The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

31 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

You genuinely don’t see any concern at all in St Mirren drawing with an amateur side? 

How much time should he be given? He hasn’t got the best track record at other clubs and has told three important players in our title winning team they’re free to leave. Most of his new signings are already looking, cause for concern. 

If we’re sitting in a similar position to Rotherham in a few months time, do we still keep him and hope he turns it around? 

Right now it’s all ifs and buts but fans have every right to be concerned with the way we’ve approached our last two games. 

I'm as concerned as I was when we lost 5-0 at Firhill last season - not very. I still regards it as preseason.

I'm not thinking about how much time he should be given, mainly because I'm not pishing my knickers after three preseason kickabouts.

Three of his signings have played about 60 minutes each before being written off completely - what happened to giving players a chance? Same as giving the manager a chance it seems...

How Rotherham have done at any point in their history is of absolutely no interest to me.

23 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I'm as concerned as I was when we lost 5-0 at Firhill last season - not very. I still regards it as preseason.

I'm not thinking about how much time he should be given, mainly because I'm not pishing my knickers after three preseason kickabouts.

Three of his signings have played about 60 minutes each before being written off completely - what happened to giving players a chance? Same as giving the manager a chance it seems...

How Rotherham have done at any point in their history is of absolutely no interest to me.

Yep I was concerned at that as well. Doing it one season though doesn't mean we'll do it the next unfortunately. 

The knicker wetter comments have always been an embarrassment to our fan base. Fans showing concerns and speculating if poor form continues, what will happen, are automatically labelled 'knicker wetter’s' it's laughable. 

I haven't and haven't seen anyone who has 'written off completely' some of his signings. Cause for concern about their performance so far is perfectly fine. This is a fan forum, it would be very quiet if people weren't allowed to give opinion or comment on poor player performance. 

You have no concern about our managers past experience? Glad you weren't involved in the recruitment process, would of probably been a 'rock, paper, scissors' tournament  :lol:

35 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

Yep I was concerned at that as well. Doing it one season though doesn't mean we'll do it the next unfortunately. 

The knicker wetter comments have always been an embarrassment to our fan base. Fans showing concerns and speculating if poor form continues, what will happen, are automatically labelled 'knicker wetter’s' it's laughable. 

I haven't and haven't seen anyone who has 'written off completely' some of his signings. Cause for concern about their performance so far is perfectly fine. This is a fan forum, it would be very quiet if people weren't allowed to give opinion or comment on poor player performance. 

You have no concern about our managers past experience? Glad you weren't involved in the recruitment process, would of probably been a 'rock, paper, scissors' tournament  :lol:

Knicker wetter comments have indeed been an embarrassment - so stop making them... 

I've shown concerns, but I haven't started knickerwetting, the way you have.

You haven't looked very far have you? I've seen many writing them off as pish, linking them with Tommy Craig in some bonkers way. As I've said, three of them have played around 60 minutes in total for the club - no official preseason friendlies, just 60 minutes of action while some way from full fitness or match sharp.

This is a fans forum indeed - I assume I'm allowed to pass comment on your opinion? Or  is that a step too far...

I have no concern about the goings on at a completely different football club, with different players, different circumstances. 

Are you concerned that Stubbs might win us the Scottish Cup? Or is it just negatives that are allowed to be considered here...?

33 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Knicker wetter comments have indeed been an embarrassment - so stop making them... 

I've shown concerns, but I haven't started knickerwetting, the way you have.

You haven't looked very far have you? I've seen many writing them off as pish, linking them with Tommy Craig in some bonkers way. As I've said, three of them have played around 60 minutes in total for the club - no official preseason friendlies, just 60 minutes of action while some way from full fitness or match sharp.

This is a fans forum indeed - I assume I'm allowed to pass comment on your opinion? Or  is that a step too far...

I have no concern about the goings on at a completely different football club, with different players, different circumstances. 

Are you concerned that Stubbs might win us the Scottish Cup? Or is it just negatives that are allowed to be considered here...?

I've only shown concern as well so not sure where you're getting the 'knicker wetter' stuff from. Again fans jumping to that expression when people show concern embarrasses our fan base. 

