The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Can't believe we have managed to persuade Airdrie to take Hutton and Guffy off our wage bill in the last 12 months. Just how desperate are you guys?

The 11 point gap may be a bit deceiving just now as they have a game in hand and have us to play at home but even at that I never thought we could open up such a gap.

They'd have been as well giving Ellis the job permanent, they were brilliant against us last time at Tannadice.

14 hours ago, Silvio said:

Beginning of February 2017, 7 points adrift at the bottom of the league.

12 months on, 11 points clear at the top.

What a football club.

Jack Ross is the reason for that, tremendous manager.

Top of the league by 11 points

Most wins

Least defeats

Most goals

Second best defensive record

Beaten everyone bar Morton. Beaten everyone bar Morton and Falkirk at least twice.

Really enjoying the comments from other team's fans that we're not actually that good :)

Edited by Stu

15 hours ago, Silvio said:

Beginning of February 2017, 7 points adrift at the bottom of the league.

12 months on, 11 points clear at the top.

What a football club.

I am beginning to wonder if Ross hasn't got the best record of any of our managers.

I posted a few pages back the win ratio just now compared to our most "successful" season (67/68) with the current being 70% and the 67/68 season being 75%, but these are only season based statistics. If you were to calculate it over a calendar year (and it's Sunday morning so I can't be fucked doing it now) you might find he is the most successful manager we've ever had. (Maybe).

Edited by Buddist Monk

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

Most wins

Least defeats

Most goals

Beaten everyone bar Morton. Beaten everyone bar Morton and Falkirk at least twice.

Really enjoying the comments from other team's fans that we're not actually that good :)

In a strange way I enjoyed the comments a year ago more. We were written off completely. There is always  hope.

Just now, Buddist Monk said:

I am beginning to wonder if Ross hasn't got the best record of any of our managers.

I posted a few pages back the win ration just now compared to our most "successful" season (67/68) with the current being 70% and the 67/68 season being 75%, but these are only season based statistics. If you were to calculate it over a calendar year (and it's Sunday morning so I can't be fucked doing it now) you might find he is the most successful manager we've ever had. (Maybe).

I think you'll find that's Alex Rae.

© Alex Rae 

27 minutes ago, Stu said:

Most wins

Least defeats

Most goals

It's particularly sweet. Several of us were told to get back in our box for suggesting that we'd be title challengers. Surviving relegation on goal difference with the form we were in does not mean we'd be up in a title challenge next season. 

We were then told that our signings were significant downgrades to the side from last season and that would be our undoing...  that Loy being replaced by Reilly and OBrien being replaced by Samson in particular were terrible replacements. 

Yet here we are, with the same majority of squad from the end of last season being proven correct in our optimism. 

No chickens counted until we're over the line but several of us knew we wouldn't be in the pack this season and instead we'd be one of the two or three to beat. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Just now, Silvio said:

I think you'll find that's Alex Rae.

© Alex Rae 

No, true, I mean at the time I thought that he was just a bit shit when in fact listening to how he explains it (repeatedly) on Sportsound, or whatever BBC gig he's contractually obliged to state his pish on, it turns out it wasn't his fault at all. In fact it seems that he was the catalyst for Ross' success.

An unsung hero that really deserves to be given huge credit for our current form.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

It's particularly sweet. Several of us were told to get back in or box for suggesting that we'd be title challengers. Surviving relegation on goal difference with the form we were in does not mean we'd be up in a title challenge next season. 

We were then told that our signings were significant downgrades to the side from last season and that would be our undoing...  that Loy being replaced by Reilly and OBrien being replaced by Samson were terrible replacements. 

Yet here we are, with the same majority of squad from the end of last season being proven correct in our optimism. 

No chickens counted until we're over the line but several of us knew we wouldn't be in the pack this season and instead we'd be one of the two or three to beat. 

I thought United would kick on and we'd be best of the rest. We've actually been relentless. Tone was set in the first couple of home games and we've not looked back.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Several of us were told to get back in or box for suggesting that we'd be title challengers.

I thought we might make a dent on the eventual winners but even 3 or 4 weeks into the season it certainly didn't look like we would be in this position. I fully understand why people were sceptical, I was too.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

For all of Alex Rae's arseholery, he was hugely complimentary to the side and Jack Ross on Friday night. 

He has dug himself many a hole previously. I mean it's not that as an ex-manager he wasn't going to be asked about our current success, but surely he'd learn to take it with good grace (or simply sidestep the question) but no... his ego gets in the way and he sounds like man who's just had his cornflakes shat on.

Just now, Buddist Monk said:

I thought we might make a dent on the eventual winners but even 3 or 4 weeks into the season it certainly didn't look like we would be in this position. I fully understand why people were sceptical, I was too.

I never in a million years thought we'd be in this position of strength but even from week one I saw enough to know were going to be there or thereabouts. I said from the start that the league title fight would be cutthroat with Utd, ourselves and Falkirk (lol) sweating it out and being on edge week in week out.