The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

37 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Ok so we’re agreed that VAR is not the problem then 👍

It is for me.

Before VAR the odd goal was chopped off for an offside or a foul in the box. Most of the time you were fairly aware of what had happened and that the goal might be chalked off. However, for the majority, you could celebrate wildly and generally make a complete tit of yourself.

However, now, because every goal is subject to near forensic scrutiny, I find myself, like many others not being unable to celebrate a goal properly. We're in the ridiculous situation where you're not really sure a goal has been awarded until the ref gives the signal for the opposition to restart the game. By then it's more a sense of relief than elation.

It has taken away a huge part of the enjoyment of attending a game for me. 

11 minutes ago, FTOF said:

It is for me.

Before VAR the odd goal was chopped off for an offside or a foul in the box. Most of the time you were fairly aware of what had happened and that the goal might be chalked off. However, for the majority, you could celebrate wildly and generally make a complete tit of yourself.

However, now, because every goal is subject to near forensic scrutiny, I find myself, like many others not being unable to celebrate a goal properly. We're in the ridiculous situation where you're not really sure a goal has been awarded until the ref gives the signal for the opposition to restart the game. By then it's more a sense of relief than elation.

It has taken away a huge part of the enjoyment of attending a game for me. 

I’m clearly not doing a very good job of explaining my view because people’s responses are showing that they’re not getting it.
I’ll repeat (for the last time) that my version of how VAR should be applied would give you exactly what you’ve described that you want above. 
it would only make decisions based on really obvious errors, in other words to quote your post above “Most of the time you’d be fairly aware of what had happened and that the goal might be chalked off.” This would be the same I.e you’d be thinking, that looked offside like you used to do. 
This key to this would be making decisions in say a maximum of 15 seconds which for an obvious offside should be more than doable. Same with penalty decisions and sendings off. 
What is VAR in its most basic form. It’s a system designed to stop mistakes being made by officials in football. I fail to see how anyone couldn’t want that. That only leaves its application and therein lies the problem. That’s my point. 

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Why do people keep saying this? How much more evidence do you need? 🤣

Aye.

*sees VAR failing in every league its in, including one that spends hundreds of millions on it*

"VAR is not the problem"

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye.

*sees VAR failing in every league its in, including one that spends hundreds of millions on it*

"VAR is not the problem"

In what way is VAR “failing” in England?

Because a whole load of change allergic people don’t like it or because it still makes a few mistakes?

just pulling numbers from thin air for the purposes of making a point, but imagine in a pre VAR world there were 100 incorrect decisions a season and in a post VAR world there are 20. In my opinion VAR doing its job.

That said I believe the application of VAR in England is just as wrong as it is in Scotland I.e what it’s used for. The levels of incompetence by officials is nothing like as bad in England though. 

3 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

The levels of incompetence by officials is nothing like as bad in England though. 

Depends on whether you support a diddy team or not…..

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12853146/three-massive-var-decisions-go-in-spurs-favour-against-brighton

This was one game that largely went unnoticed as it was only plucky wee Brighton. 

I hate VAR as much as I hate Spurs. 

36 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’m clearly not doing a very good job of explaining my view because people’s responses are showing that they’re not getting it.
I’ll repeat (for the last time) that my version of how VAR should be applied would give you exactly what you’ve described that you want above. 
it would only make decisions based on really obvious errors, in other words to quote your post above “Most of the time you’d be fairly aware of what had happened and that the goal might be chalked off.” This would be the same I.e you’d be thinking, that looked offside like you used to do. 
This key to this would be making decisions in say a maximum of 15 seconds which for an obvious offside should be more than doable. Same with penalty decisions and sendings off. 
What is VAR in its most basic form. It’s a system designed to stop mistakes being made by officials in football. I fail to see how anyone couldn’t want that. That only leaves its application and therein lies the problem. That’s my point. 

We're "getting it" absolutely fine thank you.

You seem to be inventing a VAR system that doesn't exist and never will.

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

We're "getting it" absolutely fine thank you.

You seem to be inventing a VAR system that doesn't exist and never will.

Eh?

