"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Raven sticking the boot into the (old) board a wee bit here:

https://planetradio.co.uk/mfr/local/news/raven-hits-ict-departing-defender-bemoans-demise/

I think it's fairly obvious where the money has gone.

There is a club to run and and in most years it has made a loss.

Whereas the Christie and cup money would have been welcome, getting into Europe incurred a costly trip across the continent and only a modest home crowd.

Raven is either being disingenuous or hard of thinking if he envisages his ruminations to be construed as anything else but bitter to the taste.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

Whereas the Christie and cup money would have been welcome, getting into Europe incurred a costly trip across the continent and only a modest home crowd.

Just looked this up out of curiosity and it was 5500 which is pretty decent, especially as the away stand only had a few dozen and apparently we had to allocate them the whole stand.

6 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Just looked this up out of curiosity and it was 5500 which is pretty decent, especially as the away stand only had a few dozen and apparently we had to allocate them the whole stand.

It's basically a sell out on the home side as our capacity is around 7800 and the north and south stands hold about 2400 each. 

In terms of a full time football club 5,500 is the very definition of a modest crowd and far from a sell out.

As a one off, it would have been welcome income but the bigger picture is that hay making days subsidise sub 3k crowds

I haven't the foggiest what point Raven was trying to make.

I'd be delighted to be enlightened 

13 hours ago, sophia said:

Raven is either being disingenuous or hard of thinking if he envisages his ruminations to be construed as anything else but bitter to the taste.

Are you saying you made a loss from the European tie?

The chairman said at the recent agm something along the lines that the travel was hugely expensive as a one-off cost.

I'll be generous and  venture that a small profit was made on the tie and speculate on how many of the subsequent incompetents that Hughes accumulated it might have funded?

59 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Are you saying you made a loss from the European tie?

We've made losses in Europe in recent years too. Chartering flights to obscure locations in Eastern Europe is an expensive business. Armenia was bad enough - if we'd gotten through that round, we were playing a Kazakh team who play close to the Chinese border.

13 hours ago, sophia said:

In terms of a full time football club 5,500 is the very definition of a modest crowd and far from a sell out.

As a one off, it would have been welcome income but the bigger picture is that hay making days subsidise sub 3k crowds

I haven't the foggiest what point Raven was trying to make.

I'd be delighted to be enlightened 

If our home crowd for the European game was 5500 and the away fans under European regs had to have a stand to themself then physically we couldn't have  anymore in the home end. 

4 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

The Press and Journal are reporting that Alex Cooper isn’t being retained which isn’t a huge surprise.

Why. Surely it would be better to try someone new as cover.

Maybe if some of those 5500 fans as well as the many more thousands who turned out back in May 2015 made it along a little more regularly the club might have a bit more money to play with. That said, I can't help but feel the club just thought that supporters would suddenly turn out in their droves after winning the SC and everything would be magic.

43 minutes ago, ThomWy said:

If our home crowd for the European game was 5500 and the away fans under European regs had to have a stand to themself then physically we couldn't have  anymore in the home end. 

Along with many other home fans, I watched the game from the south stand.

I'm afraid to say that there is little in the way of historical accuracy that has provision for support for your point

It's got a lotto do with cost not everyone can afford to go to football regularly. I'm lucky that this season i could afford a season ticket and as a result my two young lads got theirs free which is a huge saving. If u couldn't have afforded that season ticket I would have made only a handful of games. If the whole family wanted to go to a match it's the guts of £80 a visit. 

14 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I know David Raven was a great player for us over the years and a fans favourite but players come and go.  I know we're all disappointed he's away but good Lord, in the run up to Saturday, some of our fans were acting like he'd died!

He had a bizarre gripe about a lack of progression at the club for "senior" players when their legs have gone.

As solid a journeyman right back that Raven has been, it's not hard to take a view on why he seemed to fall out with others.