The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

7 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

It's a shame Stewart is on a King's ransom, as I feel he would be an great addition.

Surely the majority of players on a "kings ransom" are on those wages because they are great players and would therefore be a great addition to most squads in our league?

images (32).jpeg

7 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Greg Stewart would be a fan fucking tastic signing. No doubt we'll end up with Mark Stewart emoji23.png.

Wonder if someone from the club leaked this to appease some of the raging fans.

Which is all well and good, but if he doesn't join, they'll still be raging :lol:

31 minutes ago, Kyle said:

If it's Willock, may I suggest you join the St Johnstone Banter Facebook page? The breakdowns on there will be epic and worth seeing.

Is he generally well thought-of, then? Ie, would you have taken him back?

31 minutes ago, Kyle said:

If it's Willock, may I suggest you join the St Johnstone Banter Facebook page? The breakdowns on there will be epic and worth seeing.

I love that page. The boy who's "itk" and is telling everyone we're signing Josh Sheehan from Swansea, still, is my new favourite.

"Windows still open, it'll happen, you'll apologise to me once it's done", despite the fact Sheehan left Swansea six months ago. 

14 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Surely the majority of players on a "kings ransom" are on those wages because they are great players and would therefore be a great addition to most squads in our league?

^^ Doesn't understand the disparity between player quality and their wages, based on whether they play in the English or Scottish leagues.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Is he generally well thought-of, then? Ie, would you have taken him back?

I would take him back, but he's not really the kind of midfielder that we need just now. We've been looking for a sitting midfielder whereas Willock is at his best when he's pushing forward or playing box to box. We tried him a bit deeper and he looked completely lost in there. When given a bit more license to push forward he was much more effective for us - he was one of our best players in the post-split matches - and I reckon if he's used right he'll make a positive contribution to a team at this level.

He's very athletic, has decent feet and ball control (he looks a bit unorthodox but always seems to emerge with the ball) and would be a goal threat once settled in as well. I don't think he has much of a range of passing based on the small sample size we had from him and he really needs to work on his defensive discipline but if he's given the chance to settle I think he'd be an asset at St Mirren. 

He's certainly talked positively about his time with us and seems keen to come back up to us, so no reason why he wouldn't sign for St Mirren in those circumstances as well.

8 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

^^ Doesn't understand the disparity between player quality and their wages, based on whether they play in the English or Scottish leagues.

Stewart when he left Dundee for some pennies went to Birmingham, sat on a bench and then Aberdeen approached them for a loan and their gaffer said "Aberdeen can't afford his wages". 

What the benches are wrapped in unicorn fibres or something?

They still got him on loan and he did get game time but nothing noteworthy.

Edited by Crawford
Loan not long

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I would take him back, but he's not really the kind of midfielder that we need just now. We've been looking for a sitting midfielder whereas Willock is at his best when he's pushing forward or playing box to box. We tried him a bit deeper and he looked completely lost in there. When given a bit more license to push forward he was much more effective for us - he was one of our best players in the post-split matches - and I reckon if he's used right he'll make a positive contribution to a team at this level.

He's very athletic, has decent feet and ball control (he looks a bit unorthodox but always seems to emerge with the ball) and would be a goal threat once settled in as well. I don't think he has much of a range of passing based on the small sample size we had from him and he really needs to work on his defensive discipline but if he's given the chance to settle I think he'd be an asset at St Mirren. 

He's certainly talked positively about his time with us and seems keen to come back up to us, so no reason why he wouldn't sign for St Mirren in those circumstances as well.

Cool, thanks. Not sure he's precisely what we need anyway (in terms of priorities, midfielders are the bottom of the list) but it sounds like he'll add quality to a squad fairly short of it. Bodes well that he knows the game up here as well - we're really can't take any more players who are going to need time to come up to speed.

10 hours ago, pozbaird said:

So, Stubbs has said to Fitzy ‘how about these three’, with one of them having other clubs waiting to snap him up, and his wage demands could be a stumbling block, and another is wanted back by St Johnstone.

I’m holding off running to the shop to buy a shirt with their names on. If any of these three actually happen and they are pictured at Ralston in front of the club crest - that’s the moment I’ll believe it.

Stubbs sounds like me running out of time to sign people in FM hit the English clubs for loans

8 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Stewart when he left Dundee for some pennies went to Birmingham, sat on a bench and then Aberdeen approached them for a loan and their gaffer said "Aberdeen can't afford his wages". 

What the benches are wrapped in unicorn fibres or something?

They still got him on loan and he did get game time but nothing noteworthy.

Exactly, wages does not denote whether a player is good or not purely because of the gulf in finances over the border. We have absolute haddies playing in League 2 and the National League down South earning more than players at Dundee (or St Mirren for that matter).

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Apparently Fraser Hornby has rejected a loan move to you lot 

Apparently Preston are interested in him. 

59 minutes ago, Kyle said:

If it is as tragic as the St Mirren ones, I'll avoid it. I genuinely can't tell who is serious and who is at the wind up. 

6 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Exactly, wages does not denote whether a player is good or not purely because of the gulf in finances over the border. We have absolute haddies playing in League 2 and the National League down South earning more than players at Dundee (or St Mirren for that matter).

Stewart was always going to leave us for a better team and more money. Surely you'll agree if he's a level above us he's a level above St Mirren, ergo, he is outwith your budget. 

2 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Stewart was always going to leave us for a better team and more money. Surely you'll agree if he's a level above us he's a level above St Mirren, ergo, he is outwith your budget. 

Ah, I get it now.

I initially thought you were making an asinine point because you were a bit dim, but it actually turns out it's because you're shitting it. Understandable.

Ah, I get it now.
I initially thought you were making an asinine point because you were a bit dim, but it actually turns out it's because you're shitting it. Understandable.

in what way is he shitting it? i think its a very valid point he raised

3 minutes ago, ah-dee said:

i think its a very valid point he raised

What point would that be? That wages denote the quality of player in comparison between the leagues, because that's not shown to be the case, or the one that we can't afford Stewart, of which there is some truth although the potential chagrin delivered between the lines is all too evident.

30 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Ah, I get it now.

:lol:

Greg Stewart is not going to fucking St Mirren you tripper. 

5 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

:lol:

Greg Stewart is not going to fucking St Mirren you tripper. 

He may or may not be, but it's still interesting it's got you so worried you're all over this thread.

I'll certainly bookmark this comment though for a hefty point and laugh session should it happen. ;)

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Quite. Our most reliable poster on this sort of thing has already poured cold water on it, so we can probably all move on.

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting he was, more that he'd be lovely but expensive. The only thing this little interchange has done is shown up the concern of certain posters from the East Coast. That is definitely interesting indeed, especially as they've been given their team dog's abuse. Seems like they are not set up at all well for the first game and it's showing.. :D

23 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

He may or may not be, but it's still interesting it's got you so worried you're all over this thread.

I'll certainly bookmark this comment though for a hefty point and laugh session should it happen. ;)

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting he was, more that he'd be lovely but expensive. The only thing this little interchange has done is shown up the concern of certain posters from the East Coast. That is definitely interesting indeed, especially as they've been given their team dog's abuse. Seems like they are not set up at all well for the first game and it's showing.. :D

I was merely pointing out that you saying that a player that you can't afford would be a great addition to your squad was a ridiculous thing to say. I would have called out any poster of any team saying it. 

By all means, you keep fantasising about players outwith your budget, which going by the last sentence in your response you still seem to be doing. 

Free up some memory on your phone and delete that bookmark.