The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

57 minutes ago, Mac28 said:

weeb.thumb.png.9fafe1dd9a5c123e50789d90b10651f1.png

double touch

Watching MotD 2 and they've just said after 3 Games, Man City are the only club in the top flight with a 100% record.

If it hadn't been for Euan Anderson, Saints would have been the only top flight club in Scotland with a 100% record.

So frustrating, we should be revelling in that position (no matter how early in the season) and reflecting on an overall dominating performance.

Instead, a painful 'what could have been' feeling.

Cannot believe we didn’t come away with 3 points from that. In seasons gone by I’d be absolutely seething but just can’t help being delighted about how consistently good we are looking. 

As long as days like this are few and far between and we become slightly more clinical we are going to be serious contenders for top 6 again this season. Not even going to pick out a player today as absolutely everyone is contributing and can see each persons role and instructions within the team.

I’m in no doubt we’ve caught Aberdeen on a good weekend due to their European game, but I’ve seen Aberdeen against Celtic and a couple of games in Europe this season, we have outplayed a very good side today who I have no doubts will finish 3rd this season.

I’m 37 and can’t remember seeing us as strong as this! 

I could be wrong, but I don't think Robbo is "sexy" enough for Hibs. They'll want a guy with a cool name who talks about philosophies. I'm also not sure the tools are there right now for Robbo to turn it around quickly, he'd need to get to January and spend big.

10 minutes ago, GAD said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think Robbo is "sexy" enough for Hibs. They'll want a guy with a cool name who talks about philosophies. I'm also not sure the tools are there right now for Robbo to turn it around quickly, he'd need to get to January and spend big.

Got to admit I'm a bit nervous but Robinson can see the fruits of his labour both on and off the park  so I hope you're right. 

4 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Got to admit I'm a bit nervous but Robinson can see the fruits of his labour both on and off the park  so I hope you're right. 

I read on the other thread as well that Hibs manager isn't in full control of the signings and outgoings, etc in players. Don't know if that's true or not, but I can't see a guy like Robbo agreeing to work under that either.

I suppose at the the end of the day he might if they agree to pay him enough!

Robinson could easily be tempted by the £££££ that Hibs would be able to offer him, but Hibs are a complete shitshow at the moment and, with the transfer window about to shut until January, he'd have little opportunity to change things.

He must be loving it at SMFC right now, both on and off the park. Let's hope that's enough to tempt him to stay if Hibs do come calling.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Posting a blurred still photo to prove conclusively a double touch probably sounded good to you.

What it clearly shows is where his standing foot was in relation to the ball.  The video and the on the unnatural spin on the ball is what proves it was a double touch.

Just admit you got away with one rather than somehow trying to say you didn't.

There is a concern that Hibs might try and take Robbo but, if they did, it would show a lack of thought on their behalf imho.

To be crystal clear, I think Robbo is an excellent manager and, had we hung on yesterday, would surely have been Manager of the Month for August.

However, although we are a bit more skilful and creative going forward this season, we are still a team built on a "siege" mentality, working very hard because we are usually the underdogs against the middle of the pack (and perhaps slightly above) teams we are trying to compete with.

This isn't what Hibs or their fans expect at all. In most games, they expect to be on the front foot and playing relatively free-flowing football. Now, I could be wrong and maybe Robbo would just adapt, but he just doesn't seem a good fit for them at all in terms of how he does things.

For Robbo's part, if he does want that job, I'd wait until the next guy is sacked if I was him and hope it gave me a full transfer window to begin building the team in my own image.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Posting a blurred still photo to prove conclusively a double touch probably sounded good to you.

Please stop, you clown.

Everyone now accepts that it shouldn't have stood, except some of your fans (shockingly).

Hibees will be looking for an immediate fix , they won't get that with Robinson and the rabble he'd be left in charge of. He always says that he wants to be judged on his own signings, which he said during his sticky start in Paisley , given time he's a terrific manager !

I’m going to sound like a broken record repeating my ‘Goodwin to Aberdeen’ thoughts simply by using ‘Robinson to Hibs’ instead. I thought Goodwin was daft going to Aberdeen, and I think Robinson would be equally as daft going to Hibs. Same reason - both men were doing well at a club where, let’s be honest, the expectation levels are to not be relegated, then to try and do better than that. You won’t get sacked if you slipped to 7th and didn’t quite make it. Goodwin was on a good thing with us, we were sniffing top 6 and facing a cup quarter at Hearts. Robinson is on a good thing with us, looking very much like a top 6 club again and facing a cup quarter at Hibs. See where the Deja Vu comes from?

I understood Jack Ross taking the Sunderland gig. There was the money aspect, of course there was, but I’m sure Jack Ross saw in front of him a road that lead to Sunderland romping back to the upper reaches of the Championship, then who knows? He might have been touted for all sorts of EPL gigs. Everton?

Just what the fcuk the expectation is at Hibs these days is the exact same question I asked of Aberdeen when they appointed a manager who frankly, got the gig on the back of a six game good run at St Mirren. If Robinson went to Hibs, I’d give him as long there as Goodwin managed at Aberdeen. Another piece of ‘said the same’ stuff - I genuinely believe there is very little difference in quality of squad between most top flight clubs outwith the Glasgow uglies. There are more St Mirren players who would make Hibs team than there are Hibs players who would make ours. Easily more. On yesterday’s overall showing we can compete with Aberdeen too. There are Aberdeen players I’d take in our squad, I’m sure there are players of ours they’d take. There looks little between us.

If Robinson goes to Hibs, he’ll be Jim Goodwin-ed in what will seem like no time at all. You can bookmark that.

Edited by pozbaird

i dont think they will come for robinson, im sure if lennon wants it it will be him.

I dont think Robbo would leave at the moment, he got a new contract which is very decent from what ive heard, hes built a great team and has an amazing connection with the fans and club.

5 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

He hasn't even touched the ball once in that picture, never mind twice

Hey your not stupid - so you know that on video he did touch it twice and the goal shouldn't have stood. 

Karma bro it'll come back to you

Edited by medals