Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm meeting Mike Martin tonight along with other fan groups and reps, any questions the P&Bers would like me to ask him?

Okay a serious question, if Paul Sturrock has been appointed as the Chief Scout in England, does that mean they’re gonna be other people with the same title for different countries? Also how big is the Scouting system going to be in that case?

1 hour ago, Accent-Unknown said:

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/5551/LUGGY-SIGNS-FOR-UNITED.html

Sturrock is back, this time as a chief scout

Is this good news?  I’m really not sure.

If we are employing a Chief Scout (England) I would want someone who has a good track record as a scout?  Does that apply to Sturrock?

1 minute ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Okay a serious question, if Paul Sturrock has been appointed as the Chief Scout in England, does that mean they’re gonna be other people with the same title for different countries? Also how big is the Scouting system going to be in that case?

There is a one question limit and you have had yours.

I'm meeting Mike Martin tonight along with other fan groups and reps, any questions the P&Bers would like me to ask him?

Ask ,since Luggy's only 61 and now an employee...........can we use him as an impact substitute ? [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

3 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Q. What changes and improvements will be made to the youth system?

Get that asked 

There is actually a meeting arranged for the 17th of March for people to meet with the board about the youth setup and the plans for the future. There definitely needs to be a proper revamp of the youth setup.

9 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

I actually want to know what now happens with Darren Taylor and his future. I wonder if he will be out of a job and we then appoint a 'proper' head of scouting in his place. 

I actually want to know what now happens with Darren Taylor and his future. I wonder if he will be out of a job and we then appoint a 'proper' head of scouting in his place. 

Considering Martin’s comments about recruitment in his arabzone interview I imagine Taylor’s days are numbered.

17 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Any chance of Nicolls doing the pies again as the current ones are shite.

It was asked earlier in the season. The current deal with the hospitality and catering folk still has a wee bit to run if I remember (and they offered more money than anyone else to take on the contract). The pies are shit though.

15 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

It was asked earlier in the season. The current deal with the hospitality and catering folk still has a wee bit to run if I remember (and they offered more money than anyone else to take on the contract). The pies are shit though.

Worst news all season.

Yes the pies are shit..........I've had at least 3 break up in my hand as I was launching them at the home dugout this season. [emoji894][emoji489]

34 minutes ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

Yes the pies are shit..........I've had at least 3 break up in my hand as I was launching them at the home dugout this season. emoji894.pngemoji489.png

Falling apart under the slightest amount of pressure, eh? How beautifully symbolic.

The meeting tonight was positive I thought. Mike Martin speaks well and was backed up by Jimmy Fyffe in particular who vouched for Martin in terms of the amount of work he has already been doing (he also said he is working to end the current catering deal so we might get good pies back!). Summary of points made by Martin - 

- Recruitment is to be totally changed. They are looking at appointing primary scouts within Scotland (number one priority), England (second priority and now with Sturrock heading that). Northern Ireland, Ireland and Europe still in the frame but a focus on Scotland and England. Martin admitted that we had signed a terrible amount of dross and this needed to be changed. Overhaul of the medical side of things was also mentioned given the condition and fitness of the players. Martin and the board are supportive of Laszlo.

- Martin said that he previously had no real power in the boardroom despite being Thompson's ally. He had no say in decision making and as he said at the end of the meeting he feels as though he is now a 'free man' in terms of changing things. He has made several decisions already with regards to the infrastructure of the club and will press ahead with that.

- Accounts will be available as of tomorrow and will show a loss but a cut of about £2.1 million in operating costs and roughly £1million losses (I think that was the figure mentioned). The club has two budgets for next year and wish to aim for a 10% reduction in season tickets taking the numbers to about 4000ish (we sold 4500 season tickets this year and 300 half-season tickets).

- Coaching and youth infrastructure to be changed and possibly announcements soon about what that might look like.

- Questions regarding Thompson were asked and it is the case that although he has a majority share he has definitely 'left the building'. There are talks ongoing with a number of potential investors with regards to him selling shares but nothing concrete that could be shared. The current board are pressing ahead with their plans and decisions regarding the operational side of the club. 

- Mike Martin will make a loss on Gussie Park and insists that it is a purely altruistic gesture with the sole intention of helping the club. The club now have working capital that will see us through until beyond the end of the season and until season tickets income begins again.

- St.Andrews is likely to remain in place but changes are to be made with the way the team use Tannadice. Many of the facilities at St.Andrews will now be available at Tannadice and Gussie, like a strength and conditioning gym so that the players are at Tannadice several times during the week.

- Plans are in place to turn the building on the corner outside Tannadice into a bar and hospitality facility that Jimmy Fyffe estimates could raise £250,000+ in revenue if used every weekend for various fixtures (and accommodating away fans visiting Dens).

Archived