The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

40 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

If N.I come looking for Robbo, he’s away unfortunately 👎

Can’t knock back managing your country!

Hmmm.

A large part of Robbo’s success for me has been his signing successes. You can’t sign players at international level. I certainly wouldn’t want to take charge of NI at the moment. Their squad is an absolute shower. Could only end badly for him in my opinion. I’m more concerned about Aberdeen bagging Robson. 

Just now, Spam_Valley said:

You can’t knock back the opportunity to manage your country. It might only come your way once in your career. If the squad is as bad as it is and he fails then, he’d walk back into a Premiership job in no time.

no brainer for him really.

Whats their squad like though?

He could wait 5 years and get the job when theyre on their way up again.

Just now, Spam_Valley said:

f**k knows. I’m not Northern Irish, I don’t pay them any attention.

If they’re on the way up then, you’d think that the manager that’s got them there would still be in the role?

It’s fcuking magic!

Two St Mirren players in it!

10 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

If they’re on the way up then, you’d think that the manager that’s got them there would still be in the role?

Michael O'Neill left the job for Stoke.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Michael O'Neill left the job for Stoke.

Depends how Robbos thinks about it, then.

Offered it when he’s riding high with St.Mirren, does poorly as Int’l Manager, sacked, then gets another club gig as his stock in club management would still be pretty high.

or

Knock it back, wait for this 5 year period and he’s never approached again.

55 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Hmmm.

A large part of Robbo’s success for me has been his signing successes. You can’t sign players at international level. I certainly wouldn’t want to take charge of NI at the moment. Their squad is an absolute shower. Could only end badly for him in my opinion. I’m more concerned about Aberdeen bagging Robson. 

I’d be more concerned about Hearts binning Naismith.

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Aye that too. 

I don’t want to come across as patronising, but you’d suspect he’d be interested to talk to either if he knew either wanted to speak with him.

He’d probably want to leave St Mirren on good terms, & at a time that’s not disruptive to St Mirren, but football rarely works that way. 

27 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

Depends how Robbos thinks about it, then.

Offered it when he’s riding high with St.Mirren, does poorly as Int’l Manager, sacked, then gets another club gig as his stock in club management would still be pretty high.

or

Knock it back, wait for this 5 year period and he’s never approached again.

He only gets one go at though.

Leave a club on a high for a struggling team, never turn it around and 2 years later hes starting again at a St Mirren type club having blown his chance with NI.

Or ride the train with St Mirren until it runs out of steam, and try and get the NI job at a better time in this history?

They have a relatively young squad it looks like, so let another manager suffer through the inexperience struggles.

37 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I don’t want to come across as patronising, but you’d suspect he’d be interested to talk to either if he knew either wanted to speak with him.

He’d probably want to leave St Mirren on good terms, & at a time that’s not disruptive to St Mirren, but football rarely works that way. 

Yeah, I don't think Aberdeen would come in for Robbo if they binned Robson as I don't think the fans would stand for it in all honesty, rightly or wrongly he's just not sexy enough for them, especially after the Goodwin reign. Hearts fans however are a lot more pragmatic and I think would take him no bother.

Robinson would take the NI job if it was offered to him. He'd be increasing his salary significantly, still be able to live in Scotland where his family are, and if he does well then he'd be a shoe in for a reasonable job down south - like O'Neil did. If it goes belly up, he'd waltz back into another gig in the Scottish Premiership or a bigger Championship side without too much trouble. 

As far as Hearts and Aberdeen go, his name would be mentioned by they'd probably rather plump for someone outside the Scottish game who is seen as a more exciting appointment, Daniel Stendel springs to mind.

I think he needs another step before getting a decent gig down south given he's been down there a couple of times before. I think Northern Ireland is the most likely step up he's getting from us.

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Robinson would take the NI job if it was offered to him. He'd be increasing his salary significantly, still be able to live in Scotland where his family are, and if he does well then he'd be a shoe in for a reasonable job down south - like O'Neil did. If it goes belly up, he'd waltz back into another gig in the Scottish Premiership or a bigger Championship side without too much trouble. 

As far as Hearts and Aberdeen go, his name would be mentioned by they'd probably rather plump for someone outside the Scottish game who is seen as a more exciting appointment, Daniel Stendel springs to mind.

I think he needs another step before getting a decent gig down south given he's been down there a couple of times before. I think Northern Ireland is the most likely step up he's getting from us.

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but I don't there are any "ifs" relating to the NI job. I think he'd be absolutely nailed on to fail with their current squad. The laboratory created hybrid of Alex Ferguson, Jock Stein and Bill Shankly wouldn't achieve anything with that lot.

However, I'm not saying he wouldn't take it, I'm saying he shouldn't take it. Not now anyway. Unless of course cash was his sole driver.

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

44 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but I don't there are any "ifs" relating to the NI job. I think he'd be absolutely nailed on to fail with their current squad. The laboratory created hybrid of Alex Ferguson, Jock Stein and Bill Shankly wouldn't achieve anything with that lot.

However, I'm not saying he wouldn't take it, I'm saying he shouldn't take it. Not now anyway. Unless of course cash was his sole driver.

Think it would be unfair to say that cash would be the sole driver. The lure of managing your country must be strong, as well as the chance to go up against some top sides in qualifiers. And he'd be confident in his ability to improve them I'm sure. 

It's all moot currently anyway. Hopefully O'Neil stays at Northen Ireland and we get at least another couple of strong seasons under Robinson