The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

53 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Redacted

Lovely stuff, that's really useful, cheers.

Interesting re the 4-4-2 stuff. I think the fact is, that suits a lot of strikers, but doesn't necessarily suit the modern game, and it's a relatively easy formation to nullify. Fans will always call for it to be used, and managers will occasionally respond, but it almost always gets binned again pretty quickly.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Lovely stuff, that's really useful, cheers.

Interesting re the 4-4-2 stuff. I think the fact is, that suits a lot of strikers, but doesn't necessarily suit the modern game, and it's a relatively easy formation to nullify. Fans will always call for it to be used, and managers will occasionally respond, but it almost always gets binned again pretty quickly.

I had mentioned earlier that Brophy in a 4-4-2 with Obika would maybe be interesting as he strikes me as a much 'busier' player than Obika, they may well actually complement one another in terms of style.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I had mentioned earlier that Brophy in a 4-4-2 with Obika would maybe be interesting as he strikes me as a much 'busier' player than Obika, they may well actually complement one another in terms of style.

I guess if you have a genuinely great reader of the game in the middle of the park, who could potentially do the work of two players in breaking up play and moving the ball on, then you might be ok. *Strokes chin and side-eyes JDH*

It'd probably mean playing McGrath as an inside-out winger on the left hand side, but that's not an issue if you've got a proper out-and-out winger down the right. 

Connolly - JDH - Erhahon - McGrath

------------Obika - Brophy -------------

There'd be less cover for the defence, but it could work.

11 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

How was Gavin Reilly for you? We've just signed him

Played really well in the team that strolled the Championship but hard to tell what he will be like in a league up, he is a pest for defenders though and never gives them a moments peace.

Doesn’t matter now though, as now he has signed for you guys, he will become the Scottish Messi 😳

13 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Absolute workhorse. One of the most popular players at St Mirren during his time here as he was roundly mocked by Pars fans then went on to fire in 14 goals as we stoated the league.

He's a very, very Livi signing. A guy who has never had the chance or quite cut it at the top level (his one season at Hearts). I'm certain Livi will get a turn from him.

13 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

He was great for us in 17-18, but as part of a team skooshing the league. He was very quick, but had Lewis Morgan playing out wide and (a then very good) Cammy Smith floating around as well. He's busy, harries defences, and is rapid. He scored one in two for us that year, a stat boosted by four in one game against Lothian Thistle.

He unusually went on a dry spell in the title run-in, with 1 in 14 at a point when he should have been scoring for fun:

image.png.94eca5330fca850cdb45244d1a669e3b.png

It's unclear who was to blame for him not signing a new deal to play for us the year we came up. The easiest option is (always) to blame Alan Stubbs, but Reilly might have been looking for a move away anyway.

When I heard he was coming back up here, I assumed it'd be a Champ-level team. Raith, maybe. I'm surprised he's got a gig with you, and I very much look forward to seeing him turn into an absolute world beater for Livi.

8 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Played really well in the team that strolled the Championship but hard to tell what he will be like in a league up, he is a pest for defenders though and never gives them a moments peace.

Doesn’t matter now though, as now he has signed for you guys, he will become the Scottish Messi 😳

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Absolute workhorse. One of the most popular players at St Mirren during his time here as he was roundly mocked by Pars fans then went on to fire in 14 goals as we stoated the league.

He's a very, very Livi signing. A guy who has never had the chance or quite cut it at the top level (his one season at Hearts). I'm certain Livi will get a turn from him.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

He was great for us in 17-18, but as part of a team skooshing the league. He was very quick, but had Lewis Morgan playing out wide and (a then very good) Cammy Smith floating around as well. He's busy, harries defences, and is rapid. He scored one in two for us that year, a stat boosted by four in one game against Lothian Thistle.

I can see why we've signed him then. We tried to get him the year we both came up and apparently tried every window since then ands failed. 

We thrive when we have a fast and physical striker that hassles defenders. Sounds like we've signed him as a like for like replacement for Dykes which excites me.

As a killie fan I’m not overly bothered losing Brophy. Very average when you take away penalty goals and his only spell when he was very good was when Greg Stewart was putting the ball on a plate for him. 
Works hard for the team when he can be arsed, will try shooting from 30yards every single time he gets the balls, niggling injuries also.

He’s a bottom half spl Striker in my opinion. 
rumours of 3k a week on a 3 year deal is absolutely ludicrous if true

I can see why we've signed him then. We tried to get him the year we both came up and apparently tried every window since then ands failed. 

We thrive when we have a fast and physical striker that hassles defenders. Sounds like we've signed him as a like for like replacement for Dykes which excites me.
He's certainly not a replacement for dykes!

Dykes and Reilly are very different players tbh. Dykes gets the ball out the air and brings people into play. That's not really Reilly's game. He'll bring people into play certainly but he won't be affective as a target man. He'll press the opposition all match though and you'll never call him lazy. Hopefully he can add some goals as well but the jury is out on that as he's unproven at that level. Hopefully it works out well for him.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
17 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Dykes and Reilly are very different players tbh. Dykes gets the ball out the air and brings people into play. That's not really Reilly's game. He'll bring people into play certainly but he won't be affective as a target man. He'll press the opposition all match though and you'll never call him lazy. Hopefully he can add some goals as well but the jury is out on that as he's unproven at that level. Hopefully it works out well for him.

To be fair, the majority of what Dykes did was pressing defenders. That was his main job for us, his aerial presence was also used but then again Dykes was just a well rounded player. 

We used Dykes for a lot of runs in behind and for his pressing which I imagine Reilly is good at - he'll absolutely fit the system and with Mullin firing balls into him it could be pretty lethal

24 minutes ago, ki11ie said:

As a killie fan I’m not overly bothered losing Brophy. Very average when you take away penalty goals and his only spell when he was very good was when Greg Stewart was putting the ball on a plate for him. 
Works hard for the team when he can be arsed, will try shooting from 30yards every single time he gets the balls, niggling injuries also.

He’s a bottom half spl Striker in my opinion. 
rumours of 3k a week on a 3 year deal is absolutely ludicrous if true

Absolutely no chance he'll be on anywhere near 3k per week.