TC brought in duds, are you saying in the three games we've played there are no similarities? I've not seen a single fan say 'these players are guaranteed not good enough' I see the issue here now though, if people don't follow your exact definition of concern then they're 'knicker wetter’s cool... 

Course you can, your opinion seems to be, that I think the world is going to implode because I've shown concern, is a bit of a stretch though most people would say. Again it goes back to the 'knicker wetter' embarrassment. 

Nor do I, I have concerns that AS will repeat the same mistakes and history will repeat itself. They are concerns based on three matches, I'm not saying it’ll 100% happen. 

I'm concerned that he took Hibs backwards in the Championship in two seasons and lost his last job after a few months. I would be delighted if he won us a cup. Can you see how they're not mutually exclusive? 

So let's look at where we are just now.

Long version:

Spoiler

I'd expect Stubbs to go with a 433 formation, as it is we have players who can fit that but it leaves us very little wiggle room - it also leaves players like Smith playing out of position and begs the question why get rid of certain players like Hippolyte when they'll fit that formation.

A midfield trio of (S) McGinn, Magennis and Flynn seem the most likely, with a forward line of Mullen at the head with Smith and King on either wing. This leaves the defence which you would suggest a back four, right to left, of (P) McGinn, Baird, Kpekawa and Coulson.

In terms of cover we still have MacKenzie, McShane and Eckersley at the club even though they are on the fringes. Kellerman, Cooke and Heaton from the new lads, Stewart coming back from loan, Kirkpatrick is injured and out for what looks like 3 months. Macpherson seems to have stepped up.

That's not a terrible team, it's not a relegation avoiding team either mind, but if we had that squad going into a Championship battle I'd fancy us making a decent fist of it.

We obviously need players in, and most notably up front as you feel Mullen won't get the service he needs in a 433. I still think Stewart could turn into a decent player but it's not going to be any time soon. Smith looks a little lost on the wing but if given the freedom to cut in I feel he and King, who I think has something to him, could profit. It relies on them both willing to come back and make it a 5 midfield when in trouble.

Looking back at the games we've played; Killie, Spartans, Sunderland, of those it's only really Spartans that worries me. These guys should have more than enough in their locker to put them away but didn't. Sunderland was a bit of an oddity because of the trialists and number of subs but the scoreline was concerning. Killie however we put up a fairly decent show albeit against an equally out of shape Killie.

TL;DR?

In short we sort of have the makings of a team that should be capable of competing, but we need more bodies (and quality bodies) in order to make a real stab at avoiding the relegation dogfight. What worries me more is not the team as such, but the lack of impetus. You can argue all you like about pre-season, but the bottom line is the players should have had more than enough to dispatch Spartans and when it looked like they were toiling it didn't seem like Stubbs managed to get more out of the players on the park - instead it needed a change of personnel.

19 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

I've only shown concern as well so not sure where you're getting the 'knicker wetter' stuff from. Again fans jumping to that expression when people show concern embarrasses our fan base. 

TC brought in duds, are you saying in the three games we've played there are no similarities? I've not seen a single fan say 'these players are guaranteed not good enough' I see the issue here now though, if people don't follow your exact definition of concern then they're 'knicker wetter’s cool... 

Course you can, your opinion seems to be, that I think the world is going to implode because I've shown concern, is a bit of a stretch though most people would say. Again it goes back to the 'knicker wetter' embarrassment. 

Nor do I, I have concerns that AS will repeat the same mistakes and history will repeat itself. They are concerns based on three matches, I'm not saying it’ll 100% happen. 

I'm concerned that he took Hibs backwards in the Championship in two seasons and lost his last job after a few months. I would be delighted if he won us a cup. Can you see how they're not mutually exclusive? 

TC brought in duds - so far Heaton, Kellermann and Cooke have played no more than 90 minutes, while Coulson and Kpekawa have shown some promise. Maybe give them more than that to settle and impress?

Seems you're now knickerwetting about my opinion. Cool...

