Group G

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

What's the script with this group now?

We need to beat Stenny and hope Rovers lose or draw?

Accies win the group if they beat Stenny and Albion fail to win in 90 mins at Queens. If Albion win then Accies would need to win by 3 goals or more (depending on Albion's own margin of victory of course...)

Queens could still do it but it's really unlikely. I'd expect them to beat Albion but Accies dropping points against Stenny does seem remote.

My favourite scenario would be Accies drawing with Stenny and losing on penalties and Queens drawing with Albion but winning the shootout - would result in Albion Rovers winning the group with just 7 points.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Flash
23 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Accies win the group if they beat Stenny and Albion fail to win in 90 mins at Queens. If Albion win then Accies would need to win by 3 goals or more (depending on Albion's own margin of victory of course...)

Queens could still do it but it's really unlikely. I'd expect them to beat Albion but Accies dropping points against Stenny does seem remote.

My favourite scenario would be Accies drawing with Stenny and losing on penalties and Queens drawing with Albion but winning the shootout - would result in Albion Rovers winning the group with just 7 points.

Accies could still go through in second place if they beat Stenny by one goal and Rovers win. Need to look at the other groups and fixtures to figure out the permutations. SD has done it for us on the QOS thread and they are unlikely in the extreme but Accies have an extra point, of course. 

Eta SD's workings for us

we must beat Rovers 
AND either
- Stenny hold Accies to a draw.
OR
4 of the following happen:
- Inverness dont better our margin in beating Brechin (or dont beat them).
- Dunfermline at least draw with Hearts and Peterhead dont win in 90 mins.
- Kilmarnock fail to beat Dumbarton in 90 mins & we win by at least two.
- Morton dont win by 5 more than us.
- Partick lose to Stranraer or lose on pens while we win by 5 goals.
- Dundee get no more than 2 pts from Cowdenbeath and Dundee Utd.
- Hibs lose to Alloa.

Great to see a weakened Rovers team play so well last night and thoroughly deserve a draw and moral victory in the pens over our big neighbours.
What a finish.
GIUY in the nicest way possible. ;) 

Looks like we're in for a roller coaster season. Hopefully Victoria isnt too bad after being hacked down - ref didn't even give a foul ! 

To be fair it wasnt a foul. Looked more like a clash of knees. Shame though as the lad looked decent. Thought Rovers were ordinary in first half but played some nice stuff in the 2nd.

At the AGM Bomber stated that he intended using this section as a means for giving everyone in the squad a run out. In effect we are paying £10 to watch a training game playing in a section where it would appear we will not compete. He also said 5-3-2 was his preferred style this year.

From a personal point of view I would have played my first team in every game to give them game time and get them bedded in before the league starts. At the moment I dread to think what will happen when we start the league. Last night must have given Bomber more questions than answers.

As FF says we were all over EK for the first 15 minutes or so and then nothing. Why was McMenamen given the full 90 minutes - is he going to be our No1 striker, we already know what he brings and does not bring to the game?  Longworth in the 2 games I have seen him play has a terrible first touch.  Ross Meechan does not fit the 5-3-2 role and was caught out quite often. Halleran has potential but will need time although Paton does look a player. Seemed a waste bringing on Ferns and Gilmour but gain we cannot get a substitute on without going through a long ritual before they make their entrance.

More questions than answers in the first 3 games and not so looking forward to this league campaign at the moment.

Thought Rovers deserved the draw in the end probably the biggest concern is conceding goals from set pieces.

May as well have a greet and a moan while I'm here but that was the softest penalty I have ever seen at Cliftonhill- would have been a travesty to lose to that goal.

39 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

At the AGM Bomber stated that he intended using this section as a means for giving everyone in the squad a run out. In effect we are paying £10 to watch a training game playing in a section where it would appear we will not compete. He also said 5-3-2 was his preferred style this year.

From a personal point of view I would have played my first team in every game to give them game time and get them bedded in before the league starts. At the moment I dread to think what will happen when we start the league. Last night must have given Bomber more questions than answers.

As FF says we were all over EK for the first 15 minutes or so and then nothing. Why was McMenamen given the full 90 minutes - is he going to be our No1 striker, we already know what he brings and does not bring to the game?  Longworth in the 2 games I have seen him play has a terrible first touch.  Ross Meechan does not fit the 5-3-2 role and was caught out quite often. Halleran has potential but will need time although Paton does look a player. Seemed a waste bringing on Ferns and Gilmour but gain we cannot get a substitute on without going through a long ritual before they make their entrance.

More questions than answers in the first 3 games and not so looking forward to this league campaign at the moment.

Would broadly agree with all of that. I've seen the team play three times now - against Real Kashmir, Queen of the South and East Kilbride - and I've no idea what our starting XI for the season ahead will be. I'm not sure the manager does either. We seem to be well stocked in certain areas of pitch, particularly in central midfield and up front, but there is a real lack of depth on either wing with only Ross Meechan and Ruaridh Donaldson the natural full-backs.

2 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

Thought Rovers deserved the draw in the end probably the biggest concern is conceding goals from set pieces.

May as well have a greet and a moan while I'm here but that was the softest penalty I have ever seen at Cliftonhill- would have been a travesty to lose to that goal.

I thought it was a stonewaller. 

Can't make the game today due to my partner being selfish enough to have her birthday today so I have came out with my predictions as to how each group will end up

Group A - Falkirk have already won the group and Inverness will beat forfar to finish 2nd on 8 points

Group B - Hearts will beat Dunfermline on pens and Peterhead will beat Elgin on pens. Dunfermline win the group hearts 2nd on 8 points

Group C - Dundee United will beat Dundee to win the group Dundee finish 2nd on 9 points

Group D - Ross County will beat Arbroath to win the group Hibs will beat Alloa to finish 2nd on 10 points

Group E - Ayr will beat Annan and win the group Killie will beat Dumbarton finish 2nd on 9 Points

Group F - Motherwell have already won the group Morton will beat Edinburgh to finish 2nd on 8 points

Group G - Hamilton will beat Stenny and win the group QOS will beat Albion Rovers on pens. Albion Rovers finish 2nd on 7 points

Group H - Livingston have already won the group partick will beat Stranraer to finish 2nd on 10 points

In the next round will be

Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers, St Johnstone

Falkirk, Dunfermline, Dundee United, Ross County, Ayr, Motherwell, Hamilton, Livingston

Hibernian, Partick Thistle, Dundee and Kilmarnock 

Need a massive shakeup. I have no idea how Stenny will approach this, but if they get in our faces when in and out of possession they'll cause us massive problems. Sarris and Tomas (providing that's who starts) will eat up everything in the air, but when played on the deck or in behind, they're fucked. If their defensive line sit deep enough, Bingham is rendered even more useless, too. We also have no good wingers.

Archived