The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

21 hours ago, McG said:

Killie have made some proper signings, they will have a decent season. 

The likes of Grieve and Mandron etc wouldn’t get a sniff at another team in the premier league, big Olusanya put Grieve to shame.

have to disagree slightly, Grieve was trying with NO HELP from Mamdron, Kiltie gets a pass from me Grieve , not quiteand Olusanya only looked good because Mandron was clearly awful.

20 hours ago, Torfason said:

I liked big Joe and wouldn’t have minded keeping him but if we struggle in the league, he will become Maldini instead of the decent but relatively slow centre half he actually is.

We were gash today, no question but releasing him is not even in the top 10 reasons why we lost today.

We lacked any sort of creativity and Grieve for all his efforts is not going to score enough at this level, Madron probably won’t either but at least he has the excuse of being new.
As a team we are not set up to have a lot of possession so I’m expecting to see a different shape and performance at ER next month.

Bad day at the office but we didn’t become a bad team over the summer, onwards and upwards.

a lot of sense here, I think perhaps wages were an issue with Joe, I heard he was on decent money.............could be wrong, but it's what I heard., I like Grieve but he needs someone like Obika or Maine to play off/with, Madeon looked lost and Olysanya only looked better because at least he was injecting some pace, I have my doubts about both of them, let's hope the Israeli and the as yet unidentified new forward offer better options.

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Thought it was just one striker due in where did you hear it's two ? How many dud strikers do we need.          We need a left back sweeper pronto 

I meant Nahmani and the new striker

19 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

It patently obviously won’t be.

Your manager clearly stated the new forward has lots of pace.

the worrying thing is......................................................... so does Olysanya

19 hours ago, Munoz said:

Early days i know, but the last 2 performances have been poor. Plenty of the ball in both but no idea what to with it. 

Just got to hope the next few signings are going to make the difference, and that Baccus is back soon.

thinking about it, the aspect that concerns me most is how we kept pointing long cross-field balls ................way above and or beyond those who were intended to receive them........................again and again and again and................................

15 hours ago, Div said:

Forget the opposition. He was MILES more effective than Greive. 

only because Mandron did sod all to help Grieve, as I said already Kiltie for me is the only one of our players to get a pass mark, but Grieve comes close, Olysanyo will never be a regular in this team

3 minutes ago, jaybeee said:

only because Mandron did sod all to help Grieve, as I said already Kiltie for me is the only one of our players to get a pass mark, but Grieve comes close, Olysanyo will never be a regular in this team

Agree Kiltie was our best player everyone else did not play their normal game . 

I thought Kiltie and Gogic were decent. Strain, O’Hara and Fraser were ok, certainly not lacking in effort. Greive tries hard but, yet again, achieved very little. I think he is running out of chances when he can’t find the net against Dumbarton and Montrose. Going against the general view, I thought Mandron did reasonably well for his first game in a poorly set-up team. He was winning headers and linking play. Gallagher and Dunne were way off it. Neither is a leader or organiser and those aspects need sorted or we will be in trouble this season. Stupid decision to play Conor as a left wing-back and not even swap him to the right when it clearly wasn’t working. Can’t fault the keeper for the goal and he looked competent at crosses. Our deliveries either went straight to their tallest defender, Aidan Quinn, or the hands of the relatively small keeper. Must do better and that includes the management team. As Div said, good day out ‘almost’ ruined by the fitba. Liked the dog statue in the harbour!

ps: Collum was as bad as ever, O’Hara’s goal should have stood and he should have stopped play for their goal as Gardyne had Greive by the throat. Other than that, well done to the Mo!

Edited by Kempes

8 hours ago, Molotov said:

I can take getting beat by lower league opposition once in a while. We all have our “Darvel Days”. That’s not a dig - it happens in football - it’s what makes the cup tournaments unique. I seem to remember as reigning holders of the Scottish Cup we were beaten first time back at home by Clydebank 3-0 in 1998.

A1C93730-8AAC-4039-8EFC-6ADCE8A8CDE0.thumb.jpeg.44ed0e4c19392b14b872956e3d792443.jpeg

I remember that game well, looking back the Bankies had a good team but still a terrible result.

As an aside, after we signed Mike Conroy from them he was terrible until he left us and became a goal machine again, the St Mirren striker curse was alive and well even in 88.

1 hour ago, Kempes said:

ps: Collum was as bad as ever, O’Hara’s goal should have stood and he should have stopped play for their goal as Gardyne had Greive by the throat. Other than that, well done to the Mo!

Was absolutely disgusted with Gardyne , the assault looked pre meditated , and I'm convinced Gardyne delibeeay hit him on the head  at the next corner . 

On 15/07/2023 at 16:57, McG said:

Killie have made some proper signings, they will have a decent season. 

Maybe so but we're still a long way off where he'd like to be start of league season. We still need players, priorities being a right sided defender, a striker & midfielder (managers words).

It's easy to get carried away based on the back of a league cup game against lower league teams.

All I can say is get throu the group stages, seeded next round and a great chance to reach the QF's gives a manager a fair chunk more cash to spend when signings need to be made come January .

In our case McInnes has already said he doesn't have the budget to fix everything he'd like in one window.

St Mirren will still be a fair bit in front and pretty decent this season.

Edited by C4mmy31

2 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Just noticed I pocket recorded the audio of the team being booed off while trying to applaud the fans. I'd been hoping to record the last minute free kick equaliser.

😬

I have to say that the only thing that is keeping my pessimism at bay is the fact we were poor this time last season. But, as others have pointed out, we had brought in some players who looked promising and should have beaten Arbroath and Motherwell. I haven't seen us yet, but what I've heard isn't cause for optimism.  

Let's hope for a convincing win on Saturday. 

Edited by Black_and_White_Stripes

2 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

St Mirren will still be a fair bit in front and pretty decent this season.

Really does depend on what defensive strengthening we come across with.

We desperately need a LWB and as time goes on, a CB. Gallagher was superb last season for us but in both appearances for far this season, he has lost a yard of his already barely existent pace.

Dunne as well has reinforced the reasons I wasn't too unhappy to see him go and wasn't too happy to see him sign up again. I still feel Taylor should be first choice ahead of him.

We look on paper to have decent forwards but playing a forward at LWB was just a mental decision. McMenamin was made to look hopeless by being absolutely stifled out there.

Do we need another forward? Debatable to say the least. Definitely not ahead of defensive reinforcements. Mandron already looks like one of the most bizarre signings of the summer though, especially if it looks like we are signing someone else for his role with all the attributes but actually better. He's no Curtis Main, that's for certain. 

Edited by djchapsticks