The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

It's definitely not Erhahon.

Slightly out of focus but he bears a bit of a resemblance to Devante Cole who was at Motherwell last season. I think Doncaster released him in the summer after he signed for them in January.

Edited by djchapsticks

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It's definitely not Erhahon.

Slightly out of focus but he bears a bit of a resemblance to Devante Cole who was at Motherwell last season. I think Doncaster released him in the summer after he signed for them in January.

Most Motherwell fans seemed to think that he was quite decent.

Would be O.K with him signing.

17 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I won't lie: I utterly fucking LOVE the whole 'spot the unknown player' from the pre-season training session pics. It's a magic time of the year, and I'm not even being sarcastic.

You do until you realise the guys on trial are almost always guys with the ability of Cole Kpekawa, Callum Ball or Louis Longridge. :lol:

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

You do until you realise the guys on trial are almost always guys with the ability of Cole Kpekawa, Callum Ball or Louis Longridge. :lol:

Maybe he's not on trial and he's just waiting on admin stuff to be processed before signing.:whistle

If we get three more players in as mentioned that will take us up to a squad of 19, not including youngsters like Jamieson, Jack, Urminsky etc. It has to be a striker, a fullback and a centre half. If we then find ourselves in a position to sign anyone else we could probably do with a bit more creativity in midfield as we're arguably a bit short there (and McAllister will probably be injured a lot). That's a luxury rather than a necessity though.

That size of squad suggests the youngsters that have been promoted will get the chance to make the breakthrough. Aside from MacPherson, who'd already made a decent number of appearances in 2018/19, none of them got much game time last season.

33 minutes ago, Stu said:

If we get three more players in as mentioned that will take us up to a squad of 19, not including youngsters like Jamieson, Jack, Urminsky etc. It has to be a striker, a fullback and a centre half. If we then find ourselves in a position to sign anyone else we could probably do with a bit more creativity in midfield as we're arguably a bit short there (and McAllister will probably be injured a lot). That's a luxury rather than a necessity though.

That size of squad suggests the youngsters that have been promoted will get the chance to make the breakthrough. Aside from MacPherson, who'd already made a decent number of appearances in 2018/19, none of them got much game time last season.

I think that's true, but I also think the youngsters could potentially go out on loan if we manage to find more experience in those areas/have the budget for it. Ie they're providing squad cover in case nothing comes off beyond the main target areas. It's a sensible approach. 

I suppose the one "positive" thing about having a smaller squad is that other teams are in the same position as we are. It's not like we are losing ground, more that the whole league is downsizing.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

I suppose the one "positive" thing about having a smaller squad is that other teams are in the same position as we are. It's not like we are losing ground, more that the whole league is downsizing.

If you have a look at the Livingston thread, they've got 29 players already in their squad and few of them, if any, seem to be youth squad graduates.

13 minutes ago, FTOF said:

If you have a look at the Livingston thread, they've got 29 players already in their squad and few of them, if any, seem to be youth squad graduates.

I've not followed other teams that closely, but I'm surprised Livi are at that level.