not a good coach but we've genuinely just signed very well in that department up until now. It wasn't like he made Hemming any better than he was at Killie, and Balcombe actually seems to have regressed.

You get some goalies who are just made for a career as a backup, unless they want to drop a division or two to establish themselves as a no1. Peter has age on his side if he wants to progress and learn. 

All the goalies we have had speak highly of Langfield. Early signs from Europe showed there's definitely a great keeper in there. 

2 hours ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

If Urminsky was good enough then he would be playing.

Devil's advocate, for all that people go on about Langfield, what goalies has he progressively made better?

Alnwick was already established, Carson a proven professional, Samson experienced, Hladky was class from day one. I'm not saying he is not a good coach but we've genuinely just signed very well in that department up until now. It wasn't like he made Hemming any better than he was at Killie, and Balcombe actually seems to have regressed.

A bit harsh there, I'd think Langfield has been absolutely instrumental in the recruitment of the steady stream of good keepers we've had, and Hemming was a bit of a riot in the season before we got him.

Balcombe was tremendous early in the season but like all players, confidence is key and it looks like he's completely lost his right now for whatever reason.

If Robbo and Langfield trust Urminsky enough to have him on the bench then he must be deemed good enough to play IMO and no player should be immune from being dropped.

Not massively convinced I'd throw him in at Ibrox, that would seem a wee bit unfair, but if Balcombe has another horror show then I'd definitely be tempted to throw the dice for the County and St.Johnstone games which are shaping up to be season definers.

2 hours ago, Div said:

A bit harsh there, I'd think Langfield has been absolutely instrumental in the recruitment of the steady stream of good keepers we've had, and Hemming was a bit of a riot in the season before we got him.

Balcombe was tremendous early in the season but like all players, confidence is key and it looks like he's completely lost his right now for whatever reason.

If Robbo and Langfield trust Urminsky enough to have him on the bench then he must be deemed good enough to play IMO and no player should be immune from being dropped.

Not massively convinced I'd throw him in at Ibrox, that would seem a wee bit unfair, but if Balcombe has another horror show then I'd definitely be tempted to throw the dice for the County and St.Johnstone games which are shaping up to be season definers.

Big Peter is not the answer. Dropping Balcombe will set him back even more. 

To be honest I think the keeper position should not be a loan one. 

We should be signing a keeper who will actually be ours. I would look to the transfer window and get someone else in. 

8 hours ago, medals said:

Not Doubting Thomas, but simply reasonable targets to keep hitting.

A reasonable target for us is between 6th and 10th every season. We will be in that area again this season. Perhaps a wee but squeakier than usual as there isn't a stand out club or two totally stinking the joint up yet.

I don't expect us to be progressively better year on year. I hope we are but it's not feasible really in the cutthroat world of the Premiership. You'll have good and you'll have bad.

Which is why I simply can't get the panic even if we do have a season that falls short of the standards we have set.