Dundee United 2017/2018

Supporting a football team is not a business............it's a way of life, it's a passion. It's history , it's in your DNA. On both sides of Tannadice street.......I could no more support a merged team than deeforlife could. No matter how much financial sense it makes.
I agree that a merged team is not acceptable. Sharing a stadium is a different matter but I just don't think that is on the cards at all unless Dundee's owners pull the plug completely on their plans. Can't see many United fans wanting a ground share that isn't on an equal footing.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Being on the edge of a financial precipice is no fun at all.  Hope DUFC manage to restore fiscal balance and field an effective team which operates within its budget.

Think your club fell completely through that precipice and died tbh...

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Think your club fell completely through that precipice and died tbh...

I think the preposition you're struggling for here is 'off' rather than 'through'.  However, we established last weekend that you're as thick as pig-shit.

Anyway, this isn't about me or my team.  I was simply offering my best wishes to a club facing difficult times.

I think the preposition you're struggling for here is 'off' rather than 'through'.  However, we established last weekend that you're as thick as pig-shit.
Anyway, this isn't about me or my team.  I was simply offering my best wishes to a club facing difficult times.

Don’t think you needed the hyphen between pig and shit tbh....

Secondly while we are still in the black, though I’m not sure we will be by the end of the current year.  Whilst the level of our losses have fallen they are still unsustainable.  We need a capital injection and I don’t see that happening any time soon.

I haven’t seen the Fundee United accounts but by what measure are you jokers in ‘the black’?

Fans of blue teams seem to have a penchant for offering expertise to Dundee United supporters.

I don't know whether to feel grateful, patronised, insulted, humble or hurt.

Probably 'none of the above'.

Given the state of your club it’s fair to say you need help tbh....

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

We were very lucky with our youths and also with the Robertson buy.  The chance of replicating that is remote imo.

Just out of pure curiosity what has happened to you boys youth system? There doesn't seem to be anybody worth shouting about coming thru. Was the Russell's, Armstrongs and goodwillies the golden era? 

Just out of pure curiosity what has happened to you boys youth system? There doesn't seem to be anybody worth shouting about coming thru. Was the Russell's, Armstrongs and goodwillies the golden era? 

Don’t forget the Jack Hendry’s. Cheers guys [emoji106] We’d be in the red too if it wasn’t for Jack.

1 minute ago, Juantwothree said:

There are other Arabs on here who probably have a better knowledge of what went wrong.

Yeah I think it was a golden era and it’s over; no club our size can expect to replicate it on an ongoing basis.

I remember a few years back the same at Hibs; they produced a number of good players over a couple of seasons then nothing.

7 minutes ago, Juantwothree said:

We were very lucky to have a small group of very good young players coming through and unfortunately we also lost much of the 'core' to the that infrastructure when Cathro and Levein left. The club took the eye off the ball and didn't continually re-invest but as Granny points out it is also unrealistic to expect any Scottish club of a similar size to continually bring through players of such a high standard. Even when you look at clubs like Falkirk (who have now disbanded their youth system) those who have had a very good youth setup (Ross County another example) do not regularly produce that many high calibre young players. I think it was a mixture of being very fortunate to have a five year spell of very talented youngsters and having a decent infrastructure. At the moment both of those things don't really exist at United. 

I agree that a merged team is not acceptable. Sharing a stadium is a different matter but I just don't think that is on the cards at all unless Dundee's owners pull the plug completely on their plans. Can't see many United fans wanting a ground share that isn't on an equal footing.

Not at all, there are bigger teams than us ground sharing, inter and AC Milan don't even own the pitch they play on its a council park ! Think of the savings on maintenance there .

9 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

We were very lucky to have a small group of very good young players coming through and unfortunately we also lost much of the 'core' to the that infrastructure when Cathro and Levein left. The club took the eye off the ball and didn't continually re-invest but as Granny points out it is also unrealistic to expect any Scottish club of a similar size to continually bring through players of such a high standard. Even when you look at clubs like Falkirk (who have now disbanded their youth system) those who have had a very good youth setup (Ross County another example) do not regularly produce that many high calibre young players. I think it was a mixture of being very fortunate to have a five year spell of very talented youngsters and having a decent infrastructure. At the moment both of those things don't really exist at United. 

For years it just seed like there was a constant flow of good young players coming out of Tannadice. I wasnt trying to wynd anybody up, was just curious. 

Personally, I think it’s a terrible decision by my club to disband the Academy, although the ridiculous ‘Project Brave’ did a lot to destroy viability. Even at a time when we are being told players are not coming through we just offloaded one to Liverpool.

Archived