The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

3 hours ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

When I read the news about Frank McDougall, it occurred to me that he would be in my top 5 players I ever seen in the stripes. 
That got me thinking, who would the other 4 be, I’ve been watching since the early seventies and the first names that came to me were McGarvey and McAvennie.

Hang on, I thought, 3 of my top 5 are Frankie Macs and all of them strikers.

There it is, bizarre but true.

My other 2 would be Peter Weir and Iain Ferguson. 

I watching the 1984 Scottish Cup semi final earlier. McDougall and McAvennie looking the real deal as a partnership.

Archie Macpherson even got their names right when he highlighted them.

Not clear and obvious on handball unfortunately. Also reckon it sort of evens out as we should have conceded a penalty a few mind prior I felt.

Still maintain that in that situation, keepers should be warts and all when they come out. Punch the ball, clatter the attacker, as long as the momentum is with a goalie and as long as you're not wiping the attacker out with a leading leg you're getting a foul 9 times out of 10 on that situation.

Wee bit of a learning exercise in maybe being a bit more cynical in future.

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not clear and obvious on handball unfortunately. Also reckon it sort of evens out as we should have conceded a penalty a few mind prior I felt.

Still maintain that in that situation, keepers should be warts and all when they come out. Punch the ball, clatter the attacker, as long as the momentum is with a goalie and as long as you're not wiping the attacker out with a leading leg you're getting a foul 9 times out of 10 on that situation.

Indeed.

It happened, so we move on. We didn't deserve anything else from the game.

Although if if highlights another failure of VAR officials, then that's a bonus.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Looked like a foul in real time to me

Was surprised nothing given 2bh but not surprised with these incompetent refs. Said it from the start-var won't make a difference as its still the same incompetent referees running it

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Indeed.

It happened, so we move on. We didn't deserve anything else from the game.

Although if if highlights another failure of VAR officials, then that's a bonus.

Agree with that. You can't change the result more importantly it again shows up the incompetence of those who take charge of   games . We all suffer on another day Killie would have got a penalty with Strain's hand ball.  Hell knows what the answer full time refs ? 

19 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Agree with that. You can't change the result more importantly it again shows up the incompetence of those who take charge of   games . We all suffer on another day Killie would have got a penalty with Strain's hand ball.  Hell knows what the answer full time refs

Did you watch the Spurs v Liverpool game on Saturday?

32 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Hell knows what the answer full time refs ? 

Scottish referees in the top flight choose to have another job, even if you only do 1 game a week you'll be on £35k, much more likely they are earning £50k UEFA ones probably even more than that.

I don't think the SFA has enough referees or a good enough recruitment process to bring in good ones and hold back utter duds.

12 hours ago, AW saint said:

Looking at the number of mistakes against us this season wtf is the point of VAR

I agree. Var was supposed to correct clear errors, and though it has done that sometimes,  it also misses, or fails to correct others. It's the human factor that is the problem.

We need better unbiased folk on Var for sure.

In a past season had we been at the other end of the table with so many errors against us it would be awful and add to the peril. Thankfully we are up top and so far it's only cost us about 4 points.

2 minutes ago, medals said:

I agree. Var was supposed to correct clear errors, and though it has done that sometimes,  it also misses, or fails to correct others. It's the human factor that is the problem.

We need better unbiased folk on Var for sure.

In a past season had we been at the other end of the table with so many errors against us it would be awful and add to the peril. Thankfully we are up top and so far it's only cost us about 4 points.

The human factor will, of course, mean that there are still some errors. But I think part of the issue is that there aren't enough cameras.

I just posted similar in the Kilmarnock match thread but off the top of my head;

Greive 'goal' against Dundee

Mandron 'goal' against Hearts

Lyons handball on Saturday 

Strain handball on Saturday 

Miovski double touch penalty 

All of these decisions stuck with the on field call not because the decision was definitely correct but because the pictures couldn't conclusively show the decision was wrong. And this is before we get to the ludicrous offside calls like Greive's against Hearts.

We're paying a lot of money for a system that makes watching the game worse for spectators and at best marginally increases the number of correct decisions.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

The human factor will, of course, mean that there are still some errors. But I think part of the issue is that there aren't enough cameras.

I just posted similar in the Kilmarnock match thread but off the top of my head;

All of these decisions stuck with the on field call not because the decision was definitely correct but because the pictures couldn't conclusively show the decision was wrong. And this is before we get to the ludicrous offside calls like Greive's against Hearts.

We're paying a lot of money for a system that makes watching the game worse for spectators and at best marginally increases the number of correct decisions.

Walsh's call at Ibrox vs Livy a few days after the Mandron one v Hearts is even more of a mind boggler. The forward CLEARLY fouls the defender, tumbling him over. Play on, goal. Never seen full highlights, though apparently checked on VAR and stood as a goal. Martindale has already came out and said the struggles of finances at his club and they are paying 6 figures for the VAR system, then something like this happens. He should have pulled his players off the park.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

What are all the white type thigs sticking in the ground all along the pitch . Certainly at the main stand side where I sit. They appeared when Var was introduced. I was under the impression they were part of the VAR camara set up. Anyone know if they are part of var ? If so every angle is covered. 

56 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Walsh's call at Ibrox vs Livy a few days after the Mandron one v Hearts is even more of a mind boggler. The forward CLEARLY fouls the defender, tumbling him over. Play on, goal. Never seen full highlights, though apparently checked on VAR and stood as a goal. Martindale has already came out and said the struggles of finances at his club and they are paying 6 figures for the VAR system, then something like this happens. He should have pulled his players off the park.

I think taking the players off the park is a bit extreme. I would like to see clubs and supporters speak out more about VAR though. I don't think it's been a positive introduction and I think the majority of fans would agree with that. It's not going away but it could definitely be used better.

7 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

What are all the white type thigs sticking in the ground all along the pitch . Certainly at the main stand side where I sit. They appeared when Var was introduced. I was under the impression they were part of the VAR camara set up. Anyone know if they are part of var ? If so every angle is covered. 

I'm not sure, are they maybe just the monitors? 6 cameras is the minimum required, which I'm sure is what we have at the SMISA Stadium. Compare that to the English Premier League, which has 5 or 6 times the amount of cameras at games.