The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

24 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

In terms of the forward, January is slim pickings for clubs in our position.

The only 3 options are either a free transfer or someone whose contract has just run down, a loan signing, or a player on a PCA that we can convince their club to let us have now like what happened with Brophy a few years back.

With that in mind, forwards in the league in that position (out of contract in the summer) that might be realistic include Bruce Anderson, Christian Doidge, Jordan White and Joel Nouble. I'm not saying it's any of those players but just trying to think what full time signings may be within our price range.

If it was any of those I would go for Bruce Anderson

49 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I would take Lowry in a minute. Taylor needs to stay where he is for now. 

Its all about opinions but I dont think he is ready yet. 

I don’t think anyone is in a position to know if he’s ready or not mate, none of us have seen him play this season and I know the management here rate him highly. I’d much rather give our own player a chance than loan someone in who is the exact same age.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

In terms of the forward, January is slim pickings for clubs in our position.

The only 3 options are either a free transfer or someone whose contract has just run down, a loan signing, or a player on a PCA that we can convince their club to let us have now like what happened with Brophy a few years back.

With that in mind, forwards in the league in that position (out of contract in the summer) that might be realistic include Bruce Anderson, Christian Doidge, Jordan White and Joel Nouble. I'm not saying it's any of those players but just trying to think what full time signings may be within our price range.

Every one of those guys screams Robbo signing, each in different ways 

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Which makes me think that one would be unlikely as it really didn't work out for White under Robinson at Motherwell.

Lasted 6 months. Robinson had resigned and Alexander was in place by the time he was binned off to County.

Scored 0 goals in 20 appearances. Robinson didn't have a fucking clue what to do with him tbqh.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Lasted 6 months. Robinson had resigned and Alexander was in place by the time he was binned off to County.

Scored 0 goals in 20 appearances. Robinson didn't have a fucking clue what to do with him tbqh.

I remember him going to Motherwell and bring relived as I know we were very interested when he was at Caley but I didn't rate him and his spell at Motherwell proved me right I thought. 

He's done relatively well at County but just doesn't fit the mould for me being 32 and not very pacy or mobile which Robinson has gone on record as saying is a requirement. 

Of the four I've mentioned, Anderson is probably the one that'd fit the mould of what we need most. Nouble is pretty close in style to Ayunga and neither Doidge or White are young or mobile enough in my opinion.

1 hour ago, SS77 said:

I don’t think anyone is in a position to know if he’s ready or not mate, none of us have seen him play this season and I know the management here rate him highly. I’d much rather give our own player a chance than loan someone in who is the exact same age.

I get where your coming from but I really don't believe Taylor is anywhere near the level Lowry is - and he's a smashing painter too...

2 hours ago, AW saint said:

Robbo confirmed Olusanya, R Taylor both suspended for tomorrow. Also doubts about O'Hara and McMenamin. 

So they are all out, what's our team tomorrow then?

Here's my attempt :-

Zack

Fraser Goga Bolton

Elvis   Kwon  CBM   Tans

Namani  Ayunga  Kiltie

Subs   Flynn, Mandron, Dunne, LJ, Sutherland, O'Hara, Urminsky, Lowry, Conor

Who else?

10 minutes ago, medals said:

Here's my attempt :-

Zack

Fraser Goga Bolton

Elvis   Kwon  CBM   Tans

Namani  Ayunga  Kiltie

Subs   Flynn, Mandron, Dunne, LJ, Sutherland, O'Hara, Urminsky, Lowry, Conor

Who else?

:lol:

I'd be amazed if we were thinking of Lowry. We will have attacking options in mind and Lowry has only become available late this afternoon so we'd need to have had the heads up already that he was going to be available. 

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

:lol:

I'd be amazed if we were thinking of Lowry. We will have attacking options in mind and Lowry has only become available late this afternoon so we'd need to have had the heads up already that he was going to be available. 

Lowry has been on our radar before and I believe a 2nd time before he went to Hearts.

Ok it's unlikely he'll be listed tomorrow,  but we are light in midfield currently and he is creative.

