The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Wee bit early for January window talks, but if we can stay 3rd we will be very attractive to potential recruits.

Given we'll likely lose about 7 in the summer, we will no doubt be looking at their successors and/or working hard to extend contracts. (Potential prospect of playing in Europe next season too)

There are not many in the squad that need to be let go either, but we cannot stand still.

Points this week C O Y S

Edited by medals

39 minutes ago, medals said:

Wee bit early for January window talks, but if we can stay 3rd we will be very attractive to potential recruits.

Given we'll likely lose about 7 in the summer, we will no doubt be looking at their successors and/or working hard to extend contracts. (Potential prospect of playing in Europe next season too)

There are not many in the squad that need to be let go either, but we cannot stand still.

Points this week C O Y S

Lets do all we can just now to extend the likes of Gogic beyond this season, Taylor an extra year or two and guys like Olunsanya. I honestly don't think we need to recruit much more unless we lose anyone to a transfer.

We are building something good here and the players we have a realistic chance of keeping, it would be good to get them tied down and invest in the current crop of players who are key to our success. 

16 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

We are building something good here and the players we have a realistic chance of keeping, it would be good to get them tied down and invest in the current crop of players who are key to our success. 

That building is like painting the forth road bridge of old - it never stops.

Totally agree Goga will no doubt be offered an extension.

What of :-

Dunne Hemming Strain Baccus Small Namani Bolton

(loan ending players underlinned)

What is the liklihood of buying Nahami or getting Hemming for another season? Will the Ausies surprise us?

Jaimieson Sutherland Gilmartin Offord Gaffney  

F. Taylor  Kenny

Is Flynn getting another or different contract (coaching)?

Also if we finish higher than budgeted for, and extra revenue from crowds etc. 

Plus potentially needing a stronger squad for Europe.

It must be fun and difficult being in the management team planning. So many unknowns and risks.

Have to add to the thoughts about the floodlights/digital boards, i actually though it was getting way too dark by the end of the game and found it a bit easier to see when the all white boards were showing up - we needed full floodlights, i guess with the clocks going back they will be on for the full game the next time we play at home.

1 hour ago, MarreZ said:

Have to add to the thoughts about the floodlights/digital boards, i actually though it was getting way too dark by the end of the game and found it a bit easier to see when the all white boards were showing up - we needed full floodlights, i guess with the clocks going back they will be on for the full game the next time we play at home.

They definitely will be because the next time we play at home is next Wednesday night. 😄

4 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

Lets do all we can just now to extend the likes of Gogic beyond this season, Taylor an extra year or two and guys like Olunsanya. I honestly don't think we need to recruit much more unless we lose anyone to a transfer.

Don't think many of us thought we'd be saying 'extend Olusanya's contract'.

But great work from the management and the man himself to turn things around!

20 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Don't think many of us thought we'd be saying 'extend Olusanya's contract'.

But great work from the management and the man himself to turn things around!

He's still a work in progress for me, but he is progressing.

If he was as clinical as Mandron at the weekend,  he'd be some player.

1 minute ago, medals said:

He's still a work in progress for me, but he is progressing.

If he was as clinical as Mandron at the weekend,  he'd be some player.

Totally agree. His finishing is poor but the rest is coming together.  His pace and touch are impressive. His hold up play and ability to win the ball when he backs into centre halves is excellent. He can work on his finishing but there is a player in there. 

Glad Robbo didnt show him the door. It just shows how good our coaching is. 

Just popped in to take pelters for my laughing at you guys signing Mikael Mandron. He seems to be doing alright and even back then I'd have taken him afore permacrock John Obika.

Our forwards are just returning so hopefully I won't see Mandron flapping about the pitch and think "He'd be better than Ollie Shaw" any longer.

But aye. Only fair I kinda offered half arsed apologetic sentiments to the big man.

21 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I know there was a lot of rival fans scoffing when we built an 8,000 seater stadium, but teams like Kilmarnock, St. Johnstone, Livingston etc. must be looking on in envy at the atmosphere created at Greenhill Road every home game these days. 

I thought this when watching Sportscene last night: the game at Rugby Park followed by the game at the SMISA.

There were only a few hundred more at our game but you could see banks of empty blue seats in Kilmarnock and the Aberdeen fans weren't even in shot. Away end aside, our ground looked pretty full with fans close to the action. No contest in terms of a football stadium experience.

(And that's without mentioning the visuals of the plastic pitch....)

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Just popped in to take pelters for my laughing at you guys signing Mikael Mandron. He seems to be doing alright and even back then I'd have taken him afore permacrock John Obika.

Our forwards are just returning so hopefully I won't see Mandron flapping about the pitch and think "He'd be better than Ollie Shaw" any longer.

But aye. Only fair I kinda offered half arsed apologetic sentiments to the big man.

He's definitely not the player described by Motherwell supporters when we signed him. He's a bit unorthodox aye, but nothing like the two left feet uncoordinated oaf we were promised.

He wins just about everything in the air and even at this early stage in his Saints career, has 6 goals in 10 starts which is a quite excellent return.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

He's definitely not the player described by Motherwell supporters when we signed him. He's a bit unorthodox aye, but nothing like the two left feet uncoordinated oaf we were promised.

He wins just about everything in the air and even at this early stage in his Saints career, has 6 goals in 10 starts which is a quite excellent return.

He has been excellent. His set up play for Greive's goal v Aberdeen was sensational. Been very pleasantly surprised by him.

16 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Big Jon will come good.  Get him fit and he's tremendous.  We had similar issues with Main. Then a fully fit Main silenced all his doubters.  (although I'm not sure we would swap him for Mandron now) 

14 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Big Jon will come good.  Get him fit and he's tremendous.  We had similar issues with Main. Then a fully fit Main silenced all his doubters.  (although I'm not sure we would swap him for Mandron now) 

Hmmmm. I think “tremendous” might be overegging the pudding 🤣🤣

Regularly effective is about the best I’d give him and I DEFINITELY would not swap Mandron for him. 

I loved Obika and was sorry to see him leave but he'd way down the pecking order now with us, even if he was fit. 

He's had a few injury problems in his career and is now the wrong side of 30, so if I was a Motherwell fan I wouldn't be pinning many hopes on him.

It's a shame for the guy as he did really well for us, and I'm sure could still do a job at this level.

44 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Hmmmm. I think “tremendous” might be overegging the pudding 🤣🤣

Regularly effective is about the best I’d give him and I DEFINITELY would not swap Mandron for him. 

He was certainly tremendous against hearts in his last game for the club. And no would not swap for him but was talking about swapping Main for Mandron.