The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just now, NorthBank said:

No-one claimed they were cost neutral.

In the English language the quote below is effectively a claim that it was cost neutral. "spent pretty much hee haw", "just good housekeeping", "10 players out, 10 in". It's all suggestive of no additional cost.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

No. We spent pretty much he-haw in January. 10 players out and 10 in. Two players sold (Naismith and McAllister) but most of that money was untouched. Just good housekeeping in Jan.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

In the English language the quote below is effectively a claim that it was cost neutral. "spent pretty much hee haw", "just good housekeeping", "10 players out, 10 in". It's all suggestive of no additional cost.

Ah, but he defines "hee-haw" differently to everyone else in Scotland.

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'd be very surprised if County paid as much as £30k to buy a player they were getting for free in four months time. Something nearer £10k to £15k seems more likely.

If you're going to call people out for making sweeping/unsupported statements - and use phrases such as 'utter fallacy' - then you're going to need to back this up with actual evidence. 

(£25,000 was the figure widely quoted at the time.)

Edited by Coventry Saint

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

If you're going to call people out for making sweeping/unsupported statements - and use phrases such as 'utter fallacy' - then you're going to need to back this up with actual evidence. 

(£25,000 was the figure widely quoted at the time.)

£25,000 isn't "£30k - £40k" which is what he said but fair enough. If you did indeed get £25k for a guy out of contract in 4 months then it was a decent piece of business. It's not really relevant to the point though which is that the cost in player terms wouldn't even have been especially close to cost neutral. Of course clearly St Mirren could well afford it due to the player sales, and it was great business they did. I don't think anybody would criticise that. The head in the sand look what we managed at zero cost approach from some is going to get addressed though.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

'Maybe a little compensation'

'the wages of Loy and Davis may have been more than the players they replaced'

The above does not state no cost, does it?

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Ah, but he defines "hee-haw" differently to everyone else in Scotland.

I bought a reasonably rare Northern Soul single recently for 'hee-haw' - it wasn't free but was about 10% of what I could reasonably sell it for. I would describe that as getting it for hee-haw. Wouldn't you?

The point is we did not spend shitloads of money in January but got great value for the amount we did spend. Why are you guys so uptight about this simple fact?

So in summary, St Mirren probably did spend more money in January than most other clubs (and certainly more than the clubs around them; Ayr, Raith, ourselves) but they also made a decent amount from selling the Kyle McAllister to Derby, and likewise will make a decent amount this summer with Mallan away, Morgan potentially away, and sell on clauses being in McLean and McGinn's contract.

Everyone agree?

Just now, NorthBank said:

The above does not state no cost, does it?

I bought a reasonably rare Northern Soul single recently for 'hee-haw' - it wasn't free but was about 10% of what I could reasonably sell it for. I would describe that as getting it for hee-haw. Wouldn't you?

The point is we did not spend shitloads of money in January but got great value for the amount we did spend. Why are you guys so uptight about this simple fact?

You're doing more wriggling than a worm on a hook here, give it up. You can dress it up how you like but you clearly implied there was no significant cost to the player movement you did in your "10 in/10 out" speech. Whether you spent "shitloads" depends on how you define that and given you seem somewhat out of step with the rest of the country on the definition of "hee haw" I wouldn't want to hazard a guess on it!

I would suggest you put your weekly wage bill up between start and end of January by at least four figures per week, probably comfortably so in fact. Given the player sales though you could afford it. Just don't pretend it was like a free of charge revolving door.

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

So in summary, St Mirren probably did spend more money in January than most other clubs (and certainly more than the clubs around them; Ayr, Raith, ourselves) but they also made a decent amount from selling the Kyle McAllister to Derby, and likewise will make a decent amount this summer with Mallan away, Morgan potentially away, and sell on clauses being in McLean and McGinn's contract.

Everyone agree?

Yes.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I would suggest you put your weekly wage bill up between start and end of January by at least four figures per week, probably comfortably so in fact. Given the player sales though you could afford it. Just don't pretend it was like a free of charge revolving door.

So you're saying, because we could afford it, because of the player sales, that there was some sort of cost neutrality going on there?

15 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Naw, but I'm done here.

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You're doing more wriggling than a worm on a hook here, give it up. You can dress it up how you like but you clearly implied there was no significant cost to the player movement you did in your "10 in/10 out" speech. Whether you spent "shitloads" depends on how you define that and given you seem somewhat out of step with the rest of the country on the definition of "hee haw" I wouldn't want to hazard a guess on it!

You 'suggest' a lot. Scott Gallagher was still with us when O'Brien was signed for example. Gallagher was told that he would no longer be number one. Gallagher wasn't happy. Hibs came in for him and he left. No contract paid off as you 'suggest'.

And no-one said a 'free of charge'. There was a cost but nothing like what has been commonly suggested over the last six months.

I can recall one or two unsubstantiated claims on here after our dealings in the Jan window, that we bought our way out of trouble, now that did make me chuckle. f**k all to to with buying players and more to do with with good management from JR and even better business dealings from Gordon Scott.

We got our house in order after a disastrous first 6 months and we did it without busting the bank. 

Whats not to like about that. 

Edited by glenburn bud