The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, Munoz said:

You'd imagine it will be another striker and centre back that are priority.

Another attacker, centre back and full back for me, and probably all ‘left sided’.

I know Tait has mentioned playing across the back four, but predominantly played on the left for Motherwell. Was that out of necessity or is that his favoured position?

4 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Another attacker, centre back and full back for me, and probably all ‘left sided’.

I know Tait has mentioned playing across the back four, but predominantly played on the left for Motherwell. Was that out of necessity or is that his favoured position?

Think you're almost on the nose there apart from we'll sign another centre forward.

If we sign another centre half, we'd have McCarthy, Baird and AN other to play at centre back and Sheron, Tait and Foley who could feasibly step in there in an emergency.

We lost 4 out of our back five in June so they all have to be replaced plus Goody wanted a sitting midfielder. That leaves one position and considering we lost 3 out of 4 strikers, the last spot has to be a striker and even then that leaves us short.

5 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

We lost 4 out of our back five in June so they all have to be replaced plus Goody wanted a sitting midfielder. That leaves one position and considering we lost 3 out of 4 strikers, the last spot has to be a striker and even then that leaves us short.

Yeah. To be fair though, the 6 positions needing filled doesn't necessarily mean that only those 6 will come in.

He'll prioritise the problem positions first and the reassess if there is anything left in the budget.

41 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We're trying to get a friendly organised for Saturday vs Hibs but are awaiting government approval to do so.

There's a guy on the league reconstruction thread claiming this is proof the season could have been finished.

Top trolling to play Hibs to be fair. The real M8 alliance.

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

It's not his favoured position but it wasn't quite out of necessity either - he ended up playing 2 full seasons at either LWB or LB so it wasn't just a case of filling in because of injury/suspension.

He ended up playing on the left after Stevie Hammell retired mid-season and it turned out that him playing there gave us better balance and he was a better option for the position than someone like Stephen Hendrie or Aaron Taylor-Sinclair. We didn't really miss out at RWB/RB  as Chris Cadden and Liam Grimshaw were options there. 

So we just stuck with it until last season when we brought in Jake Carroll.

Unfortunately for Tait by that point Grimshaw had made the RB spot his own so he ended up mostly being used as cover for RB/LB.

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd take Hodson back. He's a solid 7/10 in 2 or 3 different positions. Read he was on an absolute fortune at Gillingham as well so unless they are supplementing it, I'd be surprised.

Gillingham offical site reads Hodson been released now talking to us and one other English team. 

Just now, ZingaliMan said:

Gillingham offical site reads Hodson been released now talking to us and one other English team. 

That was from the 11th June and he hasn't been released, he's still under contract with them but is free to find another club.

Given we were apparently talking to him on the 11th June, either negotiations have fallen through or Barry Fry is talking shite.

https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/news/2020/june/retained-list-2020/

Must be our Gillingham connection working again.

I'll be honest, while I reckon he'd be a decent addition, there is no way we could match his wages so if another club comes in for him I'd expect him to go there.

33 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That was from the 11th June and he hasn't been released, he's still under contract with them but is free to find another club.

Given we were apparently talking to him on the 11th June, either negotiations have fallen through or Barry Fry is talking shite.

https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/news/2020/june/retained-list-2020/

It's Steve Evans - he makes Barry Fry look slim.

Given that article is nearly a month old, I'm surprised no one had picked up on it before, unless I've missed it. Huge surprise to see Matty Willock on that list given the big licks Gillingham made when they signed about Pogba and Mata keeping him out the Man Utd team.

Just now, NorthBank said:

Personally I am not a fan of Hodson. Certainly wouldn't break the bank for him. There are better out there.

I don't think we're in for him at all.

It looks from the fans twitter feed, that it is speculation, possibly based on Evan's comments a wee while ago.

6 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Personally I am not a fan of Hodson. Certainly wouldn't break the bank for him. There are better out there.

Decent going forward,  not so much defending.