The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I walked through these guys while they were looking for Dundee fans after the recent game. What struck me was that there were actually some older, fairly formidable looking characters amongst them, in contrast to the type of guys you'd normally expect to see in these groups.

15 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

In short terms, people should be scared to leave the house because of young people of ethnicity inciting violence on any and everyone. 

A complete brainworms moment.

Always knew he was a bit of a twat, but that’s totally out of order. Don’t need that sort of shit on here or anywhere. No big loss if we never hear from him again (in any guise)

On 17/02/2024 at 21:56, Buttocks Brown said:

Robinson will probably feel sheepish about the altercation tonight, but it makes me like him even more. Totally authentic and, in any walk of life, if your boss stands up for you like that then you'll want to run through a brick wall for them. That sets us up well for the run in.

I love having him as our manager!

yes, I agree, if I am honest; when first I heard that he was coming, overwhelming underwhelming, was my reaction, yet another mediocre incumbent for the St Mirren job............and we have had many of them; however, I stand corrected, and gladly so as he has shown clearly he has a talent and the charisma to do the job and to do it well, like others I find the outburst with the fan confirmation that he gives a damn.

On 19/02/2024 at 18:55, larry the lion said:

they were behaving disgracefully at the Livi North train station, utter thugs. We were genuinely scared for our daughter who was getting off coming from Edinburgh, coupled with their behaviour after the game to some fans including a disabled Livi fan, I think its safe to say you have a problem.

One that needs addressing immediately before it gets further out of hand.

Its a reflection on you, your club and community, so I'd say step in and sort it out through whatever means possible...

fair comment sir

A weirdo element of our support didn't want Robinson to begin with and actively relish in us picking up poor results as a stick to beat him with.

He's comfortably the best manager we've had in my near 30 years going to games.

Chinning him for absolutely everything and anything is pathetic. A tiny section wanted him sacked for "sarcastically applauding" after a game FFS.

Some utter oddballs just don't want him at the club for some unknown reason.

15 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I walked through these guys while they were looking for Dundee fans after the recent game. What struck me was that there were actually some older, fairly formidable looking characters amongst them, in contrast to the type of guys you'd normally expect to see in these groups.

By no means am I saying that this group are the first to do it, but there is a clear danger of other groups from other clubs seeing this behaviour and making it a competition. Someone said previously that it is a societal issue and that is absolutely bang on. Dundee annually has issues with youth (and older people it must be said) setting fires, throwing fireworks at police and generally causing chaos. You had that group of Dunfermline fans earlier on in the season kicking lumps out of a Raith Rovers fan with a disability. 

It is absolutely nothing to do with depravation or poverty and everything to do with these wee cretins knowing they can do something and get away with it. Repercussion does not exist nowadays - not to any meaningful level. 

Something has to be done but unfortunately, I can only see it happening in such a way that does not help the reputation of every law-abiding football fan that goes to the game with their mates just to watch it!

What I would say is that I feel for St Mirren fans having their name dragged through the mud because of a small group. 

53 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

By no means am I saying that this group are the first to do it, but there is a clear danger of other groups from other clubs seeing this behaviour and making it a competition. Someone said previously that it is a societal issue and that is absolutely bang on. Dundee annually has issues with youth (and older people it must be said) setting fires, throwing fireworks at police and generally causing chaos. You had that group of Dunfermline fans earlier on in the season kicking lumps out of a Raith Rovers fan with a disability. 

It is absolutely nothing to do with depravation or poverty and everything to do with these wee cretins knowing they can do something and get away with it. Repercussion does not exist nowadays - not to any meaningful level. 

Something has to be done but unfortunately, I can only see it happening in such a way that does not help the reputation of every law-abiding football fan that goes to the game with their mates just to watch it!

What I would say is that I feel for St Mirren fans having their name dragged through the mud because of a small group. 

This is spot on. I am of pensionable age and have enjoyed my trips each season to St Mirren. The NB lads create a good atmosphere and I have never felt intimidated or threatened when coming to the matches in Paisley. That could all change if wallopers  like these neds leech on to the club. If I don't feel safe, I'm not going, simple.  I'm NOT saying they are part of the NB crew but others may conclude differently, and that  would be a shame. Every club seems to attract an undesirable element , goodness knows we have a few questionable attendees as well. Attacking a less able fan , nicking his stuff, probably just for kicks,. is a disgrace. Hope someone grasses on them.

17 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

A weirdo element of our support didn't want Robinson to begin with and actively relish in us picking up poor results as a stick to beat him with.

He's comfortably the best manager we've had in my near 30 years going to games.

Chinning him for absolutely everything and anything is pathetic. A tiny section wanted him sacked for "sarcastically applauding" after a game FFS.

Some utter oddballs just don't want him at the club for some unknown reason.

If he had any connection to St Mirren prior to becoming manager then he wouldn’t have got half the stick he has. Goodwin got away with murder purely because of who he was.

The club is in far better shape on and off the park now with Robinson in charge and long may it continue.

44 minutes ago, SS77 said:

If he had any connection to St Mirren prior to becoming manager then he wouldn’t have got half the stick he has. Goodwin got away with murder purely because of who he was.

The club is in far better shape on and off the park now with Robinson in charge and long may it continue.

100%

I personally know at least one or two who still can't take to him. I don't know if it's that they can't swallow their pride and admit they were wrong and take an opportunity like Saturday to use as an excuse to throw abuse again.

His first full season, he got us our highest finish in my lifetime supporting the club and he is on course for another successful season if we keep momentum going. We were never sitting this high under previous management.

47 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Think this is spot on.

I also feel, personally, that it's a bit of an "Old Firm" attitude to insist that the manager be a "St Murn man" before they will be treated the same and given the same chance as any other manager.

However, it's also doubly dim because, given Robbo now DOES have links with the club, he's about as much of a "St Murn man" as Goodwin ever was anyway (it's not like the latter supported us. I do get he was there as captain for the LC win etc but it doesn't actually mean he is any more "linked" with us than any other player or manager, past or present).

On 21/02/2024 at 00:43, Dirty Sanchez said:

I remember around 10-12 years ago, I was getting the bus home from a home game and a guy sitting across from me dressed in casual attire started chatting to me about the game. He revealed he wasn't at the game and was a fan of another team that joined with St Mirren casuals as he loved a scrap. Never went to the game, just joined in on the pre and post match stuff with the opposition. Don't know if that's still a thing though found it odd.

Edited by smellthepaw

1 hour ago, SS77 said:

So true. Some of our fans seem decidedly unhappy that we're playing fine at the moment and are waiting for an opportunity to stick the knife in. They'd much rather we were shite and fighting at the bottom to have a moan. 

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

So true. Some of our fans seem decidedly unhappy that we're playing fine at the moment and are waiting for an opportunity to stick the knife in. They'd much rather we were shite and fighting at the bottom to have a moan. 

Yeah it’s bizarre man.

We really need to be grateful for what we have at the moment because it’s going to be very hard for any future manager to replicate it.

7 hours ago, SS77 said:

Agreed.

Also think Lasley deserves a lot of credit.

Those guys have made a huge difference to the club.

On 22/02/2024 at 08:48, SS77 said:

Jim Goodwin would never have been appointed St Mirren manager if it wasn't for his past association with the club. He was appointed because of who he was, not because of what he had done as a manager at Alloa, which was bang average. His appointment was uninspiring but the board knew there was a lot riding on getting someone that would get the fans onside after the Stubbs shambles and the somewhat acrimonious end to Oran Kearney.

Arguably, Goodwin getting the Aberdeen job is the best thing that has happened to the club over the past six years. It allowed the new board to pick a manager on merit and the results prove that.

16 minutes ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

Arguably, Goodwin getting the Aberdeen job is the best thing that has happened to the club over the past six years. It allowed the new board to pick a manager on merit and the results prove that.

Jim did oversee a relatively successful period as manager during a difficult time off field. 
IIRC he took us to two cup semi finals in 20/21. I think he also brought in McGrath who we sold on. 
Let’s not forget he was the manager in charge when this guy scored a crucial goal. 

IMG_7733.thumb.webp.418269a59975d4fea202cff842ff7b2a.webp

Getting fees for McGrath, Goodwin and coaching staff made a difference to the club struggling financially. 

He certainly did a far better job than a number of other previous managers too numerous to mention. 😂 

Hitting top 6 for us this season will be hugely significant as we are definitely punching above rivals in the league with greater resources.

Being able to use that additional prize money to start negotiations with some existing players, staff and new targets early doors will hopefully set us up for next season. 

COYS.

2 hours ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

Jim Goodwin would never have been appointed St Mirren manager if it wasn't for his past association with the club. He was appointed because of who he was, not because of what he had done as a manager at Alloa, which was bang average. His appointment was uninspiring but the board knew there was a lot riding on getting someone that would get the fans onside after the Stubbs shambles and the somewhat acrimonious end to Oran Kearney.

Goodwin got Alloa promoted and kept them in the Championship, they were the only part time team there at that time. 

As St Mirren manager, we stayed up pretty comfortably in his first season (admittedly the short covid season), he got us to two semi finals  missed out on top 6 by a last minute goal the following season, then had us well on track for top 6 before he left for Aberdeen.

You're probably right that wouldn't have got the job had he not played for us - although we have taken managers from part time teams before like Lennon and Hendrie - but he did well for Alloa and he did well for St Mirren.

I wouldn't swap him for Robinson, but Goodwin was a good manager for St Mirren (and Alloa) by any measure.

5 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Goodwin got Alloa promoted and kept them in the Championship, they were the only part time team there at that time. 

As St Mirren manager, we stayed up pretty comfortably in his first season (admittedly the short covid season), he got us to two semi finals  missed out on top 6 by a last minute goal the following season, then had us well on track for top 6 before he left for Aberdeen.

You're probably right that wouldn't have got the job had he not played for us - although we have taken managers from part time teams before like Lennon and Hendrie - but he did well for Alloa and he did well for St Mirren.

I wouldn't swap him for Robinson, but Goodwin was a good manager for St Mirren (and Alloa) by any measure.

I agree with your point and think that overall he was a good manager for us, but we were hardly comfortable in his first season. If we'd lost that final game against hearts by 2 goals we'd have been relegated. His time with us was generally an upward trend though and we were unfortunate to not achieve a top 6 finish.