The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Samson gets a lot of unfair stick - quite often from our own support. OK he's been a bit of a journeyman, but he's spent most of his career playing in the top flight, been in Scotland squads, won a league cup.

Gallacher will never achieve any of that. Sometimes when a keeper is playing for a team under a lot of pressure they have plenty of oportunities to make saves and it can make them seem better than they are.

As I said before I don't think Gallacher is a bad keeper, but the suggestion he is (or was) better than Samson is laughable.

No one is suggesting that, but based on what we had saw personally, Gallacher seemed a good enough option. Our last top flight 30 something journeyman keeper was an utter disaster from day 1, he had a more impressive CV than Samson did.

Most of us would rather see a younger guy with something to prove, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working thus far.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We had a game a few weeks back where he picked up TWO back passes. He just makes some absolute mind boggling decisions. He looks to have zero confidence whatsoever.

The Gallacher I seen play against us for Alloa seemed composed and comanded his area. The complete opposite of what we've seen so far.

His overall play for us was very poor in my opinion and he only played until the transfer window opened and Jack signed a young keeper who had never played a first team game in a competitive match in professional football who was much better. Says it all really.

11 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We had a game a few weeks back where he picked up TWO back passes. He just makes some absolute mind boggling decisions. He looks to have zero confidence whatsoever.

The Gallacher I seen play against us for Alloa seemed composed and comanded his area. The complete opposite of what we've seen so far.

To be fair, I know you and a few of the other Sons fans like Carswell which is fair enough, but the vast majority of ex St. Mirren players in that Dumbarton side are garbage. I was worried for Dumbarton as soon as I saw Gallacher, Hutton and Walsh coming in as all three are shite. 

Big Bucky is starting to come into a game as well. I was very critical of him to start with but thankfully he's growing into full time football very nicely indeed. 

To be fair, I know you and a few of the other Sons fans like Carswell which is fair enough, but the vast majority of ex St. Mirren players in that Dumbarton side are garbage. I was worried for Dumbarton as soon as I saw Gallacher, Hutton and Walsh coming in as all three are shite. 
Big Bucky is starting to come into a game as well. I was very critical of him to start with but thankfully he's growing into full time football very nicely indeed. 

Walsh has been pish. He looked very decent in pre season and was fairly good in hia previous spell but he's been posted missing in our 4 league games so far. He has the heart of a mouse.

Hutton was just a pointless signing and Callum Gallagher doesn't tend to play much. Thankfully Carswell has been a very effective player for us but out of the St Mirren rejects he's the only one.

I knew big Bucky would come good. Seems to have his head screwed on and has ability at this level. Was probably one of our biggest losses this summer and it took a vital player out the spine of our team. Pleasing to see him do well.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Walsh has been pish. He looked very decent in pre season and was fairly good in hia previous spell but he's been posted missing in our 4 league games so far. He has the heart of a mouse.

Hutton was just a pointless signing and Callum Gallagher doesn't tend to play much. Thankfully Carswell has been a very effective player for us but out of the St Mirren rejects he's the only one.

I knew big Bucky would come good. Seems to have his head screwed on and has ability at this level. Was probably one of our biggest losses this summer and it took a vital player out the spine of our team. Pleasing to see him do well.

Perfect summary of Walsh. He's clearly talented enough but he quite simply is not interested. 

Gallagher bothers me the least. He was a victim of poor luck and not fitting several of our shambolic systems. 

As soon as I saw Hutton had signed, I did wonder what it was about considering Carswell is there. Carswell and Hutton never played in the same St. Mirren side but fair to say that the very thought of the two of them playing together in the centre midfield and the lack of creativity generated by that pairing thoroughly disturbs and depresses me. 

43 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Bucky has been great our last two games can see him holding his place his confidence is growing. 

Great to hear Buchanan finding his feet now, and McGinn and McShane clicking. Will GMacK, Davies or Magennis walk straight back into the team? Would have been unthinkable weeks ago.

Did think about this yesterday and you're correct, unthinkable a few weeks ago....the three at the back have been excellent in the last 2 games and McGinn and McShane are starting to understand each other and form a good CM pairing.....Irvine to come back as well.

But even though it's a cliche it is true nowadays in that it's a squad game, injuries, suspensions etc will kick in and nice to have a decent squad, well need it.

Biggest worry for me is if McGinn gets injured, he's the leader, midfield enforcer and dictates the tempo of the team, playing below his level imo. Sure he wont be but just shouldn't be risked in any Irn bru cup games.

7 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Are you sure it's the same bloke?

Quite a common surname in these parts,..

100% this. We should play the u20s. Treat that competition with the contempt it deserves. 

See, I'd disagree. We're already out the League Cup, and who knows how far we'll get in the Scottish.

