"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

14 hours ago, micaley68 said:

Oh what a glorious night!  Back then we thought teams like Airdrie were invincible.

One of my greatest memories from Telford street. I still miss the old place.

Played at Telford Street in the early eighties for the Scottish Fire Brigade against the English.Captain that day was Caley legend John Docherty.What a player he was.

40 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

bus.jpg

I can't help but think it would have been better if they had thought up their own witticism.

Many took the view that seeing the self styled "Rangers of the north" being subsumed into a team that had an elegance about them was, if not natural justice, at least hilarious.

I recall the insistence that Caley should go it alone due to their size and "connections" (Jock Macdonald and others were free masons) and I was immediately turned off by a hubris as misplaced as a Wilsie one on one shot. 

17 minutes ago, sophia said:

Many took the view that seeing the self styled "Rangers of the north" being subsumed into a team that had an elegance about them was, if not natural justice, at least hilarious.

Meeiaow 😂

A good few Celtic fans in the team including Charlie and Danny MacDonald. And Thistle, at the very least, had Jim Calder, a rabid bluenose and without even a semblance of elegance 😉

"Jock Macdonald was a Caley man" shocker!

Younger posters won't get Sophia's point about the witticism. It relates to Wembley in 1981 when Ted Croker of the FA tried to ban Scottish supporters and we were there in even bigger numbers than ever 😂

Hmm, Tansey is a victim of the ICT curse - guys leaving for more money and their careers stall/dwindle away.  Not sure I'd like him back now.  31 and constantly injured.

I was happy he left when he did. Constantly disappointed me with the exception of some wonderful free kicks.

Something I've been curious about but have never asked; how many of you guys supported Caledonian FC or Inverness Thistle before the merger?
Or did the majority become fans post merger? Did you support anyone else before ICT formed?
Honestly not trying to be a WUM with this, just something I've always wondered about. Would be cool to hear more info about that time too, if anyone has stories.

I started following Caley when I was about 7 (mid to late 80’s). My great uncle worked with a player called Kenny Taylor and he invited us to a game and I never forget being given a tour of the “inner sanctum” of the main stand at half time and from then on I was hooked!

I loved the merger for the chance of bigger and better things but I hated the move to the landfill site.

29 minutes ago, Wilson Robertson said:

I was happy he left when he did. Constantly disappointed me with the exception of some wonderful free kicks.

Amazing how many fans seem to have issue with Tansey, possibly one of the best midfielders in the league when he was with us, anyone who watched him and his range of passing along with set piece ability cant say he was disappointing.

Its a shame his ability and contribution is now seen in such a light given his last 6 months or more he played through constant injuries and given his need for a hernia op on arrival at Aberdeen has given him a reputation as a sick note. Retrospectively how much of his injury issues as attributed to ICT and playing him unfit.

There is a link that Meekings, McKay, Tansey, Draper all left and needed major surgery and spent many months out of the game with many failing to ever fully recover and get back to previous form. Always criticised for stating these points but it cant be all coincidental.

Tansey was excellent for us second time round and a vital part of the team that won the Cup and came 3rd. He gave us more mobility and creativity in the sitting 2 that Draper and Tudur Jones didn’t have. Once Aberdeen came in for him he wasn’t interested though, and was pretty shit for the last season he was here. I’m not buying the injury excuse tbh. Yes he may have been injured but that doesn’t explain his sudden drop in form after the Aberdeen saga, he didn’t suddenly get injured then. The likes of Draper, Mckay etc never stopped trying for us and were rightly never questioned.

As for now though, Tansey is finished and I wouldn’t take him back. He’s been broken since he left us and I think McInnes only signed him after his abysmal form because he was desperate to get one over on us.

Catching up on this, Tansey might be a good addition if he was at the level he played at 2014-2015 but he hasn't recovered that form for us, Aberdeen, County or St Mirren and has been injured a lot since then.  I just checked and he's barely played 20 games since leaving us.  

White is probably our best striker, although not a goalscorer, so unless we have a degree of confidence in Todorov then it'd be a strange move for us.

1 hour ago, Tarmo Kink said:

As for now though, Tansey is finished and I wouldn’t take him back. He’s been broken since he left us and I think McInnes only signed him after his abysmal form because he was desperate to get one over on us.

Why, I''d be keen to hear some reasoning behind this golden nugget? Honestly its the deluded pish you expect from OF fans.

Why, I''d be keen to hear some reasoning behind this golden nugget? Honestly its the deluded pish you expect from OF fans.

It’s pretty common knowledge that McInnes was fucking raging when we blocked Tansey from leaving late on. I said ‘I think’, so I never stated it as fact but there isn’t much else to explain McInnes signing Tansey after an awful season and stealing Miles fucking Storey from our hands at the last minute. Aberdeen were obviously pissed off with us.

Absolutely no to any thought of a Tansey return, Vincent is enough, and I'm being kind there.

Fair enough we've had a wee wallow in the past these last hours with the bus etc, but I see no point in bringing back any player who left us for what he thought was greener pastures.

It’s pretty common knowledge that McInnes was fucking raging when we blocked Tansey from leaving late on. I said ‘I think’, so I never stated it as fact but there isn’t much else to explain McInnes signing Tansey after an awful season and stealing Miles fucking Storey from our hands at the last minute. Aberdeen were obviously pissed off with us.
The way they turned out for Aberdeen may have been a slight blessing mind you

I can't say I recall too many wonderful free kicks. One against Hamilton and that howitzer against County that Brown kept out one handed but his set pieces were quite poor. I agree with you about being happy he left when he did. Wouldn't want him back. He's busted.

I'm not totally against bringing back former players in theory but I wouldn't want Tansey back.  All he had for us really was one and a half good seasons.  In 14-15 he was outstanding, the perfect foil to the more robust Draper and was like a metronome keeping things ticking over.  He wasn't the best central midfielder we ever had but he was a big part of that team.  Then came the whole Aberdeen saga and his form fell like a stone.  

He was absolutely rubbish in his first spell with us and rubbish in his last six months of his second.  He was rubbish at Aberdeen and has done little since at St Mirren and County as well as being constantly injured.  What we need is a robust ball-winning midfielder and that is not what he is.  I'd rather he stayed in the past.