The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

20 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

They won't be reliant on gate money, and will have hit the jackpot in prize money this season.

They've had a couple of great seasons. It's utterly frustrating seeing teams like Livi and the farmers punching above their weight while we meander around the relegation slots. I mean fair play to them, but it would be nice to see us properly "kick on" because we have the club structure to do that.

22 minutes ago, Ric said:

They've had a couple of great seasons. It's utterly frustrating seeing teams like Livi and the farmers punching above their weight while we meander around the relegation slots. I mean fair play to them, but it would be nice to see us properly "kick on" because we have the club structure to do that.

I agree. I take my hat off to Livingston they've been excellent since coming up. I really thought they would struggle last year after losing a few important players. 

I'm under no illusions that we should be regularly pushing for top 6 or anything, but it would be nice to see a season now and again where we're an arms length from relegation. In recent times we've seen Ross County, Falkirk, ICT, Livingston all finish in the top 6 at some point. 

I suppose we can't complain of boring seasons as a Saints fan! 

35 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I agree. I take my hat off to Livingston they've been excellent since coming up. I really thought they would struggle last year after losing a few important players. 

I'm under no illusions that we should be regularly pushing for top 6 or anything, but it would be nice to see a season now and again where we're an arms length from relegation. In recent times we've seen Ross County, Falkirk, ICT, Livingston all finish in the top 6 at some point. 

I suppose we can't complain of boring seasons as a Saints fan! 

Stabilisation of a manager is paramount if we are to progress you cant move forward as a club if you keep changing the manager each of whom will have diffrent ideas on the squad and at training. Jim Goodwin is the right man for us it takes time though. Our income has been reduced drastically, so far we have shifted almost 2,500 season tickets. Hopefully that will grow a bit more- the squad will reflect our drop in earnings .  Was it around  4,000 season tickets 2919/2020 ? The real danger for Scottish football is a second wave of covid19 in the winter I'm sure that would destroy a lot of the lower league clubs. 

30 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Stabilisation of a manager is paramount if we are to progress you cant move forward as a club if you keep changing the manager each of whom will have diffrent ideas on the squad and at training. Jim Goodwin is the right man for us it takes time though. Our income has been reduced drastically, so far we have shifted almost 2,500 season tickets. Hopefully that will grow a bit more- the squad will reflect our drop in earnings .  Was it around  4,000 season tickets 2919/2020 ? The real danger for Scottish football is a second wave of covid19 in the winter I'm sure that would destroy a lot of the lower league clubs. 

Seems unlikely we had 4,000 season tickets last season- we were getting 4,200-4,500 fans for games in total including away supports. Would suspect we had around 3,000-3,500. 

46 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Seems unlikely we had 4,000 season tickets last season- we were getting 4,200-4,500 fans for games in total including away supports. Would suspect we had around 3,000-3,500. 

Think we just broke 3k last season.

Great show by Saints fans then if we are around 2,500 at the moment.  Edit Hibs v Saints given to green light for Saturday.  Wonder if buddie vision will have highlights on Sunday, probably not. 

Edited by ZingaliMan

Literally just bought my season ticket there. Used to work weekends so couldn't commit. Have a bit of security re: my job for the forseeable and now in a Mon-Fri role so pleased to finally get one!

2 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Closed door friendly on Saturday between us and Saints for the inaugural Jonathan Obika trophy given the go ahead. 

Could you imagine if the fans were allowed into this? What a day that would have been! :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Closed door friendly on Saturday between us and Saints for the inaugural Jonathan Obika trophy given the go ahead. 

Hope the Hibees form a guard of honour for the big man. 

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Could you imagine if the fans were allowed into this? What a day that would have been! :lol: 

There's a cycling path around the training centre where fans could stand and watch from a safe distance. 

Open top bus circuit around the Gorgie shithole before the game, with Jon up top singing Status Quo's "Deeper and down".

I'm sure there's an unused open top bus from 2013 sitting in a garage somewhere.:)

38 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

There's a cycling path around the training centre where fans could stand and watch from a safe distance. 

Is it safe from the Hearts Headhunters?

Ach we only have ourselves to blame for our first season back up. Fair enough I'd have loved to have seen what Jack Ross could have achieved with us but he got a very good offer. After that it was all a shambles, all the good work we had done as a club was thrown out the window with one piss poor appointment.

Wonder where we could have finished last season.

Feels as if we are back to square one a bit but most teams are in the same boat. Whoever has the worst luck with injuries will find it very tough this season.

I know we need a centre half but got to imagine that left back is one of the targeted positions. I know Tait can play there but you'd imagine he'll be RB. Would rather see Ethan getting a run out at CM as that's his natural position.