The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

The way everyone from 2nd-8th will take points off each other gives you the chance to wrap it up ridiculously early. 

I think that will continue to happen but there’s also no way Saints will continue to win week in, week out. We will drop points too.

I do think we are the best team in the division, but I don’t think there is a huge amount in it. Although we are winning games at the moment it’s not as if we’re winning them by 3 or 4 goals.

These 1 goal wins can easy become 1 goal losses.

Long way to go. I’ve seen us lose a cup final to 9 men.

I won’t believe we’ve won the league until I see that trophy in McGinns hands!

6 minutes ago, Div said:

I think that will continue to happen but there’s also no way Saints will continue to win week in, week out. We will drop points too.

I do think we are the best team in the division, but I don’t think there is a huge amount in it. Although we are winning games at the moment it’s not as if we’re winning them by 3 or 4 goals.

Spot on,  it's things like that final that will never let me look to far ahead take a game at a time,  Still plenty of points to play for 

43 minutes ago, Div said:

I feel quite uncomfortable with all and sundry saying we’ve won the league already.

I reckon 72 points will be enough to win it.  Still a long way to go!

Totally agree. I'm taking one game at a time, ticking off games - win on Saturday and there are 12 to go. All that matters right now is winning on Saturday.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

That's a good idea. I wonder if it's ever occurred to footballers to do that? ;)

I'm sure it's what the manager is drumming into them week on week. Win this game, then we can turn our attention to the next one. :)

8 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Totally agree. I'm taking one game at a time, ticking off games - win on Saturday and there are 12 to go. All that matters right now is winning on Saturday.

Spot on though ( if ) we win on Saturday and United get beat by ICT I can't see us losing 4 games with 12 left. Saying that fully expect a reaction from United this Saturday. 

Spot on though ( if ) we win on Saturday and United get beat by ICT I can't see us losing 4 games with 12 left. Saying that fully expect a reaction from United this Saturday. 

Csaba has been quite strong in his criticism (quite rightly so) in some of his post match interviews, and read that he kept them behind for an hour after game on sat.

I am hoping he has lost the some of the dressing room already and players aren’t wanting to play for him - that would be perfect for us! Caley will be a massive test for them, as you don’t get 3 points there without playing at 100%

Magennis was excellent when he moved inside on Friday - I can Flynn starting and magennis moving inside, and unfortunately that would mean McShane dropping out

15 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

We can easily lose 4 games. We've already lost to Morton, Utd, Dunfermline and Dumbarton so what's to stop us losing more? We could draw 6 games for the same net result.

Win on Saturday, then look to the next game...is my personal way of looking at it...

5 minutes ago, Soctty said:

We can easily lose 4 games. We've already lost to Morton, Utd, Dunfermline and Dumbarton so what's to stop us losing more? We could draw 6 games for the same net result.

Win on Saturday, then look to the next game...is my personal way of looking at it...

For me it's about players seeing the finishing line and what persoanl advantages winning the title will bring. Of course we will drop points so will other teams also our home record is impressive.

13 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Csaba has been quite strong in his criticism (quite rightly so) in some of his post match interviews, and read that he kept them behind for an hour after game on sat.

I am hoping he has lost the some of the dressing room already and players aren’t wanting to play for him - that would be perfect for us! Caley will be a massive test for them, as you don’t get 3 points there without playing at 100%

Magennis was excellent when he moved inside on Friday - I can Flynn starting and magennis moving inside, and unfortunately that would mean McShane dropping out

Magennis looks more natural in central midfield though McShane has been playing well Magennis is better central midfield. Would like to see Flynn start on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Div said:

You can get so accustomed to your team doing things the hard way you expect that's how it will continue to be but the dynamic in the St Mirren squad will be so different to opponents' that it could go either way. You could coast it and come up against more motivated teams but IMO the more likely scenario is you play with more confidence and are more relaxed and will churn out the wins to get it wrapped up early. 

15 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

For me it's about players seeing the finishing line and what persoanl advantages winning the title will bring. Of course we will drop points so will other teams also our home record is impressive.

Seeing the finishing line and having their eyes on the prize can ramp up the pressure, or lead to them getting complacent thinking they're already nearly there. Our home record is impressive, but we've lost at home to Dumbarton in the league and to Raith and Livingston in the cups, so we're not invincible, and need to keep our focus on each individual game. That's how I see it anyway...

3 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Seeing the finishing line and having their eyes on the prize can ramp up the pressure, or lead to them getting complacent thinking they're already nearly there. Our home record is impressive, but we've lost at home to Dumbarton in the league and to Raith and Livingston in the cups, so we're not invincible, and need to keep our focus on each individual game. That's how I see it anyway...

Agree with your last sentence here here :thumsup2

Jack Ross is meticulous in his preparations for games, so with that in mind I expect him to have the players fully focused on winning the next game. A well worn cliche that all managers use in football circles but it's the only way to keep players grounded and working hard.

Its definitely ours to throw away now so that in itself brings another kind of pressure. 

10 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Jack Ross is meticulous in his preparations for games, so with that in mind I expect him to have the players fully focused on winning the next game. A well worn cliche that all managers use in football circles but it's the only way to keep players grounded and working hard.

Its definitely ours to throw away now so that in itself brings another kind of pressure. 

Yeah I think that is the key here. I've every confidence in Jack and the players to see the job through. The only niggling doubts I have in my head are because of the damage that other St.Mirren teams have done to me in the past, it's nothing to do with this lot who have now performed consistently well for a full calendar year.

We will still drop points, but I do fully expect us to go on and win the league from this position.

2 hours ago, Div said:

Yeah I think that is the key here. I've every confidence in Jack and the players to see the job through. The only niggling doubts I have in my head are because of the damage that other St.Mirren teams have done to me in the past, it's nothing to do with this lot who have now performed consistently well for a full calendar year.

We will still drop points, but I do fully expect us to go on and win the league from this position.

The nucleus of last season's squad are still here and they proved from January onwards, that we had a squad capable of showing the correct mental strength and attitude required for the fight to survival. After a relatively poor pre season start we've come good with a few additions of quality to the squad, and again they have shown a mental and physical toughness mixed in with some good open and attacking football that's a pleasure to watch. It's good to be a buddie.