The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I am definitely on the fence about Brophy. I know he's thought of highly by some, but his scoring record isn't really all that impressive. Of course, in relative terms this is St Mirren we're talking about and it's definitely an improvement on someone like Morias (for all the effort he puts in, and he does, his end product isn't great).
Makes me wonder if Obika will stay longer than this season, if Brophy is on a long deal, Erwin and Dennis are here until 2022, where does that leave him?
No, the biggest positive is not so much the player himself but that we beat off competition from teams around us and those above us.
Quick Edit: Why is [mention=76717]Mr. Alli[/mention] so angry about it?
Record not really impressive...he's the top scorer in the division bar Cosgrove outside the arse cheeks over the last 3 years.

I'd say 29 in 70 starts at this level us way above anything we have signed in a long time. Not really sure what folk were expecting if not someone of Brophys standard and he's still young.

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

oh02xxg.jpg&key=8c662e6c788b8b99022a005bbaf9d63af1d1fa31728a659d0c5b4334e6c6c61e
So he can't come in this window then ?

We could do a repeat of the move that shafted the Saintees when we wanted to sign Eddie Malone from Clyde. We ended up buying Stephen O'Donnell for £28k and Malone for £2k. I wonder what the Saintees did with that £200.

Sign some other Kilmarnock player for, say £48k and Brophy for £2k.

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Record not really impressive...

He looks pretty much like a standard low double figures return if given enough game time (which, again, raises the question about Obkia - unless we look to play 2 up front far more).

That said, we've seen considerably more prolific strikers come to the club and struggle to find the net. Dargo being a prime example, imo.

23 minutes ago, Ric said:

I am definitely on the fence about Brophy. I know he's thought of highly by some, but his scoring record isn't really all that impressive. Of course, in relative terms this is St Mirren we're talking about and it's definitely an improvement on someone like Morias (for all the effort he puts in, and he does, his end product isn't great).

Makes me wonder if Obika will stay longer than this season, if Brophy is on a long deal, Erwin and Dennis are here until 2022, where does that leave him?

No, the biggest positive is not so much the player himself but that we beat off competition from teams around us and those above us.

Quick Edit: Why is @Mr. Alli so angry about it?

I read the bit in bold Ric and got a case of the Dargo’s 🙈

1 minute ago, Ric said:

He looks pretty much like a standard low double figures return if given enough game time (which, again, raises the question about Obkia - unless we look to play 2 up front far more).

That said, we've seen considerably more prolific strikers come to the club and struggle to find the net. Dargo being a prime example, imo.

Dargo was an excellent player who was physically broken by that point. When he was on the park his intelligence and movement shone through in a Gus MacPherson side that was far too ponderous for him. 

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

We could do a repeat of the move that shafted the Saintees when we wanted to sign Eddie Malone from Clyde. We ended up buying Stephen O'Donnell for £28k and Malone for £2k. I wonder what the Saintees did with that £200.

Sign some other Kilmarnock player for, say £48k and Brophy for £2k.

Ahhh... Eddie Malone. for all the absolute madness the lad was, I quite liked him.

Which other Killie player is worth £48k though.. ;) ..interestingly, though, that is  you putting a price tag of £50k to get Brophy away from Killie. I wonder how close to tempting Dyer that would be. You don't feel Bowie, et al, are necessarily on their uppers, but they may be tempted to cut Brophy loose in order to free up a wage. That said, with (as the record describes it) a "major" sell on fee that might put them off, as they might not be willing to take the hit if 2 of their rivals benefited from the deal.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Dargo was an excellent player who was physically broken by that point. When he was on the park his intelligence and movement shone through in a Gus MacPherson side that was far too ponderous for him. 

Oh, sure, in hindsight we know that now, but we all looked at him (and for the life of me I've forgotten the other lad we got from Inverness and it's annoying me) banging in goals for Inverness and all assumed he'd carry on the same form. Not sure who was the manager of Inverness then - not sure if it was Christie or Brewster - but it's clear wee Gus was not playing the same style! :lol:

You are spot on about JDH signing an extension. I cannot for a minute believe he'll sign for long if he does. Maybe 18 months to take him up to the end of 22 like the other Irish lads except for Connolly. Talking of Connolly, if JDH sigs, you sort of feel Connolly will too. Maybe I'm just being lazy here, but I get the feeling all the Irish lads are happy there's a bit of clique going on.

Just now, Ric said:

Oh, sure, in hindsight we know that now, but we all looked at him (and for the life of me I've forgotten the other lad we got from Inverness and it's annoying me) banging in goals for Inverness and all assumed he'd carry on the same form. Not sure who was the manager of Inverness then - not sure if it was Christie or Brewster - but it's clear wee Gus was not playing the same style! :lol:

You are spot on about JDH signing an extension. I cannot for a minute believe he'll sign for long if he does. Maybe 18 months to take him up to the end of 22 like the other Irish lads except for Connolly. Talking of Connolly, if JDH sigs, you sort of feel Connolly will too. Maybe I'm just being lazy here, but I get the feeling all the Irish lads are happy there's a bit of clique going on.

He was only the first St. Mirren player to score at the new stadium :rolleyes:

Dennis Wyness.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

A 'new' offer?! When did we start crapping money?

Don't get me wrong, I'll w**k myself into a coma if we make these two deals happen.

The offer has been on the table since last week. He's only signed on til the end of this season so I think we've been wanting him tied down from pretty early on. 

44 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Well, aye. He shouldn't have been anywhere near the Scotland squads (but he's not the only one). If people are overhyped I'll just go with "they're pish". He will be a decent enough bottom six player. Breaking the bank for that is a bit wild, IMO. 

I wasn't looking for credibility. Sow has turned out to be a fairly decent signing for Dundee on a pay as you play deal in the Championship. Nobody ever mentioned him signing for a top flight side so I've no idea what you're trying to achieve with that line. 

Sow has turned out to be a fairly decent signing for Dundee, but based on what can only be described as you having a personal opinion that Brophy is shite, we should assume he won’t be a decent signing for St Mirren because we offered a 3 year contract that you are guessing cost a fortune ? Coming from a fan of a club who paid an absolute fortune for  Jakubiak that’s a bit rich.

From the Daily Record piece..
The news will be a blow to Hamilton who would have been in line for a major sell-on if he had been sold before his contract was up.
oh02xxg.jpg&key=8c662e6c788b8b99022a005bbaf9d63af1d1fa31728a659d0c5b4334e6c6c61e

Pishy paper talk. Ronnie Macdonald basically said at our last fans forum we would get pennies if Brophy was sold on when asked about him and Greg Docherty.

Anyway weird move for him surprised he’s not looking to go down south. Maybe hoping St Mirren put his big teams shop back in the ground.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The offer has been on the table since last week. He's only signed on til the end of this season so I think we've been wanting him tied down from pretty early on. 

Him and Connolly are surely available to sign PCAs since the 1st. Which worries me, but like I said in my other post I'm hoping the Irish clique, plus hopefully a mix of Goodwin's "bedside manner" and the current pandemic will see both of them err on the side of caution and sign on for at least another 18 months.

2 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Sow has turned out to be a fairly decent signing for Dundee, but based on what can only be described as you having a personal opinion that Brophy is shite, we should assume he won’t be a decent signing for St Mirren because we offered a 3 year contract that you are guessing cost a fortune ? Coming from a fan of a club who paid an absolute fortune for  Jakubiak that’s a bit rich.

For what Jakubiak showed while he was with us, I'm pretty surprised he's not cemented himself into that Dundee line up. Nice to see wee Danny get a goal to sink the miserable lot from Gorgie mind.