The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

11 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

you’re conflating two games years apart! 😜

You’re thinking of the opening day of season 92/93 when we lost 7-0 at Raith. They then went on to win the league. 

We drew 1-1 at home to Ayr on opening day of 99/00 and then beat  Raith 6-0 away. We won the league that season.

Ah, yes, so I am.

You can understand, anyone watching that game can, why I am still traumatised by that Raith spanking.

As I say, possibly our worst opening day result? Got to be in the running...

Just now, Ric said:

Ah, yes, so I am.

You can understand, anyone watching that game can, why I am still traumatised by that Raith spanking.

As I say, possibly our worst opening day result? Got to be in the running...

Got to be the worst ever start

I remember going to that game thinking the First Division was going to be easy……

Took us 8 years to get out of it! 

4 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I remember going to that game thinking the First Division was going to be easy……

:lol:

Totally!

We had been papped out the league the season before and there was no way we were not going to just bounce back right? ...right? 🤦‍♂️

(Edit: just checked, we were relegated along with Dunfermline while clubs like Falkirk and Aidrie were flying high!)

Here is how that previous season ended, what are the odds we ever get the same teams in the same positions? Got to be very low.

xVbr9GA.png

Edited by Ric

10 hours ago, codfish said:

He played 90 mins tonight, would be a shame if he was ineligible.

He's was as good as ineligible then.

Excellent news!

Must've been the Dutch forward that was ineligible.

An easy mistake to make.:whistle

9 hours ago, weebud said:

I can just feel the positivity seeping out of your every pore…..out of curiosity what are your feelings on this year’s, not off the rack Adidas kits?. 

There is a wee bit of you that wants to sample the brighter side of  life, just let it breathe Buddie.

Kits are brilliant really good and being a realist isn’t a bad thing mate. Thanks 

Just now, Norrie82 said:

Kits are brilliant really good and being a realist isn’t a bad thing mate. Thanks 

There's being a realist and then there's being overly negative.

I'm a pessimist by nature, but some St.Mirren fans make me look like the ultimate optimist!

9 hours ago, Div said:

Bolton would never have started on Sunday and there’s no chance Dunne will either.

We will go with Fraser, Gogic and Taylor with Kenny providing cover on the bench IMO.

Strain and Tanser in their usual slots, although Boyle against Scotty does terrify me a wee bit.

Baccus, O’Hara and either CBM or Kiltie will sit in the middle behind a front two of Mandron and Toyosi.

We will cause Hibs problems, but we need to find a way to stop Boyle.

My point is that the central defence looks weaker - I hope I’m wrong but are we suggesting Taylor and Gogic and Fraser will be good enough. Time will tell I guess but I think the loss of an experienced back line including Trevor is a slight worry 

Just now, FTOF said:

There's being a realist and then there's being overly negative.

I'm a pessimist by nature, but some St.Mirren fans make me look like the ultimate optimist!

I’m not overly negative we have some good players but I’m simply saying that my concern is regarding our defence. I am worried about the loss of some experienced players. I hope this is unfounded and we are fine . 

23 minutes ago, Ric said:

Totally!

We had been papped out the league the season before and there was no way we were not going to just bounce back right? ...right? 🤦‍♂️

(Edit: just checked, we were relegated along with Dunfermline while clubs like Falkirk and Aidrie were flying high!)

Here is how that previous season ended, what are the odds we ever get the same teams in the same positions? Got to be very low.

xVbr9GA.png

For me this league table is a reminder of how average players like Torfasson and Stickroth were . 

27 minutes ago, Ric said:

Totally!

xVbr9GA.png

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

When Boyle comes on, cue @Ric with his "f*ck*ng boo".

If publicly shaming someone had any effect I would, sadly the right wing fuckwits of the world seem to take shame as a badge of pride (not literally of course, that sort of thing will get you hanged in Saudi).

Robinson told PA Sport: "In an ideal world we would like to strengthen in two areas of the pitch."

Considering an ideal world is probably not the one we'll find ourselves in, this is a pretty clear hint that the LB(LWB) and an ill fated striker will be the remaining additions. Puts a bit of a kibosh on the idea of an experienced keeper coming in now Carson's wages have been freed up.

1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:

My point is that the central defence looks weaker - I hope I’m wrong but are we suggesting Taylor and Gogic and Fraser will be good enough. Time will tell I guess but I think the loss of an experienced back line including Trevor is a slight worry 

Fraser played there all of last season and is usually no worse than a 7 out of 10 for me.

I think a lot of our fans under-rate Taylor and I'm not sure why. He's a better defender than Charles Dunne IMO.

I do prefer Gogic in the middle of the park to be honest but he plays international football at CH so I've no qualms about him being in there on Sunday.

I think our big problem on Sunday is Tanser vs Boyle. I like what Scotty brings to the team in an attacking sense but I think defensively he can be exposed, and to be fair to him Boyle has ripped apart better left backs than him.

Have to hope he's not quite firing on all cylinders yet as I do think that is an area where Hibs can really hurt us.

5 minutes ago, Div said:

Fraser played there all of last season and is usually no worse than a 7 out of 10 for me.

I think a lot of our fans under-rate Taylor and I'm not sure why. He's a better defender than Charles Dunne IMO.

I do prefer Gogic in the middle of the park to be honest but he plays international football at CH so I've no qualms about him being in there on Sunday.

I think our big problem on Sunday is Tanser vs Boyle. I like what Scotty brings to the team in an attacking sense but I think defensively he can be exposed, and to be fair to him Boyle has ripped apart better left backs than him.

Have to hope he's not quite firing on all cylinders yet as I do think that is an area where Hibs can really hurt us.

I’m not convinced Boyle will start. A big ask when he has been out for so long to start 3 games in a week and I think they will prioritise the Euro game next Thursday. Think he will come off the bench on Sunday. 

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

Robinson told PA Sport: "In an ideal world we would like to strengthen in two areas of the pitch."

Considering an ideal world is probably not the one we'll find ourselves in, this is a pretty clear hint that the LB(LWB) and an ill fated striker will be the remaining additions. Puts a bit of a kibosh on the idea of an experienced keeper coming in now Carson's wages have been freed up.

So we have let Shaunessy , Tait , Main , Brophy , Gallagher , Carson , Small and Henderson go and have Gilmartin , Offord and Taylor out on loan . And have brought in Hemmings , Bolton , Nahdami , McMenamin , Mandron ( have I forgot someone ) in , and are about £100k up on transfer dealings . I'm thinking we could be seeing at least 4 new signings .