So Stubbs will repeat the mistakes from Rotherham? Or the ones that won him a Scottish Cup with Hibs? He took Hibs backwards in two seasons? Reached two major finals in his last year in charge, winning one of them, reached the Scottish Cup semi final in his first year in charge. Can he take us backwards like that? 

Your mutually exclusive comment makes absolutely no sense, surprisingly. Unless you think Stubbs is going to be sacked in 4 months *and* win us the Scottish Cup...

6 minutes ago, Soctty said:

TC brought in duds - so far Heaton, Kellermann and Cooke have played no more than 90 minutes, while Coulson and Kpekawa have shown some promise. Maybe give them more than that to settle and impress?

Seems you're now knickerwetting about my opinion. Cool...

So Stubbs will repeat the mistakes from Rotherham? Or the ones that won him a Scottish Cup with Hibs? He took Hibs backwards in two seasons? Reached two major finals in his last year in charge, winning one of them, reached the Scottish Cup semi final in his first year in charge. Can he take us backwards like that? 

Your mutually exclusive comment makes absolutely no sense, surprisingly. Unless you think Stubbs is going to be sacked in 4 months *and* win us the Scottish Cup...

Again I'm not sure what you aren't getting by it being my opinion so far. Am I allowed to be concerned about the quality of the trialists he's already said aren't being taken further either?

More confused by it than anything else

Backwards in the league in two seasons and an absolute car crash at Rotherham. I also never said he 'will' it's simply my concern based on what we've seen so far. No one is questioning what he did in the cups. 

Stubbs having decent cup runs and taking Hibs backwards in the league over two seasons is not mutually exclusive, they both happened. Yet again, I'm not saying these things will happen to us. 

I reckon a large percentage of our fans will be concerned with Stubbs recruitment up until now. 

He will of course be given time to sign at least 4 players with sufficient experience that will enable us to compete at this level.

If he doesn’t get the necessary players on board, and we end up rooted to the bottom of the league then that’s a different matter. 

Just now, glenburn bud said:

I reckon a large percentage of our fans will be concerned with Stubbs recruitment up until now. 

He will of course be given time to sign at least 4 players with sufficient experience that will enable us to compete at this level.

If he doesn’t get the necessary players on board, and we end up rooted to the bottom of the league then that’s a different matter. 

To me it looks like the same old story who Stubbs wants in reality is out with our budget. A fan asked Stubbs if we could reach to six. The answer was ask Tony to give me a budget.  Looks as though the glove does not fit the hand. Surly the budget must have been talked about at the interview and begs the question why did we spend £75, 000 on a transfer fee. 

1 minute ago, Demented Zebra said:

To me it looks like the same old story who Stubbs wants in reality is out with our budget. A fan asked Stubbs if we could reach to six. The answer was ask Tony to give me a budget.  Looks as though the glove does not fit the hand. Surly the budget must have been talked about at the interview and begs the question why did we spend £75, 000 on a transfer fee. 

With the budget now emerging as a real concern, Robbie Neilson is probably quite happy with is own judgement at this point...

for what its worth, we have made 3 signings from non league in england and despite the shocking team performance yesterday im really excited about 2 of them. maybe some of your signings will come good once they get properly bedded in

Stubbs has done a terry butcher by telling too many players too soon that they are free to find new clubs.

I don’t think we have a great budget either, the main reason Neilsen pulled out the running.

4 minutes ago, McG said:

Stubbs has done a terry butcher by telling too many players too soon that they are free to find new clubs.

I don’t think we have a great budget either, the main reason Neilsen pulled out the running.

I'm not overly concerned about any of the players that were told to find a new club. The thing that does concern me is , the players Stubbs has signed don't seem to be much of an improvement, although it is very early days. 

At least 6 quality signings are still required before the window shuts, and preferably 2 or 3 in before the Dundee game.

54 minutes ago, ah-dee said:

for what its worth, we have made 3 signings from non league in england and despite the shocking team performance yesterday im really excited about 2 of them. maybe some of your signings will come good once they get properly bedded in

I actually didn't think you were that bad yesterday. Mendy missed a few chances but he looked lively and was getting into decent positions. The League Cup is ripe for 'shocks', I wouldn't be overly concerned if I was a Dundee fan after that, tbh.