It's a watch this space moment.

8 minutes ago, medals said:

Lowry has been on our radar before and I believe a 2nd time before he went to Hearts.

Ok it's unlikely he'll be listed tomorrow,  but we are light in midfield currently and he is creative.

It's a watch this space moment.

Robinson said today he's looking to add two more. A forward and a LWB for cover if budget allows after the forward.

Again, I'd be highly shocked if he changes stock on his plan just because Lowry, who has been not that impressive with Hearts and hasn't proven a thing yet at this level, is now available.

And as @SS77 said, I'd rather develop our own player in that situation. Kwon is a bit different as we literally don't have anyone like for like in terms of postion on verge of breaking into the first team whereas Fraser Taylor, who can play wide, has been on the fringes.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Robinson said today he's looking to add two more. A forward and a LWB for cover if budget allows after the forward.

Again, I'd be highly shocked if he changes stock on his plan just because Lowry, who has been not that impressive with Hearts and hasn't proven a thing yet at this level, is now available.

And as @SS77 said, I'd rather develop our own player in that situation. Kwon is a bit different as we literally don't have anyone like for like in terms of postion on verge of breaking into the first team whereas Fraser Taylor, who can play wide, has been on the fringes.

SR has tried to get Lowry before. My concern is that perhaps there is clear interest in Baccus.

FT is nowhere near the level of Lowry. Hearts didn't sign FT when they were short in that area and Lowry looked very decent when he scored and assisted for them, as well as a number of other fine passes and crosses.

He's a guy that SR could get a lot out of, I have little doubt.

Man we thought FT needed to go out to develop as he wasn't gonna get minutes for us. I doubt 1/2 a season in Ireland suddenly has him ready now.

8 minutes ago, medals said:

SR has tried to get Lowry before. My concern is that perhaps there is clear interest in Baccus.

FT is nowhere near the level of Lowry. Hearts didn't sign FT when they were short in that area and Lowry looked very decent when he scored and assisted for them, as well as a number of other fine passes and crosses.

He's a guy that SR could get a lot out of, I have little doubt.

Man we thought FT needed to go out to develop as he wasn't gonna get minutes for us. I doubt 1/2 a season in Ireland suddenly has him ready now.

I get what you mean but I'd rather we develop him with minutes than a player in Lowry that I am neither convinced is ready just now, nor will we see a long term benefit from.

Lowry has no league goals and 2 league assists to show for in 12 appearances (10 starts) with Hearts, one of the more attacking sides in the division. 

Edited by djchapsticks

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I get what you mean but I'd rather we develop him with minutes than a player in Lowry that I am neither convinced is ready just now, nor will we see a long term benefit from.

Lowry has no league goals and 2 league assists to show for in 12 appearances (10 starts) with Hearts, one of the more attacking sides in the division. 

He scored the winner to put Hearts into the semi in the Viaplay Cup too.

I can't see him staying with his current mob much longer either.

P.S. we are developing FT, that is the point of his current loan deal.

Edited by medals

2 minutes ago, medals said:

He scored the winner to put Hearts into the semi in the Viaplay Cup too.

I can't see him staying with his current mob much longer either.

If it was a case of him signing and us developing him then I'd be inclined to think differently to be fair. I hate idea of us developing an OF player who we'd never get the benefit of though if we have someone relatively close to the first team that we could develop instead.

I'd feel the exact same about Kwon if we had a young defensive mid trying to break through but we don't.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

If it was a case of him signing and us developing him then I'd be inclined to think differently to be fair. I hate idea of us developing an OF player who we'd never get the benefit of though if we have someone relatively close to the first team that we could develop instead.

I'd feel the exact same about Kwon if we had a young defensive mid trying to break through but we don't.

Yeah we're on that same page (bold above).

I think we do get benefit from loans too though. How much did Lowry earn Hearts in the next round?

We wouldn't have Kwon otherwise either.

Lowry will move on from that mob and we might just be his next 1 or 2 steps, on loan, then a deal.