The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Baccus man of the match today

I watched the second half and he strolled about the midfield making passes and breaking up play when required.

Nearly scored a 40 yard OG mind you.:lol:

34 minutes ago, elvis said:

So a team thrown together from local amateurs lol

Yes, it’s a training camp, it’s what you do at training camps………..play training games.

Honestly, when people are mocking training games and complaining about loan signings it highlights 2 things.

Some people are moaning faced gits.

There is nothing else to complain about at the club right now.

30 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Yes, it’s a training camp, it’s what you do at training camps………..play training games.

Honestly, when people are mocking training games and complaining about loan signings it highlights 2 things.

Some people are moaning faced gits.

There is nothing else to complain about at the club right now.

Would you expect anything else from the individual concerned?

Edited by FTOF

Thanks for posting this. I don’t mean to be negative, but giving away 2 penalties and losing a goal from a set piece isn’t great. Training game or not. These are the basic mistakes we need to cut out if we want to stay in the top 6. 

Been thinking about the Kwon loan, and I had a look at the YT examples of his play. Overall it looks like he is a "less aggressive Gogic" type of player, albeit he doesn't operate well further forward where Gogic can. He's tall and lanky and seems to have a decent bit of upper body strength (always useful for tall players). That said, I have no idea the level of Korean football. I've seen videos where he performs deft flicks or little spins to get away from someone, but the context does not look like it is a physical game. As I say, my ignorance of Korean football is doing me a disservice.

If the lad can play, and it's clear he can, and that he can play within a pacey physical environment, then I think we've got a bit of a gem there. For me, we don't really have an out and out defensive midfielder in the team. Gogic perhaps but he's now pretty much a defender. CBM, is good, although not consistently good, and I see him far more as a creative player than destructive one. Baccus and O'Hara are excellent players for us, although both have gone off and on the boil over the last 2 seasons, which is totally understandable, if they were 10/10 every game they wouldn't be with us! What I'd like to see is both of them getting involved up field. O'Hara has a finish, there's no doubting that, and I'm sure Baccus would be assisting that. Sadly he's not really a goal scorer, but definitely benefits us playing in the mid to last third rather than the first.

The way I see it, our more creative and attacking midfielders are getting pulled into the defensive role as we don't have anyone specifically designed for that role. With that in mind, Kwon makes sense, if that is how Robinson sees him - and of course we'll need to wait and see where he ends up getting game time. The thing just hinges on whether he can adapt to Scottish football, and considering he'd hardly kicked a ball for Celtic one might suggest he is struggling for one reason or another. Still, that's the gamble right?

Here is one of those videos I was watching, and I hope it sort of backs up what I was saying above...

Edited by Ric

13 minutes ago, Friskysteed said:

Thanks for posting this. I don’t mean to be negative, but giving away 2 penalties and losing a goal from a set piece isn’t great. Training game or not. These are the basic mistakes we need to cut out if we want to stay in the top 6. 

That's why you have pre-season, iron out the kinks, get people back up to speed and to test out any strategic or formation tweaks. For example, 'if' Robinson said, "I don't want the defenders pushing out when we are attacked, I want the midfield to step back". They try it in pre-season, it ends up with us losing a couple of goals... now, is that a bad thing? For me, no. Things were tried in a 'test environment' where the risks were minimal if any.

Edited by Ric

20 minutes ago, Friskysteed said:

Mate. Just no.

Asked a few boys I know who live in Korea if they knew anything about Kwon. 

This was the response;

"Not seen too much of him but he was highly rated and got his military service out of the way early (usually a sign that the player is a good prospect). I think he's a bit box to box. Celtic probably signed him too soon. Definitely needs games"

I'm looking forward to seeing him play. I also wonder if it will get us any exposure in Korea. Their sports channels tend to just focus on where Korean players are playing (Spurs, Wolves, Bayern Munich, PSG, and now Celtic). While we won't be live on TV in Korea every week, we might get on the highlight reels. 

Edit: just to clarify before anyone jumps in, I'm not expecting any modest exposure in Korea to see Samsung or Hyundai want to invest, or shirt sales take off in Seoul. 

Edited by houston_bud

Another goal for Fraser Taylor yesterday (2 in 2 games). 23 appearances now this season with most of them being the full 90 minutes. Strange that there's been no word yet on whether his loan will be extended or not. 

Meanwhile, Luke Kenny is still at Cliftonville but has hardly been involved. Think he may have been injured for a spell.