The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

We need to strike a balance between pace and quality.

Connolly could run very fast, but was actually shit at football. He was so fast he could barely keep himself onside.

I’d rather have someone with a touch less pace and more ability rather than a guy who can only run fast.

21 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Connolly could run very fast, but was actually shit at football. He was so fast he could barely keep himself onside.

I’d rather have someone with a touch less pace and more ability rather than a guy who can only run fast.

I feel that's a wee bit harsh on the lad, there have been much worse to wear the stripes.

28 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Like many players of his type, especially at our level, he was very inconsistent.

He had some excellent games for us, where he clearly wasn't "shit at football".

A player of his abilities would make our team much better. Hopefully, Goodwin is looking for this type of player.

Edited by FTOF

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Are we sure we don't have a player like that in Jay Henderson? Crossing is inconsistent but he is a pacey tricky player?

Oh, indeed. I appreciate that young players can be inconsistent but he does seem like the sort of player that Goodwin wants in the side.

He got half a season loan at Clyde but that was back at the start of 20/21 season. I have no idea if he has been injured but it seems odd for him not to feature at all.

Just now, Ric said:

Oh, indeed. I appreciate that young players can be inconsistent but he does seem like the sort of player that Goodwin wants in the side.

He got half a season loan at Clyde but that was back at the start of 20/21 season. I have no idea if he has been injured but it seems odd for him not to feature at all.

It was weird. He won penalties against Thistle and Dundee at the start of the season. He looked really raw at times but was making an impact. Then pretty much vanished until the recent Celtic game.

Yeah I find it quite strange how fondly people remember Connolly. He’s been bench warming for Northampton Town in League 2 all season, so he’s hardly the one that got away. We probably could get him back if we wanted, but we won’t want to.
He had a couple of good games against Rangers and Celtic. Those type of games suited him as they pushed higher up and gave him space to get in behind with his pace. Any time any team played with any kind of deeper line he was useless because he didn’t have the skill to get past players.
The two semis last year summed up his Saints career perfectly. The first against Livi he started and was hopeless. Got himself in a good position at one point and messed up the final ball. The second against Saintees he came on when it was 0-0 and straight away was at fault for the first goal.
I’d hope - and expect us to - bring in players of a higher quality than him.
Most of our recent signings have been announced without being leaked first. So I’d expect a name that no one has mentioned to be signed next week.
Hopefully Matty Kennedy is the 2020’s version of Daryl Duffy. Perennially linked with us, but never actually signs for us. (edit, just remembered Duffy actually did sign for us and played twice in 2018 [emoji16])

14 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Yeah, or that tank of a Dutch striker we were linked with right at the then start of the Goody era. Looked more like a casual than a fitba player.

Thomas Verheydt.

His scoring record in the Dutch 2nd division since the move to us didn't materialise makes for very impressive reading indeed.

image.png.8e15d3104bc4b9fe66f821a445b735e7.png

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

The final nails in Goodwin's coffin, if these signings come to pass.

Kennedy in and of himself doesn't offend me as much as some but he's a guy coming off of a serious back injury in a wide role when we already have someone playing a wide role with chronic groin and back issues in Kyle McAllister. Why he thinks this would be a good idea at this point in the season is a mystery.

Drey Wright is fucking useless though and can bolt.

I liked Connolly. Gave some excitement when he came on. Could tear up defences causing some panic and created space for those charging forward. Great pass to Dennis for our first goal at Parkhead in 30 years. Started in 50% of our games last season. Could he have been better? Yes. However given a choice between Millar and Connolly it would be Connolly every time for me. Millar is slow and ponderous, cannot cross, and is constantly caught in possession as he cannot beat a man. 0 goals. Connolly scored 3 for us and at least gave us some hope and expectation. I don't expect anything when Millar has the ball.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Kennedy in and of himself doesn't offend me as much as some but he's a guy coming off of a serious back injury in a wide role when we already have someone playing a wide role with chronic groin and back issues in Kyle McAllister. Why he thinks this would be a good idea at this point in the season is a mystery.

Drey Wright is fucking useless though and can bolt.

Hasn't played a game since August too, as I've highlighted several times. So he's not going to be match fit.

A completely pointless signing for January.

Agree entirely about Wright.

Anyway, we shouldn't be signing anyone whose forename is where a squirrel lives.............................

Just now, NorthBank said:

I liked Connolly. Gave some excitement when he came on. Could tear up defences causing some panic and created space for those charging forward. Great pass to Dennis for our first goal at Parkhead in 30 years. Started in 50% of our games last season. Could he have been better? Yes. However given a choice between Millar and Connolly it would be Connolly every time for me. Millar is slow and ponderous, cannot cross, and is constantly caught in possession as he cannot beat a man. 0 goals. Connolly scored 3 for us and at least gave us some hope and expectation. I don't expect anything when Millar has the ball.

The flip side to that is Connolly can't defend for toffee and was rotten at tracking back. Millar is a significantly better player in our half, Connolly better in the oppositions.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Anyway, we shouldn't be signing anyone whose forename is where a squirrel lives.............................

Don't worry, Allesandro Nesta retired some time ago.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

The flip side to that is Connolly can't defend for toffee and was rotten at tracking back. Millar is a significantly better player in our half, Connolly better in the oppositions.

And the flip flip side of that is last season was our best in decades and Connolly was part of that. This season we are dropping down the League and in spite of Millar being better defensively (but he is not that good as he can be slow to track back) we are still leaking goals like a sieve.

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

And the flip flip side of that is last season was our best in decades and Connolly was part of that. This season we are dropping down the League and in spite of Millar being better defensively (but he is not that good as he can be slow to track back) we are still leaking goals like a sieve.

Sure, but the whole team is not performing like it did last season, so it's not really a fair comparison of the players.

16 minutes ago, Ric said:

Sure, but the whole team is not performing like it did last season, so it's not really a fair comparison of the players.

I would suggest it is the manager who is not performing like he did last season but I take your point. (But Millar is still boring and ineffective :) ).

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I would suggest it is the manager who is not performing like he did last season but I take your point. (But Millar is still boring and ineffective :) ).

Heh, yeah, fair enough point! :)

As for Millar, I'm surprised people haven't warmed to him. Sure he's hardly been outstanding but considering he was thrown in when clearly not fit, and only been given bit parts after being out for injury, I think he's a bit maligned.