The Irn Bru Cup helped kick start our season last year too, and despite the result, the final was a great day out. As was the final in 2006 (1994 not so much).

I think having Colt teams in is a joke, and we should be using our squad on Saturday and giving other guys, like the Ross Stewarts, Kirkpatrick, a run out. But we should be trying to win every game.

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

See, I'd disagree. We're already out the League Cup, and who knows how far we'll get in the Scottish.

The Irn Bru Cup helped kick start our season last year too, and despite the result, the final was a great day out. As was the final in 2006 (1994 not so much).

I think having Colt teams in is a joke, and we should be using our squad on Saturday and giving other guys, like the Ross Stewarts, Kirkpatrick, a run out. But we should be trying to win every game.

I can see that point of view, and we do need to maintain momentum.

But last season we needed a distraction from the league; we needed a kick start. McGinn's goal against TNS was one of several critical turning points of our season.

This season we don't need that distraction, and we sure as hell don't need any injuries from some shitey colts player trying to make a name for himself.

Plus, and I know this is unlikely given what happened to Celtic's colts, but what if they beat our first team? 

Perhaps your approach is best. Use the squad to its fullest extent, maybe bring in a couple of the fringe/youth players.

I'd be pretty disappointed if we don't have a heavily rotated squad, for a game that should be treated in the category of preseason or the semi-final of the Renfrewshire cup.

It's the perfect opportunity for the fringe players to play in a 'competitive' game. I'd hope we won't see any of the players that played at the weekend in the starting line-up unless we have no-one fit or they require some more minutes.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I can see that point of view, and we do need to maintain momentum.

But last season we needed a distraction from the league; we needed a kick start. McGinn's goal against TNS was one of several critical turning points of our season.

This season we don't need that distraction, and we sure as hell don't need any injuries from some shitey colts player trying to make a name for himself.

Plus, and I know this is unlikely given what happened to Celtic's colts, but what if they beat our first team? 

Perhaps your approach is best. Use the squad to its fullest extent, maybe bring in a couple of the fringe/youth players.

I get that last season was different, and that we needed games to give the new players time on the pitch with one another, but I'd hate to just totally give up on a tournament. Especially as it's probably our only hope of silverware this season. 

Like I say though, I'd start the two Stewarts, Kirkpatrick, Sutton, O'Keefe, and give a good run out to any players coming back from injury.

20 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I get that last season was different, and that we needed games to give the new players time on the pitch with one another, but I'd hate to just totally give up on a tournament. Especially as it's probably our only hope of silverware this season. 

Like I say though, I'd start the two Stewarts, Kirkpatrick, Sutton, O'Keefe, and give a good run out to any players coming back from injury.

Let's say the following team plays on Saturday (I''ve put a 4-4-2 but in reality it'll be closer to our usual set-up), and keep in mind a couple of guys are being linked with a return to full training pretty soon:

-------------------------------------------------------Stewart------------------------------------------------------

---------Irvine--------------------------Whyte----------------------Baird----------Stelios/Eckersley------

-------Hilson/MacPherson-----------Todd/Horne-----------Kirkpartick-----------O'Keefe-------------

------------------------------------------Stewart------------------Sutton/Duffy---------------------------------

That side is almost a complete change from Saturday with only Baird and Stelios/Eck retaining their places but is still going to be strong enough to see off an U20 side with relative ease.

Edited by djchapsticks

19 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Are you counting the league as silverware? Because I think we are right in the mix for that. Certainly the idea that Falkirk and DUFC are the candidates in a two-horse race has been blown away already. 

Admittedly we're one of five teams who could win it, but we deffo have a shot.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Are you counting the league as silverware? Because I think we are right in the mix for that. Certainly the idea that Falkirk and DUFC are the candidates in a two-horse race has been blown away already. 

Admittedly we're one of five teams who could win it, but we deffo have a shot.

Yeah, but I'm trying to avoid even mentioning it as it's far too early.

Also in 1999/2000 and 2006/7 there was very much a 'ssshhhhh' atmosphere about mentioning winning the league. I don't like talking us up too much!

52 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Yeah, but I'm trying to avoid even mentioning it as it's far too early.

Also in 1999/2000 and 2006/7 there was very much a 'ssshhhhh' atmosphere about mentioning winning the league. I don't like talking us up too much!

Winning the SPL immediately after being promoted was never going to be easy.

13 hours ago, houston_bud said:

This is exactly what we should be doing add Duffy to the list.  It is a diddy cup but winning breads confidence and i could do with a wee away trip to one of the outsiders in the next round!!

47 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

This is exactly what we should be doing add Duffy to the list.  It is a diddy cup but winning breads confidence and i could do with a wee away trip to one of the outsiders in the next round!!

Forgot all about Duffy ? Agree him and Stewart up front to start.