The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

70k for Heaton.

I understand it was 50 k we payed for Heaton, that being said it won’t stop him being part of the fire sale. Apparently Stubbs didn’t even see Heaton or Cooke play in a trial match at the Jamie Vardy  academy. He signed them on a recommendation of recently sacked head scout Martin Christie.

Someone at the club needs to be accountable for sanctioning the Heaton deal. It's all very well backing your manager in the transfer market and letting him build his squad, it's quite another letting him spend the most you've spent in a quarter of a century on a guy who hasn't played higher than the fifth or sixth tier of English football. utter madness letting that happen, especially with a manager just in the door. It would have been slightly more acceptable had it been Ross, who had at least shown he could spot and develop a player.

Fingers crossed he still ends up doing a job for us but wouldn't be surprised if he's binned in January.

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I understand it was 50 k we payed for Heaton, that being said it won’t stop him being part of the fire sale. Apparently Stubbs didn’t even see Heaton or Cooke play in a trial match at the Jamie Vardy  academy. He signed them on a recommendation of recently sacked head scout Martin Christie.

The figure widely reported in the media was £75k. Heaton has been highly rated so I would hope we hold onto him and give him a chance to develop. No sense in writing off £75k so quickly, and he surely won't be on a huge salary.

Noticed he’s been on bench a couple of times, maybe letting him get back / reach fitness required before throwing him in at deep end. I’m sure at least 2/3 of Stubbs signings are actually decent players but with having been thrown in at deep end their confidence has been absolutely ruined which is a tough place to recover from

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

It was widely reported to be 75K but until the accounts are published we won't know for sure.

So, you understand from where?

I know someone from within the club. They’ve been told it was 50 k  but as you say it will all be disclosed in the accounts.

10 hours ago, Silvio said:

I've heard we are going to try and make it work with Heaton due to the transfer fee, but Cooke and King will be away shortly.

Pretty sure this is true, saw Heaton at mini kickers last night, Cooke and King weren't there.

Like every player at St Mirren I hope they do well. Heaton has only played one first team game against the part-time amateurs of Queens Park - maybe equivalent from the level of football he came from - and he was abysmal. You cannot use lack of fitness in that game as the opposition should be a lot less fit than us. And even Ferdinand showed skill even if he wasn't fit in his starting 60 mins for the Club. Heaton lacked so many basic skills in that game. Maybe it was just a bad day and I hope it was. However I fail to see the confidence others have that he will come good. Hope I am mistaken.

47 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I think he's a really good appointment but the bilge he was left is next level stuff.
His job until January is to merely stay in touch with Alloa. Fter that it's mass trebuchet firings into the Forth. He's already launched four duds.

I'm not sure if there's any precedent for a team being adrift at the foot of the Championship at Christmas, ripping up the squad in January and still surviving :whistle

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Like every player at St Mirren I hope they do well. Heaton has only played one first team game against the part-time amateurs of Queens Park - maybe equivalent from the level of football he came from - and he was abysmal. You cannot use lack of fitness in that game as the opposition should be a lot less fit than us. And even Ferdinand showed skill even if he wasn't fit in his starting 60 mins for the Club. Heaton lacked so many basic skills in that game. Maybe it was just a bad day and I hope it was. However I fail to see the confidence others have that he will come good. Hope I am mistaken.

All the defence looked massively uncomfortable that day. If I open up the memories we used a woeful 3-5-2. Heaton was nervous and rubbish, Baird too looked awful and Kpekawa was the most uncomfortable man alive when he got dragged wide. 

It would be interesting to see Heaton put in a pairing. I don't think he is a bad player, but not sure he is Premiership quality. The fact we paid a fee (not his fault) lumps more pressure on him. Indeed have we ever paid a good fee? 

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

I haven't seen many post confidence that Heaton will come good. Lots of hope that he will, and fans willing to give him time. That Queens Park game that he was "abysmal" in. how many goals did we concede?

Just to clarify, Heaton also played 90 minutes against Spartans as well, and looked well off the pace - that being his first game - and slightly overawed at times. It was an under par performance in line with the team performance of that night. You might have called him abysmal in that one as well - we all have different ways of gauging performance.

41 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

The fact we paid a fee (not his fault) lumps more pressure on him. Indeed have we ever paid a good fee? 

£50k for Mark Yardley was an exceptional piece of business but probably the only one. 

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

I haven't seen many post confidence that Heaton will come good. Lots of hope that he will, and fans willing to give him time. That Queens Park game that he was "abysmal" in. how many goals did we concede?

Just to clarify, Heaton also played 90 minutes against Spartans as well, and looked well off the pace - that being his first game - and slightly overawed at times. It was an under par performance in line with the team performance of that night. You might have called him abysmal in that one as well - we all have different ways of gauging performance.

You are right - he was abysmal against non League Spartans as well in a defence conceding two goals to them.  I am not hanging the guy out to dry. Some fans believe he will come good and I just do not see the evidence for it but hope I am wrong. We need players who can contribute now and if Heaton was poor against two non professional teams what chance does he have against Premier League opposition? Even Kpakawa was getting a game before him. £70k is a lot of money for us to spend on someone who isn't ready for first team football. But he has a 3 year deal so we can only hope there is a quick and massive improvement. For me he has to be loaned out asap.

The other thing to bear in mind is that other clubs have made a success of this 'speculate to accumulate' model. We often moan about the way others manage to bring in big fees - sometimes for players who've barely kicked a ball for the first team. Closest equivalent that we've managed was maybe Kyle McAllister two years ago, though he did manage a fair few appearances before he went.

Maybe we should just chill out and have a bit of patience, and see if the kid turns into  player. Obviously, two things stand against him: 1) we're not the sort of club that can carry anyone, at any level. 2) The rest of Stubbs' signings don't indicate he could spot a player.

But still, given that we've paid the fee now, we might as well just bide our time and see if he comes good.