"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

38 minutes ago, RiG said:

"Commemorative brick" :lol:

It’s a scheme that has run at several clubs. Get a brick with your name and message on it on a wall outside the turnstiles, club entrance etc. Elgin have sold hundreds raising several thousands of pounds. Don’t knock it, it is a sound idea.

• Replies 14.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• RiG

• TheScarf

• Highland Capital

2 minutes ago, 1993 said:

It’s a scheme that has run at several clubs. Get a brick with your name and message on it on a wall outside the turnstiles, club entrance etc. Elgin have sold hundreds raising several thousands of pounds. Don’t knock it, it is a sound idea.

I think we already have something like that in the tunnel maybe, could be wrong though 

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Nairn County have had a DD scheme running since COVID. I put in a tenner a month and I get sent a bit of club branded tat every year or so.Screenshot_2024-01-26-18-29-07-673-edit_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.fb36c353902e25cc8e61cf482627ecdb.jpg

It’s a complete no brainer. Maybe that’s why Gardiner doesn’t want it. 

8 hours ago, Juanjo Nostalgia said:

Not convinced that paying players’ wages is a charitable purpose!

The old Glasgow Rangers paid £50 million into a trust designed solely to pay players salaries which were, if I remember correctly, disguised as loans to players.

There was a big stooshie over it and I can't remember the outcome.

Trusts can be set up for players to save for retirement, some do but many don't. 

5 hours ago, 1993 said:

54 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

I thought we have them on one outside wall.

It just sounds a bit shit when it's written as plainly as that.

No chance I'd 'donate' anything as long as Gardiner is at the helm. 

My season tickets, buying overpriced shitey pies plus strips and merch for my kids is plenty. 

Some of you would do well to remember we’ve a multi billion pound battery storage farm on the way, leave the crowd funding to the other clubs.

9 hours ago, Fraz said:

No chance I'd 'donate' anything as long as Gardiner is at the helm. 

My season tickets, buying overpriced shitey pies plus strips and merch for my kids is plenty. 

It’s about that cunt though. It’s about being able to potentially sign better players and persuade the good ones we have to sign new deals. 

17 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I think we already have something like that in the tunnel maybe, could be wrong though 

There's steps in the main stand with fans names on it, haven't seen it for years being in the North Stand but my wife bought me one some years back.

As for the fans making monthly contributions I'm all for it if someone could set something up.

23 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I see Arbroath have launched a fan Direct Debit payment service to boost their player budget.  I know another couple of clubs do that too, possibly Falkirk and Morton?  I was reading on Twitter the other day that a fan has contacted Gardiner a few times about setting one up only to be told we don't have a big enough fanbase for it to be worthwhile.

I think it's a great idea.  Arbroath have a 1 year minimum subscription too, which makes sense to stop all the fans who sign up to suddenly just cancel the DD and leave the club unable to pay certain wages.

I'd be happy to part with 50 or so a month towards something like that for The Caley.  Seeing as we seem intent on paying Gardiner a 6 figure salary that can't go to the player budget.

In Morton's case it started as a way for the fans to gradually build up a shareholding rather than simply being a donation to help with running costs, but membership was fairly low at that point and only really shot up when it was announced MCT would be taking over the club, going up further again after the takeover was complete to now having around 1000 paying a minimum of a tenner monthly.

Now we own 90%+ of the club really the money is just helping with running costs, but as we own the club I don't view it as a donation and it's not ringfenced for the playing budget alone, as it was when it first started before the takeover. As owners of the club it's important to put that money in to make it work and keep fan ownership viable. With membership of MCT we also get the power to elect people to the board of the fans group, who in turn have the power to influence the board of the club as the majority shareholder.

I wouldn't really look at it the same way if you're just handing the money over and getting nothing in return, while private owners who have no real accountability to the fanbase can continue to spunk a sum equivalent to your entire annual donations on wages for Scot Gardiner or Wallace Duffy. If you actually get something like shares or fan representation on the board in return then that's different, but I'd feel a bit uneasy about doing it with no strings attached.

It is a matter of record that during Scot Gardiner's tenure the club has welcomed and accepted donations so it's reasonable to assume that contentions to the converse are either ignorant or performative.