The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

If one of Keanu or Strain had to go I'd much prefer it was Keanu. O'Hara slips back into Midfield from the team that played Sunday with very little if any disruption or detriment. Ryan Strain would leave a huge hole. IF one needs to go and assuming it's a decent deal then so be it.

Edited by Billy Jean King

Not sure who the real Keanu is, the one pre- World Cup, or the one post World Cup. His recent performances have certainly been closer to how he was this time last year and if that can continue then he should be aiming higher than Aberdeen. 

I’d rather have him than not have him but there are other positions that I’d be more worried about filling if others left. 

A gamble giving a relative unknown a two year deal but one that we can turn a profit on if we cash in either now or January. The skill now is knowing what the best offer is going to be. 

12 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

If we get £500k for Baccus that'd be some piece of business.

FWIW I think he'd do a job for Aberdeen. From what we saw at the weekend, he'd walk in to the centre of that midfield.

He absolutely does walk into our midfield. We are losing out on Clarkson doing what he does because he's having to do the dirty work which isn't his game. A good box to box midfielder improves our team no end. 

I'd have loved us to go for Strain and called for us to try and sign him when we sold McCrorie but after bringing in Devlin and Dadia we won't be trying to sign him now. 

1 minute ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Feel this would be a move driven by desperation by the player or his agent.  He came to Scotland from Australia as a stepping stone to English football.  A move to Aberdeen would delay that by two years and a lot can happen to a footballer’s career in two years. 

Aberdeen or English league 1 is a no brainer with guaranteed group stage European football to give him an even bigger audience platform. He is not good enough YET for a big English move.

14 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

If one of Keanu or Strain had to go I'd much prefer it was Keanu. O'Hara slips back into Midfield from the team that played Sunday with very little if any disruption or detriment. Ryan Strain would leave a huge hole. IF one needs to go and assuming it's a decent deal then so be it.

Totally agree, given the way Boyd Munce has played, if everyone is fit I'm not even sure Baccus would start.

23 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

That's the type of player we are missing though. We've got Clarkson to do all the creating etc. Just need somebody that can put themselves about a bit. We haven't replaced Ramadani and I personally think Baccus is an upgrade on Ramadani. I think we'll have to go to around the £500k-£600k mark though to get him.

Indeed so if Ramadani went for £1M then Baccus should go for more.

33 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

He absolutely does walk into our midfield. We are losing out on Clarkson doing what he does because he's having to do the dirty work which isn't his game. A good box to box midfielder improves our team no end. 

I'd have loved us to go for Strain and called for us to try and sign him when we sold McCrorie but after bringing in Devlin and Dadia we won't be trying to sign him now. 

Strain is far too good for the likes of Aberdeen ffs. We only got him because his family had links to the club.

49 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

That's the type of player we are missing though. We've got Clarkson to do all the creating etc. Just need somebody that can put themselves about a bit. We haven't replaced Ramadani and I personally think Baccus is an upgrade on Ramadani. I think we'll have to go to around the £500k-£600k mark though to get him.

23 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Indeed so if Ramadani went for £1M then Baccus should go for more.

He definitely is an upgrade on Ramadani but the issue is under a year left vs Ramadani who I believe had about 2 years?

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

He definitely is an upgrade on Ramadani but the issue is under a year left vs Ramadani who I believe had about 2 years?

Which is the common sense answer.

St Mirren won’t want to lose a good asset for nothing?  
If he had two or three years left on his contract, they’d obviously be in a different & stronger bargaining position.

Same applies to Ryan Strain unfortunately for you guys. 

1 minute ago, McG said:

Strain is far too good for the likes of Aberdeen ffs. We only got him because his family had links to the club.

Strain mentioned at the time that signing for St. Mirren was a massive deal for his mum's entire side of the family and she was absolutely made up to see him follow in his granddad's footsteps.

I don't think we'd have gotten anywhere near him if it wasn't for the Gerry Baker connection.

1 hour ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Yeah, please don't get me wrong, I think Baccus is a very good player and will do well if he goes to Aberdeen. He just doesn't have that wee extra something that clubs pay that bit more for, he's not massively creative, he won't chip in with 7-10 goals a season. But he'll do a good job anyway.

9 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

If he had two or three years left on his contract, they’d obviously be in a different & stronger bargaining position.

It isn't as simple as this.

You might not get a fee but (if the team is good and playing well) what do you get in prize money and gate receipts that you wouldn't otherwise get?

There are no guarantees obviously so the board might snap at a guaranteed £250k, rather than taking chances. But you get a lot more for being 6th than 11th and we will make a lot more by winning and getting 7k+ crowds than losing and flirting with 5k crowds.

I would rather keep good players than sell any for £200k or whatever, and take the chance that we win prize money and play well enough to get more fans through the gates regularly.

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Strain mentioned at the time that signing for St. Mirren was a massive deal for his mum's entire side of the family and she was absolutely made up to see him follow in his granddad's footsteps.

I don't think we'd have gotten anywhere near him if it wasn't for the Gerry Baker connection.

Bang on mate.

22 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Not quite.

Baccus, good a player as he is, is a lot more sellable than Strain because he's more replaceable currently. Some might argue that his replacement in Caolan Boyd-Munce, is already there in the side and we'd just have to be getting capable cover to take his place in the squad. We obviously don't want to lose assets for nothing, equally though we don't want to lose assets on the cheap to rival clubs and if you offered me to lose Baccus for say £250k now to Aberdeen because 'well at least it's something' then I wouldn't be interested in us taking that deal. There should always be an additional levy for selling a player to a divisional rival.

Strain is a completely different kettle of fish in my opinion. We don't have a replacement for him, nor will be able to source a strong replacement for him in the last 36 hours of this window. For me, Strain is not for sale at any price unless you're going into ridiculous territory. I'd much rather keep him this season and lose him for nothing with what he brings to the side, than pull down half a million quid for him with no prospect of replacing him.

Despite the losses in FY22, we're in a healthy financial position. The books the previous year will show that we manged in the end to just about break even and currently we're tentatively showing as significantly in the black for the current financial year. We're in a position that we don't HAVE to sell to keep heads above water.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It isn't as simple as this.

You might not get a fee but (if the team is good and playing well) what do you get in prize money and gate receipts that you wouldn't otherwise get?

There are no guarantees obviously so the board might snap at a guaranteed £250k, rather than taking chances. But you get a lot more for being 6th than 11th and we will make a lot more by winning and getting 7k+ crowds than losing and flirting with 5k crowds.

I would rather keep good players than sell any for £200k or whatever, and take the chance that we win prize money and play well enough to get more fans through the gates regularly.

I hear what you say & partially agree, but the fee you’d get for Baccus would be more than the difference he’d make to your league position?

Plus, you might have a replacement in mind, & you have your captain to come back soon too. 

You’ll probably make top 6 again this season, regardless of whether he stays or goes. 
With Robinson & your head of recruitments contacts, I’m sure you’d get a good loan in, at worst. 

Besides I’m not sure of the credibility of the source Pete O’Rourke.