The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

You'll be very, very surprised then.

Considering I just read a post from Div that suggests we might even get a fee for him, I am already at the "very, very surprised" level. I'm not sure about this timeline, but one where we get money for a permacrock that a previous manager went financially balls deep on is a timeline I'm liking!

This might even counter balance and low bid we accept for Baccus!

3 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It also doesn't exactly scream "the future!"

With Grieve (24) , Ayunga  (26) and the Israeli lad, who I forget the name of - and assuming it happens, being 21, I wouldn't worry too much about the strike force being decrepit.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

We're likely going to lose our biggest earner today and if rumours are true, will make a wee bit of money as Brophy is not the only one Dingwall bound.

I suspect any money changing hands will be related to that other player rather than Brophy.  

Just now, Ric said:

With Grieve (24) , Ayunga  (26) and the Israeli lad, who I forget the name of - and assuming it happens, being 21, I wouldn't worry too much about the strike force being decrepit.

Point taken but: Ayunga might be unfit for a while. Also I am wondering (speculation) whether Greive might be the other player people are implying is going. I hope not because, for all he has some stuff to work on, I like his industry a lot and he pops up with very important goals on occasion,

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

I suspect any money changing hands will be related to that other player rather than Brophy.  

I'd be surprised if County took up the option to buy (which was inserted) on Brophy rather than just go 'can you give us him for nothing' to be honest as we wouldn't be hard to deal with.

We get to completely cancel last year of his deal and County get the player they want. If there is an actual fee changing hands it will be even better than rinsing St. Johnstone of money for Cammy MacPherson.

9 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Point taken but: Ayunga might be unfit for a while. Also I am wondering (speculation) whether Greive might be the other player people are implying is going. I hope not because, for all he has some stuff to work on, I like his industry a lot and he pops up with very important goals on occasion,

If it's any consolation, I'm not sold on Fletcher either, but as I said in a previous post, I didn't fancy him when he went to United but he played above the level the rest of the team were at.

Edited by Ric

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Grieve's not going anywhere.

If we sign Fletcher, then whoever plays alongside him is going to have to be brilliant at closing down opposition defenders.

Does Nahmani fit the bill in that respect or will a fit, rejuvenated Ayunga suffice? Or even Greive.

We sort of played that way when Watt was with us, as he wasn't exactly dynamic with respect to closing down players and Main did the donkey work.

If we get Fletcher on a one year deal and if he stays fit and his legs haven't gone, then given his aerial prowess and eye for goal, he'd be a welcome addition.

However, the staying fit and the him not being "done" are the major risks, on what will be a significant wage no doubt.

Brophy will sign for County and score a few goals in his first five or six games (probably against us), prompting the utter morons who despise Robinson to have another meltdown.

Then, in a series of events no one could possibly have seen coming, Brophy will get injured for a couple of months, our strikers will be scoring and said morons will quietly disappear.

Edited by Stu

16 minutes ago, FTOF said:

However, the staying fit and the him not being "done" are the major risks, on what will be a significant wage no doubt.

Mulgrew is the perfect example. Ok, older, but experienced, he might be at the end of his career but he's been solid and not looked out of place, I'm sure he'll easily do another year. Then you saw the year he had, I'm not comparing Mulgrew with Fletcher, but Mulgrew's dramatic fall is testament to just how quickly things can go South when you are at that age.

Edited by Ric

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Brophy will sign for County and score a few goals in his first five or six games (probably against us), prompting the utter morons who despise Robinson to have another meltdown.

Then, in a series of events no one could possibly have seen coming, Brophy will get injured for a couple of months, our strikers will be scoring and said morons will quietly disappear.

Who could you possibly be talking about?:lol:

Glad to see we’re finally linked with this type of transfer speculation…

Fletcher signs for Motherwell - They’re welcome to him. Will be on high wages, desperate stuff from ‘Well.

Fletcher signs for St Mirren - Shrewd move from Robbo. He’ll get the best out of him even for one season.

At last. The new strip, and some speculation. The close season was shite until now. 😀