The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

I meant Nathan Flanagan emoji23.png

He signed for us this morning.

Other than a couple of late appearances from the bench he didn't play for us.

Probably better asking East Fife and Annan fans, as he was on loan to them for a considerable amount of time.

6 minutes ago, elvis said:

Do we have any strikers 

Armstrong (if he signs tomorrow), Cooke, Mullen.

Guess Ross Stewart is still here.

Hippolyte and Cammy Smith are forwards but not really strikers.

I expect Ross Stewart and possibly Hippolyte to move on at some point and one other forward to come in.

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Armstrong (if he signs tomorrow), Cooke, Mullen.

Guess Ross Stewart is still here.

Hippolyte and Cammy Smith are forwards but not really strikers.

I expect Ross Stewart and possibly Hippolyte to move on at some point and one other forward to come in.

Is that a guess on Stewart and Hippolyte ?  Stewart for me would be better kept and put out on loan Hyppo could be good for us . Ross was loyal to the team running àway with the league stopping Hippo getting any real game time there is a good player in there. 

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

Is that a guess on Stewart and Hippolyte ?  Stewart for me would be better kept and put out on loan Hyppo could be good for us . Ross was loyal to the team running àway with the league stopping Hippo getting any real game time there is a good player in there. 

Pretty much a guess. I'd say both could go out on loan. 

Just a feeling. 

There is definitely a player in Stewart, whether we get to see that player in a Saints strip is really up to Stubbs.

Not that I'm saying we should start with him, not at all, I'd expect us to start with Mullen up front. Unless he's one of the ones Stubbs is looking to move on.

Been trying to work out what kind of formation we might play on Friday

Stubbs has previously used both 3-5-2 and 4-4-2 formations with Hibs, would like to see us try a 4-4-2, but not sure we've got the personnel...

Had a look on the Hibs forum at a "Alan Stubbs tactics" thread, main criticism seemed to be not changing things quickly enough during a game. He sounds a bit similar to JR in that respect! Obviously has faith in his style, which isn't always a bad thing 

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?301064-Alan-Stubbs-Tactics&s=ede649db387088edaf2630d236112d69 

The 3-5-2 could be decent.

Samson

Heaton - Baird - MacKenzie

P. McGinn - Magennis - S. McGinn - Flynn - Coulson

Smith - Mullen

Not a team to set the heather on fire but would leave us with a few options on the bench (King, Cooke, Hippo etc)

Decent. Is Gary Mac still available for selection? Guess it's a shop window, live on BT Sport, no other games on etc
Have a feeling we'll be playing Cody Cooke rather than Mullen 

I’d imagine he still is. If he wants to play 3 at the back, he has to play Gary as we only have 3 centre backs. Guess we’ll see tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, ulysses said:

The 3-5-2 could be decent.

Samson

Heaton - Baird - MacKenzie

P. McGinn - Magennis - S. McGinn - Flynn - Coulson

Smith - Mullen

Not a team to set the heather on fire but would leave us with a few options on the bench (King, Cooke, Hippo etc)

Samson won’t start and I will be surprised if Baird or McKenzie start either, Kpekawa will play centre half for us when his international clearance comes through.

Samson won’t start and I will be surprised if Baird or McKenzie start either, Kpekawa will play centre half for us when his international clearance comes through.

Yeah was just going by what we had at the moment. Will take your word on Sammy, could rotate the goalies through the Betfred games?