The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

29 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

The fee is low. I thought it'd at least be the right side of 500k. I'm also sceptical of the add-ons thing, coming as it does on the day that our dreams of a final big cut of any any McGinn fee were ultimately killed off.

Was McGinn not entering the last year of his current contract?

I always thought the biggest danger to us getting another chunk of cash was him leaving for free at the end of his contract.  

So although no bonus this window, I think this is a positive for us.  

4 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Was McGinn not entering the last year of his current contract?

I always thought the biggest danger to us getting another chunk of cash was him leaving for free at the end of his contract.  

So although no bonus this window, I think this is a positive for us.  

Indeed.

At the time there weren't many teams willing to shell out money for him.

We've made £2million plus out of him which is brilliant business by any standard IMO.

10 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

mcginn signing a 4 year deal with villa doesn’t mean he will be at villa for 4 years

Given he’s only 28 with a good track record of appearances for club and country the next 12 months could be pivotal - especially if he stars for Scotland and we win the European championships like Denmark and Greece did previously! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

31 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Boyd munce is his replacement i expect

Perhaps but we need more than one option. Is that Kiltie? I expect another to fight for a starting Jersey. Maybe Sule, maybe someone else.

Edited by medals

23 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Given he’s only 28 with a good track record of appearances for club and country the next 12 months could be pivotal - especially if he stars for Scotland and we win the European championships like Denmark and Greece did previously! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

Jack Grealish signed a new deal at Villa then left shortly afterwards 

O'Hara is a different scenario completely.

He's got 3 years of his deal to run. Unless there is a release clause, trigger, or gentleman's agreement in there then we should absolutely be accepting no less than a million for him.

Strain is the big concern now. I'll be amazed if there aren't offers in for him already.

3 minutes ago, Div said:

O'Hara is a different scenario completely.

He's got 3 years of his deal to run. Unless there is a release clause, trigger, or gentleman's agreement in there then we should absolutely be accepting no less than a million for him.

Strain is the big concern now. I'll be amazed if there aren't offers in for him already.

Other than from Scottish clubs, who else has had Strain on their radar?

With the Baccus money, surely we can up his wages and sign him up for another 12 or 24 months beyond this season.

I don't want to panic, but also I want some movement. I know we have a decent core signed up, but I know there were complaints on the size of squad last season too. I get with the ones who have left we will be looking for quality to take their place, but would we not have squad players signed up early doors to help him with the issues we had at the end with numbers?! I'm being picky now I just want some excitement 

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Indeed.

At the time there weren't many teams willing to shell out money for him.

We've made £2million plus out of him which is brilliant business by any standard IMO.

Says who ? I’d suggest we’ve made much less 

Screenshot2023-06-23211342.png.5a954b7924b5a74542a05274b8631719.png

Take yer pick from the RG Tombola of Baccus-lites.

If any of these names get linked, and half are already signed up elsewhere/out of reach financially I think, I'm claiming victory of some sort.