The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

IMO Robinsons in a weird place in Scotland.

Theres kind of tiers and i think hes "stuck" in the 3rd.

Tier 1 of Celtic/Rangers one he'll never be in IMO, and they wouldnt even consider him seriously.

Tier 2 of Aberdeen/Hearts/Hibernian. Different timeline and they look at him, but Aberdeen wont go back to you after Goodwin flopped and likely look abroad after Robson. Hibs wont due to a perceived "style of play" and the fact theyre trying to break the wheel and have success from outwith the UK. Hearts the most likely, and only realistic domestic option, for Robinson IMO. But can see them also looking abroad when Naismith goes.

Tier 3 i cant see any club who tempts him from you as it stands.

Englands where your issue is and if his previous record is anything to go off then hes likely got his agent poised for any Championship/top end L1 jobs that come up.

The Northern Ireland job is my biggest concern

10 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

The Northern Ireland job is my biggest concern

Not anytime soon IMO. O'Neill will definitely get the Nations League, which is a year away, and probably the World Cup Qualifiers too.

So itll be 2/3 years before its back up.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Anyone who plays Football Manager knows where your first defeat is coming from there.

Given its 5 more games away, if you offer me that right now, I'll bite your entire arm off.

First defeat against St. Johnstone in what, game 10?! f**k yes!!!

33 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

Would i be right in saying we only had 4 Scottish players starting and finishing the game  ?

Big change from our teams of the past.

We've only signed 11 Scottish players since Jack Ross left the club which I find incredible.

That's out of 90 new faces in that time period. The vast majority of our new players have been English or Irish.

For some context, Jack Ross signed 16 Scottish players in his final season.

Edited by djchapsticks

Struggling to think of the last time we signed a player from the lower leagues in Scotland?

Tiffoney, Turner and Deas have all made the step up from the Championship this season but not much to get excited about there.

Seems like the financial disparity between the 2 leagues is leading to a widening gap in quality.

58 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Struggling to think of the last time we signed a player from the lower leagues in Scotland?

Tiffoney, Turner and Deas have all made the step up from the Championship this season but not much to get excited about there.

Seems like the financial disparity between the 2 leagues is leading to a widening gap in quality.

We saw that for ourselves with our own perceptions of what a decent Championship player was and their collective struggles to make an impact in the top flight. Cammy Smith is the poster boy but there were loads of examples. 

It’s been great going to games this season involving Saints. 

I watched both of the EPL Sky games today involving supposedly top class players and frankly the entertainment was fcuking dire. 

Saints are having a great season and being realistic the city teams should be doing a number on us home and away but so far we are competing well against teams with larger resources. 

There is a great squad mentality. Even the substitutes are involved in all the celebrations and Robbo and his staff have created a terrific environment for them all. 

COYS. 

PS - I fcuking love Gogic ❤️ 

Can anyone interpret his post match celebration dialogue? 

After just 5 games we're:-

4 pts ahead of Hearts

7 pts ahead of Hibs

And 9 (NINE) ahead of Aberdeen 

IF, we could beat Hearts we'd be 7 ahead of them and at least that many ahead of Hibs - that's how good results have been (and we truly deserved to beat Aberdeen and undeservedly dropped 2 pts).

Well just behind us and we've beaten them twice already.

Long way to go, but this form and quality is a real joy to behold.

On our last trip to Fir Park, a couple of Trevor Carson howlers cost us a defeat

Fast forward to this season and some great goalkeeping from Zach Hemming helped to win all 3 points. There ain’t no way Carson would have made those saves that Hemming made, he’s too small for a start!

I was probably in the minority but I never rated Carson, he was just average. When he left and Hemming arrived I was quietly confident this would be an upgrade. And so it’s proving.

Hemming > Carson

18 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

On our last trip to Fir Park, a couple of Trevor Carson howlers cost us a defeat

Fast forward to this season and some great goalkeeping from Zach Hemming helped to win all 3 points. There ain’t no way Carson would have made those saves that Hemming made, he’s too small for a start!

I was probably in the minority but I never rated Carson, he was just average. When he left and Hemming arrived I was quietly confident this would be an upgrade. And so it’s proving.

Hemming > Carson

See Hemming made the team of the week this week too.

He's been a lot better than many expected. 

Alnwick on a new contract too. (Not for us of course)

18 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Hemming > Carson

He only had 1 save to make the rest were routine catches you would expect any goalkeeper to make.

20 minutes ago, elvis said:

He only had 1 save to make the rest were routine catches you would expect any goalkeeper to make.

Well how did he get selected for keeper of the week?

He touched one onto the bar and saved well from a free kick, but he looked in control the entire match.

1 hour ago, medals said:

Well how did he get selected for keeper of the week?

He touched one onto the bar and saved well from a free kick, but he looked in control the entire match.

You also have to bear in mind his family suffered a bereavement just before the match, making his performance even more impressive.

Edited by Hendo

This isn't meant to be a controversial point but how do people feel about Danny Lennon being part of the first SMISA legends night?

As a cup winning manager, no issue, but since then he made David Goodwillie his captain at Clyde - has this tarnished his legacy? I know it makes me uncomfortable which is why i'm not going tonight.