The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Read this morning that Beerschot are looking to offload Shankland.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/...kland-puts-spfl-clubs-25889060

Would people think we should take another chance on him? Would he be better or worse than the likes of Main, Dennis or Erwin?

Did he play for Utd this season that would mean he couldn't play for any other Scottish club this season apart from them as will have already played for 2 clubs already?

7 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

Would people think we should take another chance on him? Would he be better or worse than the likes of Main, Dennis or Erwin?

Did he play for Utd this season that would mean he couldn't play for any other Scottish club this season apart from them as will have already played for 2 clubs already?

Covid rules changed to allow three clubs in one season last year but don't know if that is still in place.

Either way, we'd only have a shout at him on loan but would probably be fighting most other clubs in the division. Think Beerschot paid about £1m for him, so they definitely won't cut him loose for nothing.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Covid rules changed to allow three clubs in one season last year but don't know if that is still in place.

The 5 sub rule reverted to normal after last season so I'd presume the only playing for 2 club rule did too.

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

That he still periodically rears his head and has the gall to complain about the club having ambitions but not giving him a budget is fucking hilarious when he spunked 75 grand plus a 3 year contract on Josh Heaton.

Heaton behaved just like Stubbs on social media. Yes he was a young guy but again he completely embarrassed himself on Twitter. Disrespecting the club and the fans while he ended up playing pub football in Australia. 

There can be no excuse for Stubbs he had a budget in place, but singlehandedly ruined the club.

Oran Kearney came in from part time football in N Ireland and in one incredible Jan Window, saved our club with some inspired signings.

18 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Heaton behaved just like Stubbs on social media. Yes he was a young guy but again he completely embarrassed himself on Twitter. Disrespecting the club and the fans while he ended up playing pub football in Australia. 

There can be no excuse for Stubbs he had a budget in place, but singlehandedly ruined the club.

Oran Kearney came in from part time football in N Ireland and in one incredible Jan Window, saved our club with some inspired signings.

As much as folk like Goodwin, I still think Kearney is one that got away. 

He's clearly a talented manager and he was growing more and more into the job. The way he left, there was some shadiness somewhere, possibly with both parties, but you can't blame the guy for prioritising family over work. Could you have imagined the effect it would have had on him being separated from his family during the covid lockdown?

25 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

As much as folk like Goodwin, I still think Kearney is one that got away. 

He's clearly a talented manager and he was growing more and more into the job. The way he left, there was some shadiness somewhere, possibly with both parties, but you can't blame the guy for prioritising family over work. Could you have imagined the effect it would have had on him being separated from his family during the covid lockdown?

Agreed, I was looking forward to seeing him bring more of his own players in. He could have had the summer to get a good pre season and make a real go of the job with a bit less of the pressure situation that he inherited from the Stubbs debacle. 

Some of us will always be indebted to Oran.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Not sure I go with all of that. Some of it sure, but I feel if he had come in with a fresh slate, no hassle from the previous managerial setup and given the time and money that others have, he'd have been found out pretty quick. It seems like he is given a bit of a pass because he had to take over from an utter clown and the mess he left.

I get the point regarding family, but it's not like the club can move over to Ireland for him. He knew the situation long before he signed on the dotted line. Family man he may be, but he made that choice, it was his decision, we never forced him to do anything.

That's not to say I have anything against Kearney. He did well considering the circumstances, then returned to Coleraine because he wanted to. I believe he is still doing well for them - didn't he guide them a few rounds into the Europa League?

One thing I really didn't like, although this wasn't really Kearney's fault, was the occasional input of that idiot Shiels, who is his father-in-law.

Edited by Ric

Just saw Cody Cooke on Twitter wishing King and Kellerman good luck for today. That's quite the shit footballer clique they formed.

I remember posting that pic during the shootout in the Killie game when there was a huge gap between the new and old players. I had jokingly said it looked like there was a divide. Turns out there really was 

12 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

I was in a bar with a bunch of great guys in  haymarket  bar  a certain web master stood up to a bunch of Hearts dick heads. I baked Div up what a gent a true Saint. After following Saints home and away since 1968 not sure I'm up for it.  We will see at the moment I'm pissed of with the club. Paying SMISA, 1877 Club Parking  , SMTV monthly, Season ticket.  . Not living in Paisley I have locals telling me we are the wee Celtic.  That pissed me off big time heard it so many times. Club shop, Jim with his son at Hampden.  You understand or don't. 

Stop associating with blue bigot arseholes then.

Edited by FTOF

2 hours ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

We’ve run out of magic beans.

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

There were quite a few of Stubbs signings that were not only total shite, but came across as complete wankers as well. Heaton was a total fucking dick. King as well, and I'm sure Coulson was mouthing off about the Scottish players at the club as well, doing the Joey Barton routine of "I was actually too good for them".

It was just a horrible few months for the club all round. At least Cody Cooke was a nice guy!

It's fucking frightening where we could have ended up with the amount of utter shite players we had, plus two of the worst managers on the planet we've had in charge of the club.
The financial cost must have been horrendous too. Particularly galling when a lot of it was probably used to pay off a succession of useless clowns.
One word FALKIRK

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
15 hours ago, FTOF said:
It's fucking frightening where we could have ended up with the amount of utter shite players we had, plus two of the worst managers on the planet we've had in charge of the club.
The financial cost must have been horrendous too. Particularly galling when a lot of it was probably used to pay off a succession of useless clowns.

One word FALKIRK

Not even just Falkirk. Despite all the whinging and moaning our fans do, when you look at the state of some of our peer clubs like Falkirk, Dunfermline, Morton, Partick Thistle, we are doing ok for a shambolicly run, financially fucked, front for whatever Kibble's latest evil plan that nobody can talk about is.

49 minutes ago, GAD said:

Not even just Falkirk. Despite all the whinging and moaning our fans do, when you look at the state of some of our peer clubs like Falkirk, Dunfermline, Morton, Partick Thistle, we are doing ok for a shambolicly run, financially fucked, front for whatever Kibble's latest evil plan that nobody can talk about is.

Evil underground lair. The pitch slides to one side when they need to launch their rockets.

TBH, all the clues are there. It's pretty obvious when you do your research, sheeple.

Good highlighting the Dung ahead of their rogering in Greenock