Random Thoughts:

• How do the players get told that a manager has been sacked?

• How many sacked managers can you be told about before you start wondering if the manager is the only problem?

• Next manager isn't going to last either. 

• The much hated Kensell has taken Hibs from £8.6m revenue (down from £8.9m the previous year on Dumpster's watch) to £11.9m up to last summer, while getting the wages to turnover ratio down.  He now needs to make us profitable as he's only posted 1 profitable year so far; but fans who want him out, why? Tan and accent? too cosy with LJ to sack him (oops)? Too Tory? Too successful?

• McDermott oversees recruitment, why is he not getting flack for this summer's signings?

• Kit Gordon now owns us and delegates day to day responsibility for protecting her investment to Ian Gordon, like Farmer did with Petrie. Why isn't Kit Gordon getting any flack for the state of the club, like Farmer/Ron used to?

• Fans who wanted LJ gone are now criticising Hibs across social media for punting him while the window is still open AND were criticising Hibs if they punted him once the window was closed.

• Most of what Hibs fans want (removal of manager/removal of deadwood players/investment in squad/stated club ambition/infrastructure improvement) they get, yet they only ever moan about how bad things are. 

• Are Hibs destined for permanent mediocrity, given that everyone signed or appointed 'needs to go' less than 12 months later?

Edited by Tommy Tappin

2 minutes ago, Tommy Tappin said:

Random Thoughts:

• How many sacked managers can you be told about before you start wondering if the manager is the only problem?

• The much hated Kensell has taken Hibs from £8.6m revenue (down from £8.9m the previous year on Dumpster's watch) to £11.9m up to last summer, while getting the wages to turnover ratio down.  He now needs to make us profitable as he's only posted 1 profitable year so far; but fans who want him out, why? Tan and accent? too cosy with LJ to sack him (oops)? Too Tory? Too successful? 

Because he has been heavily involved in appointing Johnson and Maloney.

• McDermott oversees recruitment, why is he not getting flack for this summer's signings?

What signings deserve flack? Season is still very early. Don't think any signings deserve criticism and some look good so far, Veta, Obita

• Kit Gordon now owns us and delegates day to day responsibility for protecting her investment to Ian Gordon, like Farmer did with Petrie. Why isn't Kit Gordon getting any flack for the state of the club, like Farmer/Ron used to?

I highly doubt she is involved at all. By all accounts when Ron was ill in health Kensell was running everything, wouldn't surprise me if that is still the case with help from Ian.

• Fans who wanted LJ gone are now criticising Hibs across social media for punting him while the window is still open AND were criticising Hibs if they punted him once the window was closed.

Are they really? I am not. I think club deserve credit for acting swiftly, season can still be saved.

• Most of what Hibs fans want (removal of manager/removal of deadwood players/investment in squad/stated club ambition/infrastructure improvement) they get, yet they only ever moan about how bad things are. 

Are fans of must club not the same? Should we not moan given our recent history?

• Are Hibs destined for permanent mediocrity, given that everyone signed or appointed 'needs to go' less than 12 months later?

Do you think Johnson should have been kept like?

Not answering them all but some are easy to respond to.

2 hours ago, Tommy Tappin said:

Random Thoughts:

Cheer up Thomas.  f**k the hertz.

Think when things settle down and Levitt is back our front three will be pretty prolific, but it's a hell of a bonus to be able to bring on a classic big man little man centre forward partnership who look like they could get to 15/20 goals between them. Defence looked a lot better as well, almost as if they were organised. 

Heard it said a bit over the last few days that the squads actually ok and a decent manager should get them 5th or higher fine. Think there's something to be said for that but there's still some worries for me. Maybe the biggest one is that Obita is competing with Stevenson as a LB while also being our only like for like swap for Boyle or Youan.

I wonder if we might see a fair bit of McCallister, Zaid or Molitnikov getting cameos in the wider positions. I'll be honest I don't have the time to follow the development squad that closely but I think the two M's are naturally more central players, but as youngsters getting them used to the level in a more peripheral role maybe isn't the worst thing.

Such a shame Laidlaw's away, feel he'd actually have got a lot of game time this year. I know he's had EPL clubs in his ear for years but can't help but think we managed that badly. If he'd have seen more of a pathway to regular minutes while young here, think there's a chance he'd have wanted to stay and get a move to start at a higher level rather than in all likelihood disappear into a B team somewhere and end up back in Scotland at 22 with 14 starts from a loan spell at Wycombe for his troubles. Certainly think he could have contributed more at times last year than McKirdy, Hoppe et al.

Likewise Delferiere would seem the best back up to Jeggo, and I think with the midfield options now it has to be Jeggo, Newall +1 so there'd be chances for him to rotate in. Also Megwa at right back I'd like to see if Miller needs a rest. I know some folk think these guys aren't ready, but I'd honestly rather use them if we have to than overstretch the experienced players we do have or bring in some jobbers on the free agent list. We've been pretty poor at getting academy lads meaningful game time for over a decade now, except cases where they were clearly going to make it like Porto and Doig. The obvious retort is how many of them are actually playing at this level but you'll never know if you don't try it. 

TL:DR - in a good position at CF, bit light in some areas, play the kids

11 hours ago, GHF-23 said:

Think when things settle down and Levitt is back our front three will be pretty prolific, but it's a hell of a bonus to be able to bring on a classic big man little man centre forward partnership who look like they could get to 15/20 goals between them. Defence looked a lot better as well, almost as if they were organised. 

Heard it said a bit over the last few days that the squads actually ok and a decent manager should get them 5th or higher fine. Think there's something to be said for that but there's still some worries for me. Maybe the biggest one is that Obita is competing with Stevenson as a LB while also being our only like for like swap for Boyle or Youan.

I wonder if we might see a fair bit of McCallister, Zaid or Molitnikov getting cameos in the wider positions. I'll be honest I don't have the time to follow the development squad that closely but I think the two M's are naturally more central players, but as youngsters getting them used to the level in a more peripheral role maybe isn't the worst thing.

Such a shame Laidlaw's away, feel he'd actually have got a lot of game time this year. I know he's had EPL clubs in his ear for years but can't help but think we managed that badly. If he'd have seen more of a pathway to regular minutes while young here, think there's a chance he'd have wanted to stay and get a move to start at a higher level rather than in all likelihood disappear into a B team somewhere and end up back in Scotland at 22 with 14 starts from a loan spell at Wycombe for his troubles. Certainly think he could have contributed more at times last year than McKirdy, Hoppe et al.

Likewise Delferiere would seem the best back up to Jeggo, and I think with the midfield options now it has to be Jeggo, Newall +1 so there'd be chances for him to rotate in. Also Megwa at right back I'd like to see if Miller needs a rest. I know some folk think these guys aren't ready, but I'd honestly rather use them if we have to than overstretch the experienced players we do have or bring in some jobbers on the free agent list. We've been pretty poor at getting academy lads meaningful game time for over a decade now, except cases where they were clearly going to make it like Porto and Doig. The obvious retort is how many of them are actually playing at this level but you'll never know if you don't try it. 

TL:DR - in a good position at CF, bit light in some areas, play the kids

Just on Ethan Laidlaw, he had an offer on the table from Hibs for some time -  but he is managed by his dad and the money on offer from down south was much much bigger.

36 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Just on Ethan Laidlaw, he had an offer on the table from Hibs for some time -  but he is managed by his dad and the money on offer from down south was much much bigger.

Yeah, tbh it's more frustration speaking as I think we were always going to struggle to keep him. I think there is something to not getting a chance in the first team as well though. Obviously this summer was too late but say he'd been in the position he was, with a year on his contract and too good for the dev side really, the start of this season, someone should have sat him down and said ok if you sign a new deal the plan is to get you serious game time (30+ mins) in x number of games playing in a wide forward role, x number of games where you're getting time in a partnership with Doidge or ALF, and a handful of starts with an otherwise close to first choice team around you. If you do well and there's injuries you move up the pecking order. Now we obviously don't know what was said but I think the above is highly unlikely, as we seem much more keen to chuck lads on loan and give them 10 minutes a couple of times at the end of the season. 

That's another frustration, feel we should keep young guys in house to get their first experience of regular(ish) first team football rather than immediately looking to the loan market. O'Connor, Aitken and McIntyre all play in positions where we're short, and we've got them on loan when they could potentially do something for us. I feel you've got to give the likes of them a decent chance and then say you're not quite ready, we're sending you to the championship for the second half of the season etc rather than it being the default. Those 3 in particular - O'Connor is playing as a wide forward for Airdrie (although hasn't been starting more recently), I'd honestly rather give Aitken the odd game here and there over counting on JDH to be fit/have one of his rare good games, and McIntyre would allow Obita to play as a winger without also having to factor in being cover or competition for Stevenson. That's a lot of the depth (if not necessarily quality given their experience levels) problems in the squad solved just by waiting to see what we need from them rather than loaning them out early in the summer. 

Edited by GHF-23

8 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

We’re playing a Man United legends team for Sir David’s Gray testimonial. 

Could Tortolano recreate his halving of WGS in Gordon Rae's testimonial?

I was there. In the uncovered seats in the old cooshed. In the pissing rain. Misery 😆