The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

I was sure I read something over the weekend to the effect fans would be in for the start of the new season. Or did I have too many shandies?

Got my Be In That Number number email yesterday...........1690.........thanks for nowt!!

🤣

1 hour ago, jimmy boo said:

I was sure I read something over the weekend to the effect fans would be in for the start of the new season. Or did I have too many shandies?

Got my Be In That Number number email yesterday...........1690.........thanks for nowt!!

😜😄

12 hours ago, FTOF said:

The only player we've signed (on loan) from Gillingham was Lee Hodson.

I've spent most of the day racking my brain to think of any other "connection"  we've had with Gillingham. In the last 4 decades, Hodson is the only one I could think of.

7 hours ago, Ric said:

I've spent most of the day racking my brain to think of any other "connection"  we've had with Gillingham. In the last 4 decades, Hodson is the only one I could think of.

Jakubiak was on loan at Gillingham, but Watford recalled him, so that we could sign him on loan.

Anyway, Centre half Joe Shaughnessy (formerly of Aberdeen and The Fakes. Out of contract at Southend), the aforementioned Mitchell Rose and Alex Jakubiak, all in talks with us in today's DR.

Some fall from grace for Shaughnessy. 

Captain, regular starter, offered a decent wage to reflect that. Demanded more money, determined to chase the dream down South as he thought he could get a Championship side.

Ends up at Southend and has a nightmare, barely gets paid on time, and now looks like he has to slink back to Scottish football on what's likely to be more or less what we offered him.

A wasted year of his career.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Some fall from grace for Shaughnessy. 

Captain, regular starter, offered a decent wage to reflect that. Demanded more money, determined to chase the dream down South as he thought he could get a Championship side.

Ends up at Southend and has a nightmare, barely gets paid on time, and now looks like he has to slink back to Scottish football on what's likely to be more or less what we offered him.

A wasted year of his career.

He’ll need to move to Gillingham before we sign him.

Shaughnessy would be a very decent signing indeed and we know what Jakubiak brings. 

The Mitch Rose one, I'm not sure. I think I just have a natural aversion to non-league players in England. Our record of picking signings from that level is pretty grim reading. Teams like Motherwell and ICT have exposed that market pretty well down the years but it's never happened for us. Guys like Marwood, Kellerman, King and Heaton have left our fingers burnt. 

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Shaughnessy would be a very decent signing indeed and we know what Jakubiak brings. 

The Mitch Rose one, I'm not sure. I think I just have a natural aversion to non-league players in England. Our record of picking signings from that level is pretty grim reading. Teams like Motherwell and ICT have exposed that market pretty well down the years but it's never happened for us. Guys like Marwood, Kellerman, King and Heaton have left our fingers burnt. 

To be fair, most of our non-league players were signed by two of worst ever managers in that cunt S****s and Tommy Craig. 

Kellerman was the best of the lot, and he was a Jack Ross signing. 

You would like to think that Goodwin has better judgement than the first two clowns mentioned.

Edited by FTOF

People criticise football agents but Joe Shaughnessy, what an example of not having the right representation. His father turned up as negotiator and has completely stunted his career. 

It took three months of rejecting deals before he gave Saints a proper indication of what he was looking for, which was well beyond our means. In that time frame he also squandered the chance of a return to Aberdeen by stringing them along as well.

Ends up having to go on trial at Southend and secures a deal. 

It'll be interesting to know who is representing him this summer. 

Did a good job for Saints but glad we've moved on. He'll do well for St Mirren (and can cover at right back) I'm sure but think all in Perth wlll be allowed a little smile at where he's ended up. 

Edited by Radford

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

To be fair, most of our non-league players were signed by two of worst ever managers in that cunt S****s and Tommy Craig. 

Kellerman was the best of the lot, and he was a Jack Ross signing. 

You would like to think that Goodwin has better judgement than the first two clowns mentioned.

Suppose I've omitted Cooke out from that list who whilst not a world beater, looked like he had at least played professional football.

Kellermann just didn't kick on, he looked lost mainly.

The one plus side with non-league players is that they will be cheap and will have at least experienced "rough and ready" football. Whether they are any good at this level is of course the gamble. As pointed out, sometimes it can work out for you.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

...all in talks with us in today's DR.

Be interesting to know what "in talks" actually means. Their agents have spoken to Goodwin on the phone or maybe something more substantive.

9 hours ago, Ric said:

A few of the Stubbs loan signings - Hodson, Jones and Willock - ended up there last season. Not sure of too many coming the other way.

56 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd forgotten Notts County were non-league now but in fairness to Rose he seems to have a decent amount of experience in League Two. Still not convinced it's our priority - I was going to joke signing a central midfielder when it's the last thing we need is the sort of thing one of our former managers would do, then I remembered he's our technical director.

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

A few of the Stubbs loan signings - Hodson, Jones and Willock - ended up there last season. Not sure of too many coming the other way.

I'd forgotten Notts County were non-league now but in fairness to Rose he seems to have a decent amount of experience in League Two. Still not convinced it's our priority - I was going to joke signing a central midfielder when it's the last thing we need is the sort of thing one of our former managers would do, then I remembered he's our technical director.

Goody apparently wants an enforcer in front of the back four. Looks like we are being priced out for Gogic so I am assuming he sees Rose filling that role although I though that was what Foley was doing.

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Goody apparently wants an enforcer in front of the back four. Looks like we are being priced out for Gogic so I am assuming he sees Rose filling that role although I though that was what Foley was doing.

I don't enjoy Foley in that role as it stifles him a bit. I like seeing him going box-to-box and covering a lot of ground. Cammy McPherson similarly in that he's a wee bit too rash in the tackle for that role.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I don't enjoy Foley in that role as it stifles him a bit. I like seeing him going box-to-box and covering a lot of ground. Cammy McPherson similarly in that he's a wee bit too rash in the tackle for that role.

Yeah, I was talking to someone that had been on the coaching staff and he said that Foley’s running stats in a game where head and shoulders above the rest (unsurprisingly!). If we play with three central players, you’ll probably have the ‘enforcer’, Foley and a creative sort I guess. Or maybe the ‘enforcer’ is for certain games.

If we have an enforcer plus Foley and Cammy in front that only leaves 3 positions left two of which would probably be filled by Ilkay and Obika. That would leave one position for Magennis, Flynn, McAllister and Jakubiak (assuming he signs). Some hard decisions for Goody (for a nice change).

25 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

If we have an enforcer plus Foley and Cammy in front that only leaves 3 positions left two of which would probably be filled by Ilkay and Obika. That would leave one position for Magennis, Flynn, McAllister and Jakubiak (assuming he signs). Some hard decisions for Goody (for a nice change).

Throw Morias and potentially another forward into that mix as well.

I definitely don't think we'll go with Obika, Morias and Jakubiak as our only 3 options up front next season, particularly as Jim doesn't appear to be fully sold on Morias.