The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

32 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

He may or may not be, but it's still interesting it's got you so worried you're all over this thread.

I'll certainly bookmark this comment though for a hefty point and laugh session should it happen. ;)

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting he was, more that he'd be lovely but expensive. The only thing this little interchange has done is shown up the concern of certain posters from the East Coast. That is definitely interesting indeed, especially as they've been given their team dog's abuse. Seems like they are not set up at all well for the first game and it's showing.. :D

REgarding the expense, with loans like this the club taking the loan rarely pay the full wage, and indeed it's often a small percentage of the full wage as a cost cutting exercise for the parent club.

3 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I was merely pointing out that you saying that a player that you can't afford would be a great addition to your squad was a ridiculous thing to say.

You tried to make a funny point, failed and are now desperately trying to clean up your mess. Keep digging though, it's clear you are pretty annoyed at being made to look a bit daft. :)

Just now, Soctty said:

REgarding the expense, with loans like this the club taking the loan rarely pay the full wage, and indeed it's often a small percentage of the full wage as a cost cutting exercise for the parent club.

I would expect every single loan not to be at full price. From some of the figures banded about when he went to Aberdeen though, it was still a hefty chunk. It all depends on where Birmingham see him. Is he one for the future, in which case a heavily subsidised loan wouldn't be an issue, or are they of the mind he's not going to cut it and they want to offload him. With the latter you'd expect them to push a hard bargain to get the most return on their investment.

I'd also suggest that if Stewart is up for loan, and that's still not certain, there would be others in front of us in the queue.

3 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I would expect every single loan not to be at full price. From some of the figures banded about when he went to Aberdeen though, it was still a hefty chunk. It all depends on where Birmingham see him. Is he one for the future, in which case a heavily subsidised loan wouldn't be an issue, or are they of the mind he's not going to cut it and they want to offload him. With the latter you'd expect them to push a hard bargain to get the most return on their investment.

I'd also suggest that if Stewart is up for loan, and that's still not certain, there would be others in front of us in the queue.

It's possible that having not been brilliant for Aberdeen, he may not command the same amount in terms of percentage of salary as he did before. And he's not one for the future - he's 27...

If they want to offload him , the financial side becomes better for the team taking him on loan if there are fewer takers. I've no idea what the situation with him is, as never considered him as a possibility, which may tell you our chances of getting him...

3 minutes ago, Soctty said:

And he's not one for the future - he's 27...

Sure, I more meant was he in their future plans rather than an aspiring youngster.

3 minutes ago, Soctty said:

...which may tell you our chances of getting him...

I don't think anyone other than The Sun has suggested we are going to get him. My only comment was that he'd be a decent addition.

I was merely pointing out that you saying that a player that you can't afford would be a great addition to your squad was a ridiculous thing to say. I would have called out any poster of any team saying it. 
By all means, you keep fantasising about players outwith your budget, which going by the last sentence in your response you still seem to be doing. 
Free up some memory on your phone and delete that bookmark. 

^^^ this was the valid point i was referring to

25 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
53 minutes ago, Dee Man said:
I was merely pointing out that you saying that a player that you can't afford would be a great addition to your squad was a ridiculous thing to say. I would have called out any poster of any team saying it. 
By all means, you keep fantasising about players outwith your budget, which going by the last sentence in your response you still seem to be doing. 
Free up some memory on your phone and delete that bookmark. 

^^^ this was the valid point i was referring to

Well I forgive you then, I didn't realise Dee Man was such ITK regarding our finances. Maybe he should be the one discussing player transfers with Stubbs than GLS. :rolleyes:

Well I forgive you then, I didn't realise Dee Man was such ITK regarding our finances. Maybe he should be the one discussing player transfers with Stubbs than GLS. :rolleyes:
youd be better having dee man running your transfers than stubbs

6 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
37 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

youd be better having dee man running your transfers than stubbs

Dee Man leading Dundee to a cup final win over Rangers was quite an achievement, I'll give you that! ;)

Seriously though, this is just so P&B. I had the temerity to suggest that Stewart would be a decent addition to our squad but would likely command some hefty wages and we've had nigh on a page of *autistic_screeching* in reply.. :lol: ..roll on the season proper.

Dee Man leading Dundee to a cup final win over Rangers was quite an achievement, I'll give you that! [emoji6]
Seriously though, this is just so P&B. I had the temerity to suggest that Stewart would be a decent addition to our squad but would likely command some hefty wages and we've had nigh on a page of *autistic_screeching* in reply.. [emoji38] ..roll on the season proper.
ypur last line sums it up. pre season is boring so we do what we can to spark debate!

Stewart would have been a good signing but would have been surprised if we could make that work. Even if we could afford him, I'd have thought other Scottish clubs would have been in for him. Not really aware of Willock but there are a few encouraging comments from Saintees on here.

Never heard of Brock-Madsen and his strike rate doesn't look too impressive. Clearly Birmingham just want shot of him. According to one article, when he was on loan in Poland last year "he found the cold and air pollution difficult to manage". Shame he might be coming just as the hot weather ends!

Stubbs making a point in his press conference to say that Mckenzie and Eckersley are both injured, he would love to be able to play them but can’t. Surely the obvious next question is, are they part of your plans or are they still free to find a new club? Would he just love to play them till he can bring in replacements?