The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

32 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I can’t see Stubbs signing Liam tbh. He’s made a pigs ear about signing strikers, so that’s probably  where his priority remains. A target man and a left winger/ midfielder.

We definitely need cover at full back though, as well as an experienced centre half. The only one we have is McKenzie, who Stubbs doesn't want and is injured all the time anyway. I reckon our young centre half's would benefit from playing alongside someone more experienced, that was definitely true of Baird last season. 

1 hour ago, Fony Titz said:

Pretty sure Alan Russell scored a double against us we then signed him from Hamilton and he never scored again.

Russell actually had a decent-ish record for us, IIRC. I think I looked it up when he was sitting on the bench for England in the summer. It surprised me as well, though.

38 minutes ago, Hendo said:

We definitely need cover at full back though, as well as an experienced centre half. The only one we have is McKenzie, who Stubbs doesn't want and is injured all the time anyway. I reckon our young centre half's would benefit from playing alongside someone more experienced, that was definitely true of Baird last season. 

We have Baird, Kpekawa, Heaton and McKenzie (if he stays) at CB so don't think it's a priority. Would be great to get Liam Smith back to have 2 solid options at RB but we need to get a striker first then worry about cover.

16 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

The statement is fine, it's just Ayr putting it out that every player has their price and that Ayr will be bargaining like a mofo because Shankland's on form. Understandable really.

That said, McCall has spent almost the last 4 weeks raving about how fit he is, and that he's more than capable of playing higher up the league and wondering why no other clubs had taken him on.

IMO, He's just another Alan Russell, will score plenty in the lower divisions but struggle when up against better defenders in the top flight......

I am going to be unpopular here, (quelle surprise!) but I don't rate Paul McGinn that highly, I think he's solid but nothing great and certainly not going to improve. Smith however looks like he'll end up a considerably better player. It's a real shame we've missed out on him, if we have of course, as I believe he would have done well for us in this league.

Would Smith come back, considering the manager's changed? Who knows. Could we afford his full wages, or match bids from other clubs? Possibly, possibly not. All this is just conjecture but if given the choice between McGinn and Smith, I'd go Smith every time.

Paul McGinn had a great game against Dumbarton including supplying the crosses for two of our goals. I like Smith as an attacking full back however his crossing can invariably be overhit and defensively he is suspect. Both players would be great to have in the squad but I am happy with Paul if we only have one recognised right back.

45 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I am going to be unpopular here, (quelle surprise!) but I don't rate Paul McGinn that highly, I think he's solid but nothing great and certainly not going to improve. Smith however looks like he'll end up a considerably better player. It's a real shame we've missed out on him, if we have of course, as I believe he would have done well for us in this league.

Would Smith come back, considering the manager's changed? Who knows. Could we afford his full wages, or match bids from other clubs? Possibly, possibly not. All this is just conjecture but if given the choice between McGinn and Smith, I'd go Smith every time.

Controversial... :lol:

I don't think anybody rates him that highly. Good, solid full back who can do a job.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Russell actually had a decent-ish record for us, IIRC. I think I looked it up when he was sitting on the bench for England in the summer. It surprised me as well, though.

Just under 1 in 5 in the league. Not great...

12 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Controversial... :lol:

I don't think anybody rates him that highly. Good, solid full back who can do a job.

I said as much previously and was roundly derided for having the temerity of holding such an opinion. I wish this place would make up it's mind.. :(

Jesus, we fucking need it! Although it'll be a double edged sword.

While Stubbs has made a bit of a pig's ear of recruitment, and the money will be bloody useful, the concern will be that clubs now know we have cash to spare and the prices will go up.

McCall for example will be having little pound signs floating around him just now.

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Will you guys be looking to replace him? Assume the loss of both him and McGeough would be tough to absorb.

Any more of your current or ex players going about?

This may also be of interest to you...

11 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

Any more of your current or ex players going about?

This may also be of interest to you...

:lol: You can keep your mitts right off Stephen McGinn. I'm not sure anyone else would fit the bill, in all honesty. We've got Kyle Magennis, too, but he's on a three year deal so you'd have to seriously cough up for him.

In terms of ex-players, there's Kyle McAllister at Derby - very highly rated, but has had injury issues since he went down there 18 months ago. Can't see him getting a look-in with the players Lampard is bringing in now, so I reckon he'll be on his way back up here sooner rather than later.

This is him:

Edited by Coventry Saint

55 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I said as much previously and was roundly derided for having the temerity of holding such an opinion. I wish this place would make up it's mind.. :(

This place is a myriad of differing opinions. Seems your problem is not being able to cope with them all...