What’s so difficult about changing the parameters of VAR? All it takes is a decision? 
If you’re saying you think no one will take that decision that’s fine, but it doesn’t mean that decision can’t be taken and it doesn’t mean VAR is shit as a concept. 

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Eh?

What’s so difficult about changing the parameters of VAR? All it takes is a decision? 
If you’re saying you think no one will take that decision that’s fine, but it doesn’t mean that decision can’t be taken and it doesn’t mean VAR is shit as a concept. 

Plenty of us disagree because it's quite obvious that it's never going to exist in a format that doesn't degrade the the match day experience and the enjoyment that comes with it.

We'll agree to disagree.

27 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Because a whole load of change allergic people don’t like it or because it still makes a few mistakes?

just pulling numbers from thin air for the purposes of making a point, but imagine in a pre VAR world there were 100 incorrect decisions a season and in a post VAR world there are 20. In my opinion VAR doing its job.

That said I believe the application of VAR in England is just as wrong as it is in Scotland I.e what it’s used for. The levels of incompetence by officials is nothing like as bad in England though. 

It ruins the matchday experience and gets plenty wrong.

Even in your magical world youre admitting that itll still make mistakes so, whats the actual point?

If youre wanting it in with a 30 second time limit and acceptance itll get things wrong, then its literally not worth having.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It ruins the matchday experience and gets plenty wrong.

Even in your magical world youre admitting that itll still make mistakes so, whats the actual point?

If youre wanting it in with a 30 second time limit and acceptance itll get things wrong, then its literally not worth having.

So I’m living in a “magical world”, but in you’re world, unless something is 100% perfect, then its not worth having??

Righto! 👍

Anyway let’s make an agreement. I’ll stop boring the arse off people about how VAR could work, if others stop boring the arse off people about how VAR isn’t working 👍

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

So I’m living in a “magical world”, but in you’re world, unless something is 100% perfect, then its not worth having??

When youre turning fans away from the game and costing every club 6 figures then yes, it needs to have a massive benefit to be worthwhile.

Anyone with a brain could, and can, tell you that it will simply widen the gap between clubs as the bigger clubs will get even more in their favour while the smaller clubs have to run (at least) 1 player short due to the cost of it. But still theres people believing its worthwhile as itll balance things out.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

When youre turning fans away from the game and costing every club 6 figures then yes, it needs to have a massive benefit to be worthwhile.

Anyone with a brain could, and can, tell you that it will simply widen the gap between clubs as the bigger clubs will get even more in their favour while the smaller clubs have to run (at least) 1 player short due to the cost of it. But still theres people believing its worthwhile as itll balance things out.

I always check out once folk resort to insults.

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Brainless. 👍

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I always check out once folk resort to insults.

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Brainless. 👍

Enjoy football in 5 years when theres barely any fans at the game, its stopping 10 times every half for 3 minute checks, and you can never return it to what it was 👍

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Enjoy football in 5 years when theres barely any fans at the game, its stopping 10 times every half for 3 minute checks, and you can never return it to what it was 👍

And yet you still persist with your argument based on what VAR is now, which I’ve never argued against. How can I make this more simple?

If VAR persists in its current form, I agree with you. I never said otherwise. 

The VAR discussion ended up going the way it thought, and while I have sympathy for those saying, "VAR isn't giving us the sorts of equality and accountability that we were told it would", the simple fact is that VAR is here to stay. With that in mind, do you continue to fight a Sisyphean battle or pivot to working on making it the accountability tool it really should be? I'm not here to convince anyone, just laying out the 'reality' as Eddie asked me to do.

While I would like to move on from this (the VAR thread is more than capable of holding any number of nuanced positions where this thread should be St Mirren specific) I do want to press on this being a "good thing" that the SFA admitted their error. It won't retrospectively change our points, but the only reason they felt the need to come out and admit that is because VAR is in place. Previously they had the excuse "the referee didn't get a complete look at it", whereas that deniability is no longer valid. Human error once again.

With that, I'll not try and not drag this topic on any more.

Edited by Ric

Was driving back along the M9 yesterday evening and there was a grey Mercedes in front of me, he left the motorway around Grangemouth/Falkirk.

The car reg was TIG 1877 and had the St Mirren badge on the left of the plate.

Noice, if anyone here.