"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No one gets paid to play rugby in this locality either but there is never the less a thriving rugby club on our doorstep who have youth sections taking kids away from football to an extent. Is the same not also true of schoolkids choosing between shinty and football in the Highlands?

Shinty is really area specific.

- Beauly
- Cannich
- Fort William
- Lochcarron
- Kingussie
- Newtonmore

Outside those with a few exceptions Shinty is an afterthought.

• Replies 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• TheScarf

• RiG

• PB1994

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

If I were a current ICT player, and was contracted to the club for next year, and lived in or near Inverness, I wouldn't be all that pleased at having my commute extended by a 250 mile round trip. 

Unless there is a specific clause allowing it, can't believe an employer can relocate staff against their will without giving them the option to leave.

5 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

Unless there is a specific clause allowing it, can't believe an employer can relocate staff against their will without giving them the option to leave.

Googled and it's called a mobility clause which allows a company to relocate staff as required unless the employees find the move unreasonable, in other words it's open to argument legally.

Without it staff are free to stay or move or leave. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Shinty is really area specific.

- Beauly
- Cannich
- Fort William
- Lochcarron
- Kingussie
- Newtonmore

Outside those with a few exceptions Shinty is an afterthought.

It’s definitely a big deal here in Beauly. Most of the kids here play shinty up to a certain age, more widespread with the younger ones than football I think. Certainly with my son and his pals. Anyway, I’ve scurried down wee rabbit hole. 

I reckon ICT are making a big long term mistake in disengaging with all the local stuff that makes a club tick and give it identity. Can understand why ICT fans are raging about it

Edited by Lanky Highlander

I'm genuinely sorry to see big George go. He was a very decent player for us.

Word of caution though. When we signed him the ICT fans were pissing themselves at us and he hasn't really displayed his "Morton" form elsewhere in his career. 

Will be interesting how things pan out for him...

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Lanky Highlander said:

It’s definitely a big deal here in Beauly. Most of the kids here play shinty up to a certain age, more widespread with the younger ones than football I think. Certainly with my son and his pals. 

Aye, 100%. Know a boy who moved from Beauly to Dingwall in primary and he couldn't understand why nobody in Dingwall cared about Shinty.

Edited by Comrie

7 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Googled and it's called a mobility clause which allows a company to relocate staff as required unless the employees find the move unreasonable, in other words it's open to argument legally.

Without it staff are free to stay or move or leave. 

Expect the legal argument for what is reasonable would be different depending on the industry.  However you'd have to think working for a football club it would be easy to argue it's unreasonable to move training 140 miles away.

9 minutes ago, Lanky Highlander said:

It’s definitely a big deal here in Beauly. Most of the kids here play shinty up to a certain age, more widespread with the younger ones than football I think. Certainly with my son and his pals. Anyway, I’ve scurried down wee rabbit hole. 

I reckon ICT are making a big long term mistake in disengaging with all the local stuff that makes a club tick and give it identity. Can understand why ICT fans are raging about it

A Saturday night in the Lovat is an interesting mix of Shinty and Football, erm, fanatics.  

Did / do Peterhead not have different training locations for their various players, depending where they come from?  Means the full team don’t regularly train together.  

I can only assume that ICT will have even less money to offer players now so it would probably would be extremely difficult to persuade someone to move their family to Inverness if it is only for a small ish salary.

Scot Gardiner's CEO highlight reel is impressive:

Club 1: Piss off a long term shirt sponsor of 5+ years and the stadium sponsor by demanding more money to the point they tell you to f**k off and you go into the new season without a single sponsorship deal. Sack a club legend then claim your safety is at risk and close down a whole stand so that nasty words can't be shouted at you. 

Promptly gets punted.

Club 2: Get a role that you have substantially less power and control in but still manage to almost derail the entire Club by forgetting to order seats for the new stand that's being built.

Promptly gets punted.

Club 3: Get a cushty gig in the Highlands. Promise to make them money through concerts. Have the concerts be utter disasters and lose you money then decide the way to save the club is by building a... battery farm. That idea then fails so relocate the club 150 miles away to the town of a league rival and try and sell that as a positive.

And get paid £80k a year for the privilege.

And that doesn't really scratch the surface. That's just the major incidents!

2 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Taking this one announcement out of the recent catastrophuc that is Inverness CT 2024, I actually don't think this move is that bat-shit crazy.

Recruitment has seemingly been an issue to the outsider either with loans or young inexperienced players being the run of the day.

The closest precedent I can think of is Barrow AFC who have trained in the greater Manchester area for quite a few years as they felt it easier to attract players if they train there through the week and travel up on matchdays.

They have done okay on the park with them just missing out on the playoffs last season.

Obviously could be issues for incumbent players especially local lads.

Also interesting to see what is done with player properties that are owned by the club or its benefactors.

Back to Recruitment it will make Caley a more attractive proposition for players and there won't be the need for relocation expenses.

As said it is in the middle of a shitestorm overall but I don't think the idea is that bad, if full-time football is to be maintained for the coming seasons.

I'd guess this has been on the cards for a while as alluded to in the previous club statement.

TL;DR It could be a good initiative for the club as they seek to maintain full-time football. 

I agree, on reflection don’t think it’s that crazy either.

As others have pointed out, many clubs don’t train in their home town anymore and will only see their home ground on match days.

Berwick and Cowdenbeath are two examples that spring to mind, both train in Edinburgh. Montrose train in Perth or Dundee I think.

I get that these examples are far less geographically extreme than Inverness to Kelty, and it would take some getting my head round if I was a fan, but it might just help you attract better players.

Worst thing is how it affects any non playing staff on the football side, as I would imagine office staff would be unaffected.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Scot Gardiner's CEO highlight reel is impressive:

Club 1: Piss off a long term shirt sponsor of 5+ years and the stadium sponsor by demanding more money to the point they tell you to f**k off and you go into the new season without a single sponsorship deal. Sack a club legend then claim your safety is at risk and close down a whole stand so that nasty words can't be shouted at you. 

Promptly gets punted.

Club 2: Get a role that you have substantially less power and control in but still manage to almost derail the entire Club by forgetting to order seats for the new stand that's being built.

Promptly gets punted.

Club 3: Get a cushty gig in the Highlands. Promise to make them money through concerts. Have the concerts be utter disasters and lose you money then decide the way to save the club is by building a... battery farm. That idea then fails so relocate the club 150 miles away to the town of a league rival and try and sell that as a positive.

And get paid £80k a year for the privilege.

And that doesn't really scratch the surface. That's just the major incidents!

What makes it worse is, he jumps from disaster to disaster at us but the the punting is yet to happen 

Scott Gardiner is incompetent and should be gone but the whole board has backed these plans, including Grassa and Alex Chisholm who were going to reconnect the club with the business and wider community in the city.  I'm sure that'll go well.

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Scott Gardiner is incompetent and should be gone but the whole board has backed these plans, including Grassa and Alex Chisholm who were going to reconnect the club with the business and wider community in the city.  I'm sure that'll go well.

One of Grassas sons has already made his feelings clear.

IMG_0279.jpeg