"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

14 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Were we not a bit of a mess for the first half of that first season? It was certainly one of our strongest squads we’ve had in the championship but I’m not sure I class it as a missed opportunity as we had left too much to do to get in the playoffs. I do agree with the thoughts that if we had snuck in we would have fancied going up though as with that momentum just keeping in going.

I actually think our strongest squad was last seasons. In the summer bringing in Gardyne and Mckay seemed exactly what we needed, granted the Gardyne one turned out to be a disaster. I’m sure I said at the time I felt it was our strongest but the only question mark was over Billy Dodds. I still feel that would have a starting 11 that should be challenging for the title but we have the wrong man in charge of those players.

Yeah in the first half we were fumbling in dark looking for a settled team.

Our team last season was one of our better ones we have had in our spell in this league and if the whole Gardyne incident hadn't happend who knows.

but the team we had for the last couple months in 17/18 for me is still the best we have had.

4-4-2

Ridgers 

Seedorf Mckay Warren Tremarco

Polworth Vigurs Chalmers Doran 

Oakley  Austin 

Edited by Jaffa

• Replies 14.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• RiG

• TheScarf

• PB1994

8 minutes ago, Jaffa said:

4-4-2

Ridgers 

Oakley  Austin 

I’m sorry but I will never, ever, agree that a team that included Brad Mckay was one of, if not the, strongest teams we have had, in the championship.

It was a shame about Ricky Calder battering his mrs with a shoe in a car park too. He was just coming onto a game.

Edited by PB1994

Our strongest starting 11 was the 2019/20 season imo but the wider squad was rotten. 

First choice defence of:

Ridgers 
Rooney Donaldson Mccart Tremarco

was very solid but when you have dross like Brad Mckay, Mchattie and the perenially injured Toshney coming in as back up and even starting when Donaldson and Mccart were sold it was worrying. 

Keatings as well who could actually deliver a corner and hit a decent free kick. He seems to have completely broke down now and playing in the Lowland league, sad to see. 

8 hours ago, Jaffa said:

4-4-2

Ridgers 

Oakley  Austin 

Colin Seedorf was absolutely honking. Terrible excuse for a footballer, when we played Livingston at the end of the season you could see the rest of the team was reluctant to give him the ball and Livi even stopped marking him. 

McHattie was good at centre back and reasonable enough when he played in midfield - weirdly he was absolutely rubbish in his natural position of left back. 

Keatings was a really disappointed signing. I remember a lot of people being really excited when he signed and while occasionally he did show a moment of skill, too often he went missing. 

Edited by Highland Capital

I think the two best opportunities of promotion came in our first season down and last season.

First season as others have mentioned we had great momentum and still had a handful of premiership players we hadn’t shipped out. Just took too long to get going unfortunately, I think it was written on Robertsons face at Morton how big a chance missed it was.

Last season we signed very well. Good strength and depth throughout with a decent blend of youth and experience.    First time we’ve actually had some kind of sustained title challenge up until around Christmas / New Year. 

I genuinely believe we’d have won the league last season if it wasn’t for the Gardyne problem. We had too much for teams to go on as bad a run as we did. Losing him as player was a big loss, but who knows how it impacted the team longer term.

2 hours ago, NorthStand10 said:

I think the two best opportunities of promotion came in our first season down and last season.

First season as others have mentioned we had great momentum and still had a handful of premiership players we hadn’t shipped out. Just took too long to get going unfortunately, I think it was written on Robertsons face at Morton how big a chance missed it was.

Last season we signed very well. Good strength and depth throughout with a decent blend of youth and experience.    First time we’ve actually had some kind of sustained title challenge up until around Christmas / New Year. 

I genuinely believe we’d have won the league last season if it wasn’t for the Gardyne problem. We had too much for teams to go on as bad a run as we did. Losing him as player was a big loss, but who knows how it impacted the team longer term.

I think last season was our best chance to win the league so far, to finish only 8 points off the eventual winners after not winning for 13 games from December to March is good going. Hard to tell how the Gardyne stuff affected the squad but going by results it possibly did have an effect.

Disagree about our first season back down though, the team wasn’t as good as we think and there was no way we were beating Dundee United then Livingston then Partick. 

9 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I think last season was our best chance to win the league so far, to finish only 8 points off the eventual winners after not winning for 13 games from December to March is good going. Hard to tell how the Gardyne stuff affected the squad but going by results it possibly did have an effect.

Aye last season was definitely the best chance.  We started and finished very well. The second quarter (Gardyne issue) our results dipped quite badly but the 3rd quarter (13 winless matches) killed us.

Who or what caused that bad run I don’t know. One difference between us and Killie after January was their signings like Lafferty and Ash Taylor made an instant impact along with a new manager, whereas Logan Chalmers and Samuels only got going in March.

4 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

😳   bit of a shame for his WIFE, too, I would’ve thought!

Someone at the time on CaleyThistleOnline tried to defend him by questioning what kind of shoe it was!

Edited by Highland Capital