Group G

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I think we played quite well today. We looked fairly solid until Marshall's duffed clearance bounced off Brownlie and sat up perfectly for their boy to lash home (great finish). I thought Dykes had a good game (despite the at times disgraceful abuse aimed at him from some within our "support"), held the ball up well and showed some good touches, and his perseverance forced the mistake for the equaliser.

If we play like that most weeks I think we'll be fine.

I agree in general, but I wouldnt go as far as to say Dykes had a "good" game. He did ok, but lost far more in the air than he won and his play in general wasnt great. He looks like a player who has little natural football instinct. He never seems to read or anticipate things. Hes always reacting which makes him look hesitant or slow. There were two great balls across the box today which he didnt really get anywhere near. A more natural goal scorer, I think, would have got on the end of them. There was also another passage in the first half where Dobbie slid a perfect ball between the defenders but Dykes was moving the wrong way, he didnt read the pass at all.

I know he's young and that kind of thing will get better with experience but a lot of it is instinct and Im not sure he has it.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This. I was beginning to think I had been at a different game from everyone else but not quite everyone it seems.

Accies arent a top end Premier side but they are a level above us and we came and gave it a go. We didnt work the keeper enough but the one Alan Martin palmed up onto the post apart we made the better chances for me. The back four and keeper were excellent and encouraging, though Marsh should have dealt with the one that led to the goal. Jacobs was terrific and I was obviously watching a different Rankin because I thought he had a good game. 

Stirling had a poorer game though and while Murray had some good moments he didnt offer enough cover to Mercer behind him. Dykes worked away manfully all game and his efforts undoubtedly get the credit for the equaliser even if Dobbie was the quickest to react and turn it in.

Cant believe we lost the shoot out again especially from two up but to be fair to all 16 players nobody missed the target. Keepers had to make saves. The winning one from Brownlie in particular was a terrific save. Brownlie has done nothing wrong there. 

If we had managed a goal on Tuesday or won the shoot out today we would be all but through. Instead we are probably out. Small but costly margins. Very unlikely to get through now. Would take some remarkable results for 8 points to get in and thats the best we can do. :(

Rankin marshals and talks a good game and covers a lot of ground but Im still struggling to see exactly what he adds to the team, certainly to the extent where I would  say he had a good game today. He doesnt defend or win the ball back as well as Jacobs and he offers little going forward - typified by two incidents, one where he had all the time in the world around half way but just hooked the ball forward and another when he dummied the Accies player but instead of turning upfield with the ball he just belted it out of play.

I like him as a character and a captain but he has the ability and experience to be more effective in the midfield.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bingham held ball up well and ur centre backs both looked massive so won almost everything,Can't really remember anything else suprised Crawford never scored any of the 3 free kicks in good positions every time I see accies he's scoring a free kick/good goal it seems
What about queens players?

Dobbie's always dangerous. Another guy (maybe number 7) had pace which annoys any defender we've ever had.

It's no coincidence Rankin looked good at a game all we did was defend and shit midweek when we had the ball trying to break a team down,Yes he was loud today but why doesn't he do that all the time? And anytime he gets the ball he hoofs it in the air,Think we need better in there but he's the captain therefore I presume he'll play most games

It's no coincidence Rankin looked good at a game all we did was defend and shit midweek when we had the ball trying to break a team down,Yes he was loud today but why doesn't he do that all the time? And anytime he gets the ball he hoofs it in the air,Think we need better in there but he's the captain therefore I presume he'll play most games

Was Rankin playing from the start? :lol: All I can remember is his penalty miss.

Hopefully wee Boyd starts to break through now. He's been on brink for what seems like ages now, so yesterday's strike could give him that final push. The only problem is I don't think a 4-3-3 really suits him (the same problem with Crawford).

25 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Hopefully wee Boyd starts to break through now. He's been on brink for what seems like ages now, so yesterday's strike could give him that final push. The only problem is I don't think a 4-3-3 really suits him (the same problem with Crawford).

Stephen Boyd was tremendous for Rovers in his loan period last year (single handily beat Airdrie in his last game for us) . Good to see him get his opportunity now. Will Accies bring a decent crowd to the Coatbridge San Siro on Tuesday night?

Marked Gogic out the game to force long balls from us. Game was crying out for Donati to play from the back. Awful game, but glad we got there in the end. We just don't lose PSO's eh?

My goodness I must have been at a different game , Gogic was our best player , he played as defensive midfield broke up their play anticipated play all day long and gave the ball to Crawford to create. Th fact Crawford couldn't create anything was due to lack of movement in front of him until the subs came on. Donati has hardly passed to an Accies player since New Year and turned into a liability.

My goodness I must have been at a different game , Gogic was our best player , he played as defensive midfield broke up their play anticipated play all day long and gave the ball to Crawford to create. Th fact Crawford couldn't create anything was due to lack of movement in front of him until the subs came on. Donati has hardly passed to an Accies player since New Year and turned into a liability.

I don't think I slagged Gogic; I'm a massive fan of him. Queens did well by always having someone track him when Sarris or Tomas had the ball, though, and that meant he was under pressure a lot whenever he got the ball, or didn't even get it at all. It was different when he broke up the play or got it higher up, as he had more time to lay it off to Ali.

A game like yesterday would've suited Donati. He's not afraid to float around into all kinds of positions - which Gogic didn't - and he is a more intelligent player.

5 hours ago, accies1874 said:

You are correct- Boyd is not Accies quality. Could we have him back for half a season, please?

NOT in the Home Bargains car park across the road - I got a ticket from there last season, and it was midweek <_>

Hope you didn't pay it. Tickets from there are unenforceable in Scotland. They send a couple thretning letters over the course of a year then you never hear from them again

The people in the houses across the road park there cars there overnight

18 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Hope you didn't pay it. Tickets from there are unenforceable in Scotland. They send a couple thretning letters over the course of a year then you never hear from them again

The people in the houses across the road park there cars there overnight

I know, theres a whole thread on it on GN

Unfortunately, its a lease car and the lease company paid it <_<

Archived