"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

1 minute ago, SandyCromarty said:

Was it not enough to get relegated without hitting us with this six days later, makes me wonder if there is more  bad news to come.

Announce Claude Anelka as the new manager 🤞

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• RiG

• TheScarf

• PB1994

4 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

ironically their creepy gazing at each other might suggest its more concerning what their hidden hands are up to that you cant see

It's well known that Roy has enjoyed an embrace or two over the years.

Don't mention it though as County fans don't like speaking about it.

Posted (edited)

Taking this one announcement out of the recent catastrophuc that is Inverness CT 2024, I actually don't think this move is that bat-shit crazy.

Recruitment has seemingly been an issue to the outsider either with loans or young inexperienced players being the run of the day.

The closest precedent I can think of is Barrow AFC who have trained in the greater Manchester area for quite a few years as they felt it easier to attract players if they train there through the week and travel up on matchdays.

They have done okay on the park with them just missing out on the playoffs last season.

Obviously could be issues for incumbent players especially local lads.

Also interesting to see what is done with player properties that are owned by the club or its benefactors.

Back to Recruitment it will make Caley a more attractive proposition for players and there won't be the need for relocation expenses.

As said it is in the middle of a shitestorm overall but I don't think the idea is that bad, if full-time football is to be maintained for the coming seasons.

I'd guess this has been on the cards for a while as alluded to in the previous club statement.

TL;DR It could be a good initiative for the club as they seek to maintain full-time football. 

Edited by Claudia Gentile

4 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Taking this one announcement out of the recent catastrophuc that is Inverness CT 2024, I actually don't think this move is that bat-shit crazy.

Recruitment has seemingly been an issue to the outsider either with loans or young inexperienced players being the run of the day.

The closest president I can think of is Barrow AFC who have trained in the greater Manchester area for quite a few years as they felt it easier to attract players if they train there through the week and travel up on matchdays.

They have done okay on the park with them just missing out on the playoffs last season.

Obviously could be issues for incumbent players especially local lads.

Also interesting to see what is done with player properties that are owned by the club or its benefactors.

Back to Recruitment it will make Caley a more attractive proposition for players and there won't be the need for relocation expenses.

As said it is in the middle of a shitestorm overall but I don't think the idea is that bad, if full-time football is to be maintained for the coming seasons.

I'd guess this has been on the cards for a while as alluded to in the previous club statement.

TL;DR It could be a good initiative for the club as they seek to maintain full-time football. 

It would be a good laugh if we end up with a team of lower league Galacticos, win the league by miles.

Aren't Caley staying full time this year? So with this move it isn't just the players you have to think about, it's those who work behind the scenes who are not going to be needed. 

1 hour ago, Brad Bobley said:

Genuine question to any Stranraer or QotS (or indeed any other club in a similar boat) fans skimming through:

Does it make that much of a difference?

I know Dumfries/Stranraer to Glasgow is completely different from Inverness to *checks notes* Kelty, but generally interested about the premise, more than choice or execution of what seems quite a bizarre choice over somewhere like Stirling or Perth.

Queens have trained in the central belt for many years now.  We currently train at the Hamilton Palace sports grounds (ie not at Hamilton Accies).  I think as an example we have also trained at Broadwood previously.  I'd imagine the reason is entirely due to economics (and logistics) - ie it will be cheaper in travel costs to take the small number of southern players to train in the central belt that it would be to take the larger number of central belt placed players down to Dumfries.  Then there is also the hassle factor in such travel - having training based in the central belt means it is probably more attractive to central belt players in terms of the amount of time spent travelling to training.  Possibly also helps us to entice better quality players (gasp, cough, chokes ...) to the club.

In an ideal world of course Queens would always train in and have their players based in Dumfries, but the harsh financial realities of operating FT football in the lower divisions just doesn't support this.  Clubs have to balance their books.

On the face of it I understand the frustrations of the Inverness fans (particularly when funding a rival in the process), but harsh reality also has to kick in here and I see many similarities between Inverness and Dumfries in this respect.

Also, County/Dingwall can't be used as a comparison - they can only run their model by being hugely externally funded by McGregor ... their time will come!

3 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Aren't Caley staying full time this year? So with this move it isn't just the players you have to think about, it's those who work behind the scenes who are not going to be needed. 

You would assume there will sadly be a level of cost cutting behind the scenes for non-playing staff but that would be the case irrespective of where they train. 

The Inverness stadium will still be the base for everything in terms of administration and the like.

Seen a couple of people mention it but genuinely what happens to the players that are contracted for next season who have already relocated to simply sign for Inverness surely they must have been pre warned? If not then that's a disgrace from the Inverness board to an already horrendous decision which really doesn't seem to have much or any benefit to it and those players are absolutely entitled to be raging and demand some sort of compensation. 

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

I think it's important for players playing for a club to live in or near the club they play for. It helps form a connection to the club and supporters, you become part of city and club. This shipping players up north every other weekend for games does nothing for that. 

Easy to say and absolutely in an ideal world.  However, this is Scotland and we have a relatively small number of towns with large (say > 60k) populations that can sufficiently support clubs such that this sort of home-player-base strategy is financially sound.  Outside of the Premiership (where most funding is hoarded by the "elite") such a strategy becomes difficult to deliver financially.  We also have the peculiarly Scottish problem in that many of the football interested population in our towns don't follow/support their home town clubs but instead follow either of two other clubs.

12 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Queens have trained in the central belt for many years now.  We currently train at the Hamilton Palace sports grounds (ie not at Hamilton Accies).  I think as an example we have also trained at Broadwood previously.  I'd imagine the reason is entirely due to economics (and logistics) - ie it will be cheaper in travel costs to take the small number of southern players to train in the central belt that it would be to take the larger number of central belt placed players down to Dumfries.  Then there is also the hassle factor in such travel - having training based in the central belt means it is probably more attractive to central belt players in terms of the amount of time spent travelling to training.  Possibly also helps us to entice better quality players (gasp, cough, chokes ...) to the club.

In an ideal world of course Queens would always train in and have their players based in Dumfries, but the harsh financial realities of operating FT football in the lower divisions just doesn't support this.  Clubs have to balance their books.

On the face of it I understand the frustrations of the Inverness fans (particularly when funding a rival in the process), but harsh reality also has to kick in here and I see many similarities between Inverness and Dumfries in this respect.

Also, County/Dingwall can't be used as a comparison - they can only run their model by being hugely externally funded by McGregor ... their time will come!

It really doesn't matter what division you guys (all clubs outwith central belt & Aberdeen tbf) are in.  Few players would be willing to relocated lock stock and barrel (including potential family and children if they have them) for a one or two year contract on Scottish wages. Obviously some have and some will already live in the area. but the others won't unless they can't find a club closer to home.  It's sad but true

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Easy to say and absolutely in an ideal world.  However, this is Scotland and we have a relatively small number of towns with large (say > 60k) populations that can sufficiently support clubs such that this sort of home-player-base strategy is financially sound.  Outside of the Premiership (where most funding is hoarded by the "elite") such a strategy becomes difficult to deliver financially.  We also have the peculiarly Scottish problem in that many of the football interested population in our towns don't follow/support their home town clubs but instead follow either of two other clubs.

Most of these towns are quite close to each other though. I would say the only full-time club who should find it difficult to have players train and live nearby would be your own one, Queen of the South. Every other full-time club is either in or near a city or in the central belt.

1 minute ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

It really doesn't matter what division you guys (all clubs outwith central belt & Aberdeen tbf) are in.  Few players would be willing to relocated lock stock and barrel (including potential family and children if they have them) for a one or two year contract on Scottish wages. Obviously some have and some will already live in the area. but the others won't unless they can't find a club closer to home.  It's sad but true

Aye, that's why I focused on training travel costs (not relocation costs) only - I'd be surprised (as you say) if any player was (daft enough) to relocate to Dumfries for only a one or two year contract.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Most of these towns are quite close to each other though. I would say the only full-time club who should find it difficult to have players train and live nearby would be your own one, Queen of the South. Every other full-time club is either in or near a city or in the central belt.

Yes, of course - the majority of the Scottish population lies within the central belt (incl. Ayrshire), Fife, Tayside and Aberdeen.  The only real large towns (say > 40k) outside of that are (without checking) probably Inverness and Dumfries.  I always thought it was good in terms of football geographical diversity for the game to have representation within the north and south areas - hence I was pleased to see Inverness entering the leagues.

11 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Yes, of course - the majority of the Scottish population lies within the central belt (incl. Ayrshire), Fife, Tayside and Aberdeen.  The only real large towns (say > 40k) outside of that are (without checking) probably Inverness and Dumfries.  I always thought it was good in terms of football geographical diversity for the game to have representation within the north and south areas - hence I was pleased to see Inverness entering the leagues.

Ahem, Ayrshire is outwith the Central Belt, albeit not too far away.

Many posts from fans who have players training elsewhere, QOS for example, however the reason given is that this arrangement is more attractive to central belt players, all fine and well but how about the promising youngsters in their home towns, it's all very well to have development coaches say in Inverness but how do you bring attention and assessment for a young player when the manager, coaches and first team are training 140 miles away.

16 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Inverness is a city with a pop of around 80,000, with a busy airport and thriving tourist industry.

Just now, SandyCromarty said:

Inverness is a city with a pop of around 80,000, with a busy airport and thriving tourist industry.

And Duncan Ferguson, don't forget